Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #10,351 of 20,624
I asked this, and a few other, questions elsewhere (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-and-tinnitus.902047/) but did not get much response. I am sorry if this is considered a double post, but it is an important question for me. You can see the full history there, but basically, can notched music negatively impact the Utopia, especially during burn in? By notched music I mean processed music with a range of frequencies removed (in this case 9-13kHz).

Thanks!
sorry about your tinnitus problem but burn-in is a contentious topic in audiophile circles

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #10,353 of 20,624
in some cases the change is very small or non but some cases there is burn in...

my most obvious one was the FX1100.... I hated it, it was very boomy but after 200 hours the booming disappeared, it became punchier...

and may other equipments, cables as well....

so there is burn in, I hear it many times.

Mar 16, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #10,354 of 20,624

My humble opinion, is that burn in can only improve headphones (and do a lot on speakers). So as the cable needs burn in, just plug the headphone on it and it wont do any harm to the headphone. The worse I can expect is nothing, the best is improvements.
Now, I try to never listen to headphones and cables before they are burn in not to be influenced. So first think I do when they arrive, I plug them on a cheap CD desk, use the "repeat" function and have the whole is running for five complete night and days in a separate room.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #10,355 of 20,624
Have my new Utopias hooked on a radio in our guestroom for 4 days now and only have the occasional listen for a few songs now and then...not enough to warrant 'brain burn in'.
What I have noticed is that the overall sound gets fuller/ more body which also means the soundstage widens. The brightness I heard in the beginning is gone and only pops up when it is actually in the song.
The clarity and speed is outstanding.
Also, once you are able to ' stomach' the upfront presentation, everything sort of settles down( now that would be 'brain burn in') and your literally 'sitting in the music'!

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #10,356 of 20,624
i'd like to think that i'm familiar with the sound of my utopia. i didn't detect any change after the drivers were replaced, which was reassuring.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #10,357 of 20,624
in some cases the change is very small or non but some cases there is burn in...

my most obvious one was the FX1100.... I hated it, it was very boomy but after 200 hours the booming disappeared, it became punchier...

and may other equipments, cables as well....

so there is burn in, I hear it many times.

Yes, my experience as well regarding the FX1100.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #10,358 of 20,624
I certainly have noticed a difference in my first week. Maybe brain burn in, maybe not, but it is quite a change.

So, if you don’t believe it happens then using notched music shouldn’t matter. But if you do believe burn in happens, do you think notched music can negatively inpact the headphone sound?

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #10,359 of 20,624
i doubt that it would matter either way tbh but you would need to ask an expert. have you enquired with focal?

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #10,361 of 20,624
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

I stay at your disposal if you have any questions.

Best regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #10,363 of 20,624
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

Best regards

Nice!

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #10,365 of 20,624
Dear all,

Best regards

Bravo, this is the way treat your customers. My dealer has informed me about the warranty extension, so it’s the real deal!

Thank you, I believe this action of yours has restored confidence in Focal products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back