Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #9,226 of 20,624
That doesn't sound right. About the only negative I've heard about the Hugo2/Utopia pairing is that it isn't as good as Dave/Utopia.

That said, I'm guessing that you like the T1, and frankly, Utopia is in the same SQ family, so 'only slightly better' isn't really surprising. I get that the Utopia is almost 4X the T1 list price, but over $1000, diminishing returns eats up a huge amount of your cash. However, 'very lack luster' suggests there's some problem. While Utopia might not excel at trepanation the way the T1 does, I can't imagine ever calling its sound 'lack luster'. 'In a tube' might be a way of saying that the Utopia sound stage is much more intimate than the T1 -- very true. Or...

there may be something wrong with your Utopia. You should probably contact your dealer.

Really? You think they sound similar?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #9,228 of 20,624
...Utopia is in the same SQ family...
Really? You think they sound similar?
No, I'd say there are many significant differences between Utopia and T1g2 (only T1 I've heard). But I would say that both are on the same neutral/analytical/bright side of the street vs (say) various LCDs.

If I were very familiar with T1, and liked its sig, then I might hear Utopia as similar, but less top-end forward. And I would hear Utopia as having more intimate staging.

Personally, I didn't care for T1, only listened to it for a few sessions. I found that it literally hurt my ears after 30 minutes of listening or so, and I sold it fairly quickly.

Out of the box, I found that Utopia had bit of that same feel, a bit sharp on top. But not nearly so severe as the T1 sound -- and if @diadack likes the T1, that reduction might lead to his 'lack luster' assessment.

FWIW, in my current champion chain (see my sig) I would NOT call Utopia bright (or sharp). In fact, I wouldn't call it anything except marvelous.

T1s are long gone, so I can't say what they would sound like in my current system.

Dec 10, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #9,229 of 20,624
I got my T1s bundled with the matching A20 amplifier a couple of years ago as my first true “audiophile” set up I guess. It definelty cut off the sharpness of the treble, with the Hugo 2 they do become very bright. There is no doubt that I preferred the sound of the utopia over the T1s but the imaging and staging just seemed off to me compared to what I’ve read in these threads.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #9,230 of 20,624
Did you get it back? How was/is the service?

Not yet. As I was told to expect at least a 3 month wait. My guess is maybe Feb 2019 period.

I have one question in my mind.

Since I have one driver failure. However, it's logical to replace both drivers since they should be match acoustically. The question is should I be paying for the one driver that fail and the other is Focal duty to replace, or I should be paying for both?

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #9,236 of 20,624
After much thinking, I decided to place an order for the Sony TA-ZH1ES amp/DAC. With the Kimber Axios CU cable that will be arriving to me in January, I believe it will pair with the Utopia nicely.

I just love the design of the Sony, and also the fact they are not using an off the shelf DAC chip but a proprietary FPGA (similar to what Chord does with their DACs). Another thing that brought me closer to my decision is the fact this amp/DAC is a DSD monster as it’s able to upsample everything to DSD512 on the fly. I love DSD and have a fairly large library with tracks in this format, and even use Roon to upsample PCM to DSD. Having in mind Sony invented DSD, I am prone to think their implementation should be excellent, hence my decision.

I wish to thank everybody who gave me their opinions on this matter.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #9,238 of 20,624
That doesn't sound right. About the only negative I've heard about the Hugo2/Utopia pairing is that it isn't as good as Dave/Utopia.

That said, I'm guessing that you like the T1, and frankly, Utopia is in the same SQ family, so 'only slightly better' isn't really surprising. I get that the Utopia is almost 4X the T1 list price, but over $1000, diminishing returns eats up a huge amount of your cash. However, 'very lack luster' suggests there's some problem. While Utopia might not excel at trepanation the way the T1 does, I can't imagine ever calling its sound 'lack luster'. 'In a tube' might be a way of saying that the Utopia sound stage is much more intimate than the T1 -- very true. Or...

there may be something wrong with your Utopia. You should probably contact your dealer.
He is not alone, i think that both shares this presentation that have natural mids, precise image and are very fast, the utopia is more punch and engaging...

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #9,239 of 20,624
Not yet. As I was told to expect at least a 3 month wait. My guess is maybe Feb 2019 period.

I have one question in my mind.

Since I have one driver failure. However, it's logical to replace both drivers since they should be match acoustically. The question is should I be paying for the one driver that fail and the other is Focal duty to replace, or I should be paying for both?

Three months, that is not a short time. Anybody have any idea about the driver issue or any maintenance experience with focal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back