Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #12,031 of 20,602
The 3F seems to capitalize on the inherent strengths of each one of those cans listed, even though it was optimized for the Focal.

A pair of Susvara look mighty tantalizing, although I think I am a "dyed-in-the-wool" dynamic driver type of listener. Planars have an overall dryness to their presentation that just doesn't "grab" me.

FWIW (I’ve only had brief experiences with planars, mostly during shows), the susvara is the only hifiman planar I’ve ever liked and it was a total disappointment with the 3F. At my friends place, it just sounded much better driven by his power amp.

The 3F is a really nice unit but Doug himself expressed doubts on it driving other headphones at their best such as high impedance cans like hd600 (I actually love the pairing though). These hifiman cans require behemoth power to sound alive it seems...

arnaud

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #12,032 of 20,602
FWIW (I’ve only had brief experiences with planars, mostly during shows), the susvara is the only hifiman planar I’ve ever liked and it was a total disappointment with the 3F. At my friends place, it just sounded much better driven by his power amp.

The 3F is a really nice unit but Doug himself expressed doubts on it driving other headphones at their best such as high impedance cans like hd600 (I actually love the pairing though). These hifiman cans require behemoth power to sound alive it seems...

arnaud
I found that the 3F did not adequately power the HE-6se. However, that's the only can I've paired with the 3F with less than stellar results:

Planars: HEKv2, HEKse, EFO 1.1, Ether 2, RAD-0
Dynamics: Auteur, HD-6xx, Utopia (a gimme)

For reference, I've previously owned BHA-1 & V280, and currently own 3F, Liquid Platinum, Audio-GD Master 11 (which did power the HE-6se quite well). I get that there are no tube amps in there, and that 3F is either a little pricier (than BHA-1 & V280) or a lot more so than any other amp I've owned, so ... grain of salt :)

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #12,034 of 20,602
I'm a little in the dark about this 3F amp. What makes it so great as a pairing with the Utopia?
Can’t say for others, but for me, it’s a combination of these:

- Overall synergy which allows Utopia strengths to shine (detail, speed, tonality, extension, bass quality) while reducing the tendency to seem a bit ‘sharp’ to some ears but not diminishing energy
- Somehow manages to be almost ‘wire-with-gain’ without seeming boring/referency/analytical
- Increased bass quantity without loss of quality, especially w/ Nickel transformers
- Added headstage space, especially with Amorphous transformers
- Considering how much I spent, it must be great

Seriously, I can’t claim to hear ‘that much’ difference between good amps. So maybe the whole thing is the placebo effect. But placebos taste gooooood! :ksc75smile:

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #12,035 of 20,602

- Overall synergy which allows Utopia strengths to shine (detail, speed, tonality, extension, bass quality) while reducing the tendency to seem a bit ‘sharp’ to some ears but not diminishing energy
- Somehow manages to be almost ‘wire-with-gain’ without seeming boring/referency/analytical
- Increased bass quantity without loss of quality, especially w/ Nickel transformers

Seriously, I can’t claim to hear ‘that much’ difference between good amps. So maybe the whole thing is the placebo effect. But placebos taste gooooood! :ksc75smile:

Thanks for the rundown.

Was this item a limited run or something? Their website isn't super clear.

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #12,036 of 20,602

Is it safe to say that V280 would soudne warmer, thicker, and less air at high freq?

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #12,037 of 20,602
...Was this item a limited run or something? Their website isn't super clear.
Yes, Doug does them in batches. I don’t know if he has another batch planned. You could reach out to him & ask: dsavitsk@ecpaudio.com
Is it safe to say that V280 would soudne warmer, thicker, and less air at high freq?
Caveat, my V280 was sold about 4 months before my 3F arrived.

But yes, from my memory, V280 was those things. To my ears, the V280 & BHA-1 were very close, while the 3F seems ‘lighter’. Still great dynamics & impact though.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #12,038 of 20,602
Anyone have any thoughts as to what all-in-one-box Dac/amp pairs best with Utopias? Any experience with the Gold Note DS10 or the Pre Box RS2? Wondering how they might stack up against a Mytek or a Matrix.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #12,039 of 20,602
Anyone have any thoughts as to what all-in-one-box Dac/amp pairs best with Utopias? Any experience with the Gold Note DS10 or the Pre Box RS2? Wondering how they might stack up against a Mytek or a Matrix.
It's going to come done to your preference in sound. The best way to decide what works best for you and a given headphone is to do some listening. The Utopia's are so easy to drive and finding the right amp/DAC pairing to get the most out of them is a fun exercise.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #12,040 of 20,602
Maybe it’s just me but I find my Moon 430 HA seems to drive my new Utopia phones beautifully. I don’t feel the phones at all bass shy and the mids and highs seem just right. My Utopia may have 15 or 20 hours play so they will further change for the better. I’m not missing my Lcd4 and they are beautiful phones. Maybe once the Utopia have a few hundred hours play I’ll give the Lcd4 a listen again.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #12,041 of 20,602
It's going to come done to your preference in sound. The best way to decide what works best for you and a given headphone is to do some listening. The Utopia's are so easy to drive and finding the right amp/DAC pairing to get the most out of them is a fun exercise.
Indeed - unfortunately I won’t visit stores for the foreseeable future, so it’s helpful to get others’ experience and wisdom. No substitute for personal experience, but the best I can hope for under the circumstances.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #12,042 of 20,602
Hi there. Does anyone know where in Tokyo I could sample the Utopia cans? I tested the Stellia and Clear and was able to find a nice balance with the Clear. The Stellia headphones were also really good but the mid bass drowned out a little bit of the bits. I’m wondering which Focal set might be right. The Elegia are lacking in bass, as I think those are meant for studio monitoring.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #12,043 of 20,602
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #12,044 of 20,602
Fujiya May be the only place as the other places I checked and struck out completely

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #12,045 of 20,602

Chord Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back