Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 28, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #12,046 of 20,602
Fujiya May be the only place as the other places I checked and struck out completely

Unfortunately, the 2 utopias listed on the site are sold out so I actually don't have high hopes for them having 1 on demo there...

I am surprised none of the other usual suspects have one in store for audition, maybe it does not sell these days and they focus on Stellia / Clear etc?

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #12,047 of 20,602
Unfortunately, the 2 utopias listed on the site are sold out so I actually don't have high hopes for them having 1 on demo there...

I am surprised none of the other usual suspects have one in store for audition, maybe it does not sell these days and they focus on Stellia / Clear etc?
I can find utopia headphones. But at this rate, only risk free way is to get on Amazon, and if I don’t like it, I can send it back. But that’s it.

Thank you, though. All I can do is ask

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #12,048 of 20,602
I have own the Utopia almost since the came out.
I also have owned the Nordost Heimdall II, the Lazuli Reference and now the Axios AG.

All 3 are great cables but IMO and to my taste the Axios AG is the clear winner but it is significantly more expensive than the other two.
To me both the Heimdall II and the Lazuli Reference have ergonomic issues (stiffness and/or weight). Out of those two I personally prefer the Lazili Reference which provides more body to the sound of the Utopia.

I listened to the Utopia/Axious AG at Axpona in the Woo room. They were powered with a WA33 Elite Edition and a big Meitner DAC. The sound was amazing. I never heard the Utopia with that much body and bass without loosing the detail at the upper end. I even thought that with a system like that I would not need my electrostatic rig.
Then I listen to the HD800 with the Axios AG in the same system and once again I was surprised by the bass from the HD800 which I also own and replace the cable and the wire from the connector to the drivers with OCC Copper wire.

After that experience I decided to by the Axios AG. I own a Bricasti M1SE DAC and I am using a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP or a Wells Audio Enigma (with upgrades).These amps are not at the level of the WA33 Elite Edition but I get pretty close to the sound I heard in Axpona.

Since the Axios AG is expensive I wanted to maximize it’s use so I contacted Affinitycables and Sean made me direct adapters to use my Utopia cable with all my other headphones. In every case the sound improved in transparency, detail, body, bass, soundstage presentation just like with the Utopia. Using the cable with all the headphones I can justify better it’s cost... at least in my mind:relaxed:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #12,049 of 20,602
Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Stellia after spending a month with the Elegia. I bought the Utopia at the same time also. Looking at cable options for both it looks like the Black Dragon Silver (Utopia) and Black (Stellia) are popular. Seemingly well priced too I might add. I'm debating DAC/AMP options at the moment and would love some advice.

My circumstances are that I have a home office setup (2 work days, 2 weekend days), and in office setup (3 days). For home I am currently running an RME ADI-2 V2 feeding an Audio GD D28.38. For work I was using an iFi HipDAC with the Elegia, but I let that go with the Elegia last week. I'm on the lookout for a new transportable/portable soluton and I am debating the Mojo and Hugo 2 for the Stellia specifically. I drive to work and don't have a specific need for a DAP or ultra portable like the HipDAC or Mojo specifically.

I've been trialling a Hugo 2 at home the past 2 days with my Stellia (replicating a work setup) and I think this might be the right choice. To me, it seems to well replicate the RME/Audio GD setup I have at home, but in a transportable arrangement. I haven't yet tried the Mojo with the Stellia, but I will try to in the next few days before I decide on the Hugo 2. Overall though, I really am enjoying the Hugo 2 with both my Utopia and Stellia - Stellia more so though. I can't say exactly why, but it works better.

I'm also debating switching things up on my home setup now. I was initially planning on replacing my RME/Audio GD components and replacing with the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir, though now I am wondering whether I just sell the RME/AGD, buy the Mjolnir and use the Hugo 2 on days at home, and take it with me on those fewer days in the office. I've got my eyes set on an Empyrean to round things out for Utopia balancing at home, with Stellia more or less for the office or specific closed needs.

Where's the question in this? lol - Well I suppose I am wondering what advice I can get specifically to the Utopia and how I intend on using it, but also how those components I am considering work in a home/office transportable setup.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #12,050 of 20,602
Actually, which headset would anyone recommend if my amp is the Sony TA-ZH1ES with sources being my Windows PC and Sony NW-WM1Z. The MDR-Z1R sounded good, but the clamp force was not comfortable. So I’m seeing what Focal options to look into. The Clear and Utopia seem most appealing

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #12,051 of 20,602
The Dave is a really appealing piece of gear. My biggest question/concern is that I do all of my listening on Tidal as I found Qobuz’s catalogue a bit lacking. Without getting into the MQA pro/con conversation, many of my favorite albums are MQA, so would I be missing out on some extra sparkle with the Dave over, say, a Matrix, Mytek, or Topping stack? I'm seeing that more and more of the ultra-high end gear, like dCS, is MQA compliant, and I fear that some of these philosophical holdouts like Schiit and Chord are simply denying their customers an option. Any Dave/Utopia owners have any thoughts about Tidal/Qobuz MQA? With the upsampling, does MQA even make a difference?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #12,052 of 20,602
Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Stellia after spending a month with the Elegia. I bought the Utopia at the same time also. Looking at cable options for both it looks like the Black Dragon Silver (Utopia) and Black (Stellia) are popular. Seemingly well priced too I might add. I'm debating DAC/AMP options at the moment and would love some advice.

My circumstances are that I have a home office setup (2 work days, 2 weekend days), and in office setup (3 days). For home I am currently running an RME ADI-2 V2 feeding an Audio GD D28.38. For work I was using an iFi HipDAC with the Elegia, but I let that go with the Elegia last week. I'm on the lookout for a new transportable/portable soluton and I am debating the Mojo and Hugo 2 for the Stellia specifically. I drive to work and don't have a specific need for a DAP or ultra portable like the HipDAC or Mojo specifically.

I've been trialling a Hugo 2 at home the past 2 days with my Stellia (replicating a work setup) and I think this might be the right choice. To me, it seems to well replicate the RME/Audio GD setup I have at home, but in a transportable arrangement. I haven't yet tried the Mojo with the Stellia, but I will try to in the next few days before I decide on the Hugo 2. Overall though, I really am enjoying the Hugo 2 with both my Utopia and Stellia - Stellia more so though. I can't say exactly why, but it works better.

I'm also debating switching things up on my home setup now. I was initially planning on replacing my RME/Audio GD components and replacing with the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir, though now I am wondering whether I just sell the RME/AGD, buy the Mjolnir and use the Hugo 2 on days at home, and take it with me on those fewer days in the office. I've got my eyes set on an Empyrean to round things out for Utopia balancing at home, with Stellia more or less for the office or specific closed needs.

Where's the question in this? lol - Well I suppose I am wondering what advice I can get specifically to the Utopia and how I intend on using it, but also how those components I am considering work in a home/office transportable setup.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
the hugo2 would/shoud work well with all 3 of those hps, with the bonus of being transportable

i would stick with that, keep your current gear for now and see later on if you need/would like a change
most of us get itchy for a change so tgere's a good chance you might want one too and that's when you can look at things

imho don't sell anything at the moment and stay with the hugo - to be used as a portable dac amp and desktop dac ot dac/amp in the future

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #12,054 of 20,602
Anyone have any thoughts as to what all-in-one-box Dac/amp pairs best with Utopias? Any experience with the Gold Note DS10 or the Pre Box RS2? Wondering how they might stack up against a Mytek or a Matrix.
I have used the Utopia's with Chord Hugo TT2, Chord DAVE and Chord DAVE with a Pass Labs HPA-1 for a few months.

In the Chord line up here are my personal likes:
- Chord DAVE w/ Pass Labs HPA-1: If you are looking for power to also drive the low end bass then I would say the Chord DAVE+ Pass Labs HPA-1 will give the best combination of Resolution, detail, Stage Depth and layering. You do loose some resolution with the external headphone but its only noticeable on a A/B comparison. And I still preferred the sound thru the Pass Labs HPA-1 for rock & pop.
- Chord DAVE: If you are looking for the best resolution, detail, stage depth and layering then Chord DAVE with its built in headphone amp (Direct to DAC).
- Chord Hugo TT2: This is the best single box solution for the price to performance in the Chord Lineup and it has the power to drive the Utopias from the Headphone output . Still the DAVE is the KING when it comes to detail and stage depth perception in the Chord Lineup.
- Chord TT2 (Filter 4 option) with MScaler comes very close to the DAVE.

These views are obviously very dependent on my music tastes and the sound I like. Unfortunately, I have become very addicted to the Chord sound.
Hope this helps.

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #12,055 of 20,602
So I just got Utopias and well um wow okay let's see huh yeah geez well the thing is right um... they're really really good.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #12,057 of 20,602
As an alternative to after market cables that cost $1000+ the Audio Art HPX-1SE is a wonderful sounding cable for under $400. I am using this cable with awesome results on both my Utopia and Lcd4 headphones. Highly recommended cable.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #12,058 of 20,602
How do you clean the drivers covered by the metal grill? Not at all? I have one stubborn dust particle stuck in it... I could use a blower (for photo equipment) but I don’t want to damage anything.
Turn up the music...that should dislodge it! But seriously, I think a photo blower will be just fine if it really bothers you.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #12,059 of 20,602
Glad I could experience them. Took a 50 minute listen, so I’m thankful I can understand their sound signature. A few pictures:
405D4E18-61AA-4970-B823-021BC106294A.jpeg
BD17A463-9F1B-40AA-92C8-73A19F3A8335.jpeg
6CA2FAEC-164B-4C82-B3E5-06F5646C8C7D.jpeg

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #12,060 of 20,602
JuSt received my brand new set with the new packaging and cable . Out of the box it actually sounds a lot smoother than i expected . Don’t know if it’s the new cable or the Hugo tt2. When I first demoed the Utopia last year I used a dap(Cayin N8) , and I felt it was too bright , so didn’t get along with it too much .
This new pair actually sounds fantastic out of the box .. Will see if burn in will change the sound a bit .

12FACC4B-89F8-4B18-BDB8-1076B34D9A1C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back