Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 7, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #9,211 of 20,624
My kimber cables arrived thanks to the source av team and kimber.... cooper ones

ok they are expensive but not that expensive -under 1k - and i would büyük them just for the looks and Packaging alone... perfect workmanship, they are at the high end audio cables...

İ tried them with my utopia/sp1000..... ohhhh my god

Cables are not sneak oil if you choose the right one

Now waiting for my 2,5mm to 4.4mm to try them with 1z, i am a DAP junkie

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #9,212 of 20,624
My kimber cables arrived thanks to the source av team and kimber.... cooper ones

ok they are expensive but not that expensive -under 1k - and i would büyük them just for the looks and Packaging alone... perfect workmanship, they are at the high end audio cables...

İ tried them with my utopia/sp1000..... ohhhh my god

Cables are not sneak oil if you choose the right one

Now waiting for my 2,5mm to 4.4mm to try them with 1z, i am a DAP junkie

From your post I can conclude that you bought the Axios CU with LEMO connectors on the headphone side and a 2.5mm TRRS connector on the amp side. Is that right? If yes, this is exactly the cable I ordered as well, need to wait until January for delivery.

The 2.5mm trrs Axios CU comes with 8 strands of copper wire, whereas versions with larger connectors on the amp side can either be 8 strand or 16 strand, depending on the choice.

Has anyone compared the 8 strand to the 16 strand Axios? Any difference in sound apart from the number of wires (and price)?

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #9,213 of 20,624
From your post I can conclude that you bought the Axios CU with LEMO connectors on the headphone side and a 2.5mm TRRS connector on the amp side. Is that right? If yes, this is exactly the cable I ordered as well, need to wait until January for delivery.

The 2.5mm trrs Axios CU comes with 8 strands of copper wire, whereas versions with larger connectors on the amp side can either be 8 strand or 16 strand, depending on the choice.

Has anyone compared the 8 strand to the 16 strand Axios? Any difference in sound apart from the number of wires (and price)?

Yes axios cu focal/2,5 this one sounds excellent coming from the stock cable...

They did it in few says actually...

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #9,214 of 20,624
Damn that thing looks cool as ****. Another Question if you dont mind... I know its offtopic in this thread plus it might be blasphemy to ask... but I spent some time in the "science of sound" subforum and these guys seem to be 100% sure, that neither dacs, nor amps, nor cables make ANY difference regarding the sound quality... they linked some blind test, which seem to prove their point... now I am a little hesitant to invest any more money in dacs/ amps and just buy more headphones...

When I have people listen to Utopia & Hugo2 I have stopped telling them the price. It spoils everything. I let them listen and ask them to put a dollar value to the sound.

So a coworker that doesn't know about audio and had a Bose something came to my office and I let him have a listen. After only a couple of songs he asked "is this 3 thousand"?

I have another coworker who won't spent a dime on headphones. She thinks that Utopia is $300 and its simply amazing but still wound't spend the three hundred dollars to buy it.

There two kinds of people, the ones that care and pay attention and the ones who do not. From my small sample less than 50% pays attention. It is fun to discuss what they hear from Utopia that they hadn't heard before, etc. And there are the others that just don't care or pay attention and every headphone sounds the same or whatever.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #9,215 of 20,624
When I have people listen to Utopia & Hugo2 I have stopped telling them the price. It spoils everything. I let them listen and ask them to put a dollar value to the sound.

So a coworker that doesn't know about audio and had a Bose something came to my office and I let him have a listen. After only a couple of songs he asked "is this 3 thousand"?

I have another coworker who won't spent a dime on headphones. She thinks that Utopia is $300 and its simply amazing but still wound't spend the three hundred dollars to buy it.

There two kinds of people, the ones that care and pay attention and the ones who do not. From my small sample less than 50% pays attention. It is fun to discuss what they hear from Utopia that they hadn't heard before, etc. And there are the others that just don't care or pay attention and every headphone sounds the same or whatever.

hmm... I can't speak for others but usually people that are really into music have a bit of a perfectionist streak in them... so that woman you talk about there is as far from that as possible.. probably a soccer mom and interests are there...

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #9,216 of 20,624
hmm... I can't speak for others but usually people that are really into music have a bit of a perfectionist streak in them... so that woman you talk about there is as far from that as possible.. probably a soccer mom and interests are there...
that's not a bad impersonation of someone who does

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #9,222 of 20,624
I’m starting to think my utopia may have been defective. I felt they were only slightly better than my Beyerdynamic T1s out of my Hugo 2. And sometimes I found that they would muddy up and the presentation was very lack luster and in a tube

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #9,223 of 20,624
I’m starting to think my utopia may have been defective. I felt they were only slightly better than my Beyerdynamic T1s out of my Hugo 2. And sometimes I found that they would muddy up and the presentation was very lack luster and in a tube
That doesn't sound right. About the only negative I've heard about the Hugo2/Utopia pairing is that it isn't as good as Dave/Utopia.

That said, I'm guessing that you like the T1, and frankly, Utopia is in the same SQ family, so 'only slightly better' isn't really surprising. I get that the Utopia is almost 4X the T1 list price, but over $1000, diminishing returns eats up a huge amount of your cash. However, 'very lack luster' suggests there's some problem. While Utopia might not excel at trepanation the way the T1 does, I can't imagine ever calling its sound 'lack luster'. 'In a tube' might be a way of saying that the Utopia sound stage is much more intimate than the T1 -- very true. Or...

there may be something wrong with your Utopia. You should probably contact your dealer.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #9,224 of 20,624
Yeah that’s the conclusion I came to. The descritpion everyone has given of their utopias did not match the ones I had on my ears sadly so I returned them, maybe I’ll try them again some day in the future but for now I’m going to try the LCD 4z.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #9,225 of 20,624
Yeah that’s the conclusion I came to. The descritpion everyone has given of their utopias did not match the ones I had on my ears sadly so I returned them, maybe I’ll try them again some day in the future but for now I’m going to try the LCD 4z.
Well, that will certainly be a change from your T1s.

GLTY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back