Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #6,978 of 20,634
i found that pairing the utopia with a tube amp with a relatively high output impedance altered its tonal balance. harshness was not an issue, however.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #6,979 of 20,634
The solid state amp is a lot more unforgiving than my old tube amp (a modified MicroZotl 2). It's got higher resolution and better dynamics, so I like the solid state more, but paired with the Utopias it's just too harsh for extended listening. Thanks for the reply.

So far I am getting the best sound out of the Utopia with a solid-state amp, the GS-X Mk2: very dynamic bass smooth mid-range and sweet treble. There is absolutely no edginess or harshness in the sound (current digital source is the ModWright Oppo 205) With the V281, I get a fuller bass, more details and just a slight hint of edginess. I do not get long-term fatigue with either amp, just a slight hint of more solid-state sound from the V281. The GS-X sounds almost like a tube amp with tight, excellent bass through the Utopia.

I would join in and recommend a little caution with tube amps and the Utopia. Please make sure that it has sufficiently low output impedance to control the low-impenance Utopia. For example, the Apex Teton, a brilliant OTL tube amp that produces glorious sound with the high-impedance HD800S, is a very poor match for the Utopia (boomy bass and muddy sound overall). I have better results with the Woo WA5, but overall, I prefer the Utopia with a good solid-state.amp with low output impedance.

After many combinations and permutations of DAC and amps, I consistently found that the Utopia was never the source of fatiguing sound. The problem has so far been elsewhere. I would say that if I was in your shoes and got fatiguing sound out of the Utopia, my tendency would be to check my solid-state amp or my DAC as the source of the problem.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #6,980 of 20,634
What's the rough dividing line, impedance wise, between what's considered a low output impedance versus a high output impedance amplifier?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #6,981 of 20,634
What's the rough dividing line, impedance wise, between what's considered a low output impedance versus a high output impedance amplifier?

100 ohms and below is low impedance headphones, and whatever above is high. I think, I have not came accross enough equipment varieties to know for sure, but I only see that line as far as my journey had me ventured down

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #6,982 of 20,634
I was wondering about the output impedance of the amplifier not input impedance of the phones, or is amplifier output impedance load dependent?

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #6,983 of 20,634
I auditioned the viva egoista 845 last weekend from a Naim DAC V1. Wow. Just wow. The Utopia soundstage was vast. The dynamics something else. The ferocity of a full scale orchestra playing in full swing came across better than ever before. Not an incremental upgrade but an experience at a completely different level. An Abyss Diana was also at hand and it sounded like a toy headphone compared to the Utopia.

My amp/dac is a Hugo 2 which I like very much. But the soundstage size, instrument separation, and the dynamics of H2 just pale in comparison to the Naim/egoista. On details though, and I may need a second listen, I think H2 wins. Also, with the H2 I am used to some amount of crossfeed which makes the soundstage more continuous and coherent from left to right. I bet H2 is a better dac than the Naim. I am not used to write euphoric opinions but I am completely taken aback by the ferocity of this $15K amp...if you are in NY you can listen to the egoista at In Living Stereo.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #6,984 of 20,634
I auditioned the viva egoista 845 last weekend from a Naim DAC V1. Wow. Just wow. The Utopia soundstage was vast. The dynamics something else. The ferocity of a full scale orchestra playing in full swing came across better than ever before. Not an incremental upgrade but an experience at a completely different level. An Abyss Diana was also at hand and it sounded like a toy headphone compared to the Utopia.

My amp/dac is a Hugo 2 which I like very much. But the soundstage size, instrument separation, and the dynamics of H2 just pale in comparison to the Naim/egoista. On details though, and I may need a second listen, I think H2 wins. Also, with the H2 I am used to some amount of crossfeed which makes the soundstage more continuous and coherent from left to right. I bet H2 is a better dac than the Naim. I am not used to write euphoric opinions but I am completely taken aback by the ferocity of this $15K amp...if you are in NY you can listen to the egoista at In Living Stereo.
Yes, I have read an article last night.
How amazing is the prices started to be above the ceiling now.
Good god.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #6,985 of 20,634
$15K...geez... And I already consider the $10K Dave out of reach. (Though there is a used one on Audiogon for $7800, even still, nope)

Just saw some pictures. It certainly looks gorgeous.

One can always dream about what the Utopias can do on certain amps, while still remaining stunned every day at my Chord H2 & Utopia setup.

I feel like I have a BMW M3 or a Porsche 718 Cayman S, with upgraded parts, and folks are talking about Aston Martins, Lamborghinis, Paganis, Ferraris, Bugattis, and McLarens....

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #6,986 of 20,634
I am completely taken aback by the ferocity of this $15K amp

I listened to that amp briefly at that shop and was also pretty much blown away. Super-clean, crisp, and dynamic. The natural-ness of the timbre (of a jazz drum solo) was really striking, pretty much immediately, as was the soundstage. It was hooked up to a Hugo 2 and a Ether C Flow, actually. I also listened to it briefly on the Utopia, but connected to the Ether C Flow is what really left an impression on me (go figure, I can't really explain why either).

If I were to ever lose my inhibitions to spending that kind of money, I think that Egoista amp would be where that money would go (rather than, say, a super-high-end DAC).

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #6,987 of 20,634
Good god.

Yes, the price escalation is insane, but who says that our pursuit of the perfect sound is a sane activity?

I think we simply need more new headphones costing $10,000-$20,000 or more to match the newer and more expensive amps and DACs.

Is this the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6,988 of 20,634
$15K...geez... And I already consider the $10K Dave out of reach. (Though there is a used one on Audiogon for $7800, even still, nope)

Just saw some pictures. It certainly looks gorgeous.

One can always dream about what the Utopias can do on certain amps, while still remaining stunned every day at my Chord H2 & Utopia setup.

I feel like I have a BMW M3 or a Porsche 718 Cayman S, with upgraded parts, and folks are talking about Aston Martins, Lamborghinis, Paganis, Ferraris, Bugattis, and McLarens....

Let’s put that in a more correct perspective.

1st, the DAVE is $12,498.00 so a used DAVE at $7800 is a pretty good deal if it’s in good condition.

2nd) when you buy Utopia you aren’t buying a Volkswagen Passat, you are buying an Aston Martin or Lambo.

3rd) and take no offense from this but your statement only confirms the Utopia is highly scalable with attributes yet to be explored by many that haven’t yet had the opportunity to really hear what it can do.

4th) If you’re offended by others that have taken the leap into high end listening than you may need to re-think how you participate in the hobby.

I have friends that have gear and cars worth several times what my house is worth. I don’t question it in fact I can appreciate their ownership of such wonderful things.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #6,989 of 20,634
Good god.

Just goes to show how different people perceive things. The Naim V1 is considered to be less than wonderful on the Utopia by Focal.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #6,990 of 20,634
Let’s put that in a more correct perspective.

1st, the DAVE is $12,498.00 so a used DAVE at $7800 is a pretty good deal if it’s in good condition.

2nd) when you buy Utopia you aren’t buying a Volkswagen Passat, you are buying an Aston Martin or Lambo.

3rd) and take no offense from this but your statement only confirms the Utopia is highly scalable with attributes yet to be explored by many that haven’t yet had the opportunity to really hear what it can do.

4th) If you’re offended by others that have taken the leap into high end listening than you may need to re-think how you participate in the hobby.

I have friends that have gear and cars worth several times what my house is worth. I don’t question it in fact I can appreciate their ownership of such wonderful things.

Consider Bugatti Oil change charge you 20K,
15k DAC is a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back