Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 26, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #11,161 of 20,559
Oct 26, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #11,162 of 20,559
I’ve been searching far and wide, and came across this:
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/the-rfi-problem_topic59_page1.html

It looks to me like most of the cables that I’ve found, including those recommended here, and not shielded, other than braiding. The article states braiding is not sufficient shielding, which makes sense to me.

Am I missing something?

yup.....

Not sure where to start. A much better, comprehensive explanation on this topic is available in this white paper: https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-095.pdf . Another short, non technical explanation is here, on why guitar cables are shielded, and speaker cables are not: https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/why-instrument-cables-arent-the-same-as-speaker-cables

The secret lies in the formulas - are you listening next to something that is emitting a lot of EMI/RFI? Since the signal in your cable is already amplified most RFI is inconsequential - the interference would need to be very close to your cable. Since we are talking about an analog, it will reveal itself as a noise floor, which you can determine by just turning up the volume. In the original poster's thread, they are discussing record players. Like electric instruments, they are dealing with UNAMPLIFIED very weak signals which are much more susceptible.

The real issue is unshielded cables GIVE OFF EMI/RFI. I had an issue with traditional speaker wires (also unshielded) coming off my monoblock amps running alongside my HDMI cable for my rear speakers in my theater. Drove me crazy I could never get the projector to properly connect at 4k. Turns out the speaker cables were putting out enough EMI to throw off the error correction in my HDMI cable, reducing it's throughput to below the 18gbs required for the 4k HDR signal. I switched it to a fiber optic cable to fix the problem.

for 99% of the traditional use cases for headphones, this just isn't a real world problem.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #11,163 of 20,559
Thanks for the information. Makes sense.

The balanced cable I tied was a chord, and I think it is the only one I found that is actually shielded. The person who lent it to me told me that is the reason it sounded so good. Does that not sound correct then?

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #11,164 of 20,559
Thanks for the information. Makes sense.

The balanced cable I tied was a chord, and I think it is the only one I found that is actually shielded. The person who lent it to me told me that is the reason it sounded so good. Does that not sound correct then?

The thing is, too much shielding & it will change the sound to a more darker, veiled sound.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #11,166 of 20,559
Has anyone tried the Neotech 24 AWG silver/gold wire?
That might be my next cable venture.

+1 for this

I have a Neotech 23 AWG solid core silver cable for the Utopia and a Neotech 24 AWG stranded silver cable for another headphone. The former seems smoother and a little "warmer" compared to the latter, although I've never been able to compare them on the same pair of headphones. Would be curious to know what a little gold does for or to the sound.

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #11,167 of 20,559
The Utopia/ZDS combo never fails to eviscerate my sleep patterns. I just cannot describe to you how fun and immersive this chain sounds, sourced by an ancient Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 DAC.

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #11,168 of 20,559
I confirmed with Focal the warrantee is 5 years, at least in Canada. However, if you change their cable (I was considering getting it spliced to make a balanced cable out if it) you void the warrantee on the headphones themselves. He said:

“Using a cable you spliced yourself would void the warranty. We would have no guarantee that your work was done properly and that your cable isn't damaging the headphones. There are a number of third-party cables on the market from reputable brands that could provide an appropriate replacement cable.
Thanks for checking though.”

Hmm. Sounds like they are spouting nonsense to me. How can a wrongly spliced cable damage the headphones? You can damage the source by shorting it but I cant see any possible way to damage the Utopias. Worst case you get no sound until you fix the wiring

Oct 27, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #11,169 of 20,559
The Utopia/ZDS combo never fails to eviscerate my sleep patterns. I just cannot describe to you how fun and immersive this chain sounds, sourced by an ancient Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 DAC.
Sorry, but which cable is the ZDS?

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #11,173 of 20,559
Sorry, but which cable is the ZDS?

The ZDS stands for Zana Deux Super. It is an updated version (2016) of a classic OTL amp by Eddie Current. It is currently out of production, so those who want one will have to find one on the used market. The high output impedance of most OTL amps makes them less than ideal for the Utopia. But the ZDS can switch between either 3 or 20 OI depending on headphone. It is also very neutral for a tube amp and can even sound bright with the right tube (or dark with others). The pairing with Utopia communicates the best synergy between components I have owned, although of course I haven't heard everything. I would cherish the opportunity to hear it direct from Dave at some point in my life.

With that said, I also like solid state with the Utopia (although my experience here is more limited with this particular headphone).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #11,174 of 20,559
The ZDS stands for Zana Deux Super. It is an updated version (2016) of a classic OTL amp by Eddie Current. It is currently out of production, so those who want one will have to find one on the used market. The high output impedance of most OTL amps makes them less than ideal for the Utopia. But the ZDS can switch between either 3 or 20 OI depending on headphone. It is also very neutral for a tube amp and can even sound bright with the right tube (or dark with others). The pairing with Utopia communicates the best synergy between components I have owned, although of course I haven't heard everything. I would cherish the opportunity to hear it direct from Dave at some point in my life.

With that said, I also like solid state with the Utopia (although my experience here is more limited with this particular headphone).
Have you heard Utopia with Feliks Euforia? I find the pairing to have excellent synergy.

Oct 28, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #11,175 of 20,559
Have you heard Utopia with Feliks Euforia? I find the pairing to have excellent synergy.

Unfortunately, I have not had the privilege of hearing the Euforia with any headphones. The comments I have heard about the Euforia have been invariably positive. Interesting that it also has synergy with the Utopias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back