Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #12,002 of 20,559
I know you asked MacedonianHero, but since I currently own the Lazuli Reference, I may be able to help fill in some details. He will be in a better position to discuss its merits/shortcomings in relation to the Heimdall 2.

1. First, many people have posted impressions of Lazuli Reference's synergy with the Utopia in this thread and elsewhere. A search may turn up some information you find helpful in making the decision.
  2. Second, in my opinion, the answer to your question is a provisional "yes." But I have not heard the Heimdall 2 to definitely say so.
  3. The Lazuli Reference is the type of component that one might use to make up for perceived sins of commission in a headphone. That is, if one's goal is to make up for relative weaknesses one perceives in the Utopia (bright signature, small stage, "unnatural" Beryllium timbre, etc.), the Lazuli Reference may be worth serious consideration. If your goal is to accentuate the inherent strengths of the Utopia (lighting speed, penetrating resolution, clear transparency) without taking away from them, the Lazuli Reference becomes more controversial for some. Why is this?
  4. I, and others, have tended to find the Lazuli Reference to add more weight to the Utopia, particularly the bottom end, to create a more immersive experience by enlarging the stage, and to warm up the sound signature. While it does not transform the Utopia into a pre-fazor Audeze or HD650, it allows the Utopia to become less uninviting to poorly recorded music. In short, the LR above all aims for "fun" where the Utopia may be said to aim for uncompromised technical prowess (for a dynamic driver).
  5. While the Lazuli Reference does accord well with the crazy dynamics of the Utopia, some have found it to attenuate its speed, hold back its resolution, and to compromise "air" in the highest octaves. I have also read complaints that it makes the bass less textured, more undefined ("fatter" vs "tighter"). I have not been very bothered by this while using my OTL amp. But since mine is not terminated for balanced, I have been able to try it out on the DSHA-3F. It may be that as I move up in transparency in terms of my amp that I will notice this more.
  6. The Lazuli Reference is like adding a tube-amp to the Utopia without compromising too much on transparency. The good thing about the Utopia, I have found--and what makes it great with the ZDS--is that its technicalities allow it to shine through components in the chain that may warm up the sound signature. Perhaps this is the magic (re: science) of the Focal beryllium drivers.
  7. The ergonomics are not too bad, but it will add weight and bulk to the headphone, unlike some other offerings--pretty much the opposite of the Heimdall II or, from what I read, the WyWires Platinum.
  8. It is not cheap.
Final thoughts are that the Danacable is a fun cable to pair with the Utopia. It is worth an audition if your objective is to offset perceived sins of commission in the Utopia, your system, or both. As with WyWires, Danacable offers a 30-day money back guarantee.

I stand by my statement that the Norne Silvergarde 3 is the best cable I have yet heard with the Utopia. I found that it played very well to the Utopia's inherent strengths while never introducing a hint of fatigue--as good silver should. Maybe it compromised some air in the top octaves but less so than the Draug Silver in my opinion. Time will soon tell if I prefer the Arctic Cables Silver (Signum +) or the WyWires Platinum to the S3 and the Lazuli Reference. If we can go by recent impressions, this very well may be the case.

I was expecting weight and warmth with the Danacable but what I got was even better. Tube-like sweet mids and extended highs with more resolution and blacker background than the original 3m stock cable. This is out of a Dave/mscaler combo.

I already had enough weight and warmth with the original stock cable on the Dave with HF filter on. Comparing the 2 cables on my setup, the stock is warmer but the Danacable actually has more bass extension as well. Everything is noticeably better with the Danacable.

I went for 3m length and the Furutech 1/4” headphone plug. It’s even heavier than the stock but never had issues since sit almost 10 feet away from my setup.

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #12,003 of 20,559
Recently upgraded the USB data source of my Sony TA-ZH1ES from an iPhone as a Roon endpoint to a Sonore microRendu with their basic linear power supply, also as a Roon endpoint. The Utopia on the Sony now sound amazing, very detailed, but with less glare than when I was using iPhone as the Roon endpoint.
The Sony amp is stellar with the Utopia, having owned it for 6 months or so. Great amp/dac with a reasonable footprint and sound approaching top end separates (imo). While I like my Lumin T2/Headamp GSX-mini better, the Sony gets close like 85% of the way at a fraction of the price.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #12,005 of 20,559
they will, you can buy a case etc

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #12,007 of 20,559
How is the Moon 430 ha with the Utopia phones? I’m enjoying a pair of LCD4’s now with the Moon amp and am getting a pair of Utopia’s next week just to mix it up a little.
I’ve never heard the utopia and moon amp together.
i own the utopia and have demoed the moon in the past.
if you like the 4’s with the moon then my guess is there is a strong chance you’ll love the utopias.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #12,011 of 20,559
Thanks would you know the accessories difference, please ? Is it more cables ?? i.e. included balanced cable, for the extra cost ??

Originally it came with a 3m, fairly thick cable, and that was it. It now comes with a hard-shell carrying case and (I believe) a few cables, but I'm not sure the exact differences on the cables.

Here's the differences with the newest version.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #12,012 of 20,559
How is the Moon 430 ha with the Utopia phones? I’m enjoying a pair of LCD4’s now with the Moon amp and am getting a pair of Utopia’s next week just to mix it up a little.

Sound fantastic. Haven't had a chance to compare the Utopias on another amp in that category/price range, but I have zero complaints about the pairing of the 430HAD and Utopias.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #12,013 of 20,559
I was expecting weight and warmth with the Danacable but what I got was even better. Tube-like sweet mids and extended highs with more resolution and blacker background than the original 3m stock cable. This is out of a Dave/mscaler combo.

I already had enough weight and warmth with the original stock cable on the Dave with HF filter on. Comparing the 2 cables on my setup, the stock is warmer but the Danacable actually has more bass extension as well. Everything is noticeably better with the Danacable.

I went for 3m length and the Furutech 1/4” headphone plug. It’s even heavier than the stock but never had issues since sit almost 10 feet away from my setup.

I agree with your characterization of the Lazuli Reference. Interesting you find the stock to be warmer. At some point, I will go back and do comparisons again.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #12,014 of 20,559
430 probably is overkill for the utopia...the lcd-4 needs more power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back