Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 1, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #11,176 of 20,624
"The level of detail retrieval is simply unbeatable, and the way it does it so effortlessly, just wow."

Stax SR-009 : "Hold my beer"

I finally had a chance to listen to the 009. It was connected to a stax amp (don't know which model). It was a very brief listen as I was rushing for time.

Very clear and transparent up top and indeed very detailed. Feels just a little light in the mids. Bass is very very tight and does extend low, but not impactful; it does complement the music well tho. Guitar strings sound really nice on the 009.

There is surprisingly a lot of plastic on those headphones..!

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #11,177 of 20,624
If you liked what you heard then listen to it on a Gilmore amp. The difference is night and day. Dramatic improvement.
Most of the time I prefer it to my Utopia - although the Utopia is still the King of non estat headphones imho

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #11,179 of 20,624
Got my Utopia recently. Now driving it with my Hugo TT2. I’m so happy with this synergy. Sounds better from the headphone stage of TT2 compares to Dave’s headphone output.
Congrats. I can attest to this combo . I've just had a loaned Hugo2 with me for a week now , and the pairing with utopia is fantastic. With TT2 being an upgrade over the Hugo2 , I can only see the performance going up .

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #11,180 of 20,624
Hi all
Disadvantages focal utopia.
I bought focal utopia from a local dealer. With a 1 year warranty period. Within 1 year, it was broken 2 times. The first time I had to send it to repair in France Takes 2 months at a time and the second time I am negotiating for him to change to a new one. Which I have been waiting for an answer from. They have passed. 1 week and no answer yet.
I know 6 people who use focal utopia, and half of them have problems, have to send it for repair.
What happens the focal in quality control?

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #11,182 of 20,624
Hi all
Disadvantages focal utopia.
I bought focal utopia from a local dealer. With a 1 year warranty period. Within 1 year, it was broken 2 times. The first time I had to send it to repair in France Takes 2 months at a time and the second time I am negotiating for him to change to a new one. Which I have been waiting for an answer from. They have passed. 1 week and no answer yet.
I know 6 people who use focal utopia, and half of them have problems, have to send it for repair.
What happens the focal in quality control?

First, I am sorry to hear this happened. I agree; the lack of quality control at this level of pricing is completely unacceptable. I thought it would have been sorted out by now.

Assuming you purchased from an authorized dealer, you actually have a five year warranty from the date of purchase. This was explained by the Focal representative in this thread. But waiting around for it is very inconvenient, and I would be quite frustrated in your shoes. @AuditoryCanvas is currently going through a similar situation.

When did you purchase the Utopia?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #11,183 of 20,624
First, I am sorry to hear this happened. I agree; the lack of quality control at this level of pricing is completely unacceptable. I thought it would have been sorted out by now.

Assuming you purchased from an authorized dealer, you actually have a five year warranty from the date of purchase. This was explained by the Focal representative in this thread. But waiting around for it is very inconvenient, and I would be quite frustrated in your shoes. @AuditoryCanvas is currently going through a similar situation.

When did you purchase the Utopia?

I bought it on October 31, 2018 and in my country got 2 years of insurance.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #11,186 of 20,624
If you are capable of searching the thread, you will discover that Focal has changed their warranty policy--it triumphs over what your dealer said--to cover five years. But this is predicated on the condition you purchased from an authorized dealer.

My Utopia works fine and has not malfunctioned (yet).

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #11,187 of 20,624
If you are capable of searching the thread, you will discover that Focal has changed their warranty policy--it triumphs over what your dealer said--to cover five years. But this is predicated on the condition you purchased from an authorized dealer.

My Utopia works fine and had not malfunctioned (yet).
Thank you for your advice I will find those policies to see
And wish you luck in using it. :wink:

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #11,190 of 20,624
Been pretty much daily driving the Utopia since September 2016 and they have held up great! Hopefully they stay that way. Sad to see people have issues with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back