Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #11,987 of 20,559
I'm familiar with heimdall 2, but never heard Dana, even though lately I'm eyeing their line up. So if Nordost could be too sterile/bright (for me), Lazuli Reference could be better suit me?

I like the soundstage performance of Nordost though, what do you think compare to soundstage with Lazuli Ref?

Thanks

I don't find the Nordost sterile in anyway...just brilliant cables that tell you the truth and still very musical. The ergonomics are really good too. That said, the Lazuli is a fantastic cable too with a very inviting warmth that many (myself included) enjoy.

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #11,988 of 20,559
And since you are using the slightly warmly tuned GSX-mini with the Utopia, a more neutral cable probably makes more sense at this point anyway. The Heimdall was a popular cable with the Utopia, particularly in the early days of its release, as was the Kimber Axios. I don't hear much discussion about them anymore though. But yes, the Lazuli Reference is a well-regarded pairing with the Utopia, for good reason, making them more accessible to those easily fatigued by the Beryllium drivers.

I also happen to really enjoy the Utopia/Heimdall 2 with my HPA4 (which I would beg at dead neutral to my ears) and love it! These cables still offer a touch of warmth and outstanding detail retrieval and work great with both amplifiers and straight out of my DAVE.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #11,989 of 20,559
I don't find the Nordost sterile in anyway...just brilliant cables that tell you the truth and still very musical. The ergonomics are really good too. That said, the Lazuli is a fantastic cable too with a very inviting warmth that many (myself included) enjoy.

Oh nice to hear that, thank you!

Jun 17, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #11,990 of 20,559
Oh nice to hear that, thank you!

No problem. I'm actually listening to my Utopia with this cable on my GS-X mini / DAVE balanced and I'm floored...its like Gordon Lightfoot is right here in my family room playing just for me.

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #11,991 of 20,559
😃 Hooray, my Utopia (the second one in my life) arrived. It is really nice to unpack the v2 box and accessories, Focal really upped their game here.

The headphone feels different to me ... I had a very early unit before (sn 000068) which sounded great ... and it creaked a lot. It did not bother me at that time but I obviously prefer the non creaking version. The bridge, leather and construct of the new one feels different as well. Surprising.
80BD2370-DBEE-4AA3-83E5-725C3EAD0D89.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #11,992 of 20,559
😃 Hooray, my Utopia (the second one in my life) arrived. It is really nice to unpack the v2 box and accessories, Focal really upped their game here.

The headphone feels different to me ... I had a very early unit before (sn below 350) which sounded great ... and it creaked a lot. It did not bother me at that time but I obviously prefer the non creaking version. The bridge and construct of the new one feels different to me as well. Surprising.
Congrats!

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #11,994 of 20,559

The headphone feels different to me ... I had a very early unit before (sn 000068) which sounded great ... and it creaked a lot. It did not bother me at that time but I obviously prefer the non creaking version. The bridge, leather and construct of the new one feels different as well. Surprising.
that would be surprising indeed - if it were true

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #11,996 of 20,559
And exactly why would I lie on this? The change in creaking - or not creaking - and underlying change in how the components are connected is a fact. But seems you are one of those persons who has seen them all.
i'm not suggesting that you're lying but you could be mistaken. not all utopia's creak and that includes the earlier models. in order for you to prove your claim that there is an "underlying change in how the components are connected", you would need to know how your first and second pair of utopia's are assembled, and i assume that you no longer have the first pair for comparison anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #11,997 of 20,559
i'm not suggesting that you're lying but you could be mistaken. not all utopia's creak and that includes the earlier models. in order for you to prove your claim that there is an "underlying change in how the components are connected", you would need to know how your first and second pair of utopia's are assembled, and i assume that you no longer have the first pair for comparison anyway.

Hi Up Late, ok let's leave it at that, it's all about headphone fun :). I of course also do not know how they are assembled, and if the first one was standard or not, but I could feel a lot going on inside the headband when I extended or shortened the right and left side.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #11,998 of 20,559
Hi Up Late, ok let's leave it at that, it's all about headphone fun :). I of course also do not know how they are assembled, and if the first one was standard or not, but I could feel a lot going on inside the headband when I extended or shortened the right and left side.
you didn't seem to be having much fun in your previous post but yes, let's move on

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #11,999 of 20,559
Recently upgraded the USB data source of my Sony TA-ZH1ES from an iPhone as a Roon endpoint to a Sonore microRendu with their basic linear power supply, also as a Roon endpoint. The Utopia on the Sony now sound amazing, very detailed, but with less glare than when I was using iPhone as the Roon endpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back