Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #6,122 of 20,796
IMO, both parties in this margin discussion should either fully disclose their data or drop the topic. Or take it to PM. Or agree to a duel with flintlock pistols (ok, that may be going too far...)

Still trying to figure out the need for the random response to a 4 month old post which unnecessarily reignited this.

On a more topic aligned note, I’ll have the opportunity to audition the Utopia and LCD4 on my home system for a weekend. Should be interesting as I own and enjoy Focal speakers and Audeze headphones, so no personal brand bias. Hoping the Utopia will make a nice alternative to my LCD3s and give me an excuse to keep them both.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #6,123 of 20,796
On a more topic aligned note, I’ll have the opportunity to audition the Utopia and LCD4 on my home system for a weekend. Should be interesting as I own and enjoy Focal speakers and Audeze headphones, so no personal brand bias. Hoping the Utopia will make a nice alternative to my LCD3s and give me an excuse to keep them both.

I think one of the bigger surprises to you will be how heavy the Utopias feel on the head. I didn't think any headphone was heavier than Audezes, but the Utopias are deceptively heavy given how much carbon fiber they use.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6,124 of 20,796
IMO, both parties in this margin discussion should either fully disclose their data or drop the topic. Or take it to PM. Or agree to a duel with flintlock pistols (ok, that may be going too far...)

Still trying to figure out the need for the random response to a 4 month old post which unnecessarily reignited this.

I’m in full compliance on disclosure. He hasn’t yet offered anything other than supposition and conjecture.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 25, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #6,125 of 20,796
I think one of the bigger surprises to you will be how heavy the Utopias feel on the head. I didn't think any headphone was heavier than Audezes, but the Utopias are deceptively heavy given how much carbon fiber they use.

That is surprising to hear. I’ve never had an issue with headphone weight, so hopefully won’t be bothered by the Utopias. Have done some short listening sessions with the Utopias and didn’t have an issue, but you never really know about comfort until you have an opportunity for a few hours of head time.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #6,126 of 20,796
That is surprising to hear. I’ve never had an issue with headphone weight, so hopefully won’t be bothered by the Utopias. Have done some short listening sessions with the Utopias and didn’t have an issue, but you never really know about comfort until you have an opportunity for a few hours of head time.

It's weight is distributed quite well. I came from headphones like ATH-AD900X, HE-400i, and HD600 and it took no time at all to get used to the Utopia. I regularly wear them for upwards of 8 hours without issue.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #6,127 of 20,796

The Utopia is less heavy than the LCD-3, for example. Utopia is below 500g, all Audeze LCDs and even the EL-8s are over 500g. I often got neckache wearing the LCD-3, but do not have this problem with the Utopias. So, enjoy! :)

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #6,128 of 20,796
It's weight is distributed quite well. I came from headphones like ATH-AD900X, HE-400i, and HD600 and it took no time at all to get used to the Utopia. I regularly wear them for upwards of 8 hours without issue.

The Utopia is less heavy than the LCD-3, for example. Utopia is below 500g, all Audeze LCDs and even the EL-8s are over 500g. I often got neckache wearing the LCD-3, but do not have this problem with the Utopias. So, enjoy! :)

Thanks for the feedback. The unexpected audio benefits of decades of wearing a goalie mask:hockey: :headphones: - anything lighter than some of my old (pre Kevlar/Carbon Fiber) masks usually isn’t a problem as long as they fit well.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #6,129 of 20,796
i liked the lcd-4's sound signature and found it more comfortable than previous iterations but its weight was still a deal breaker for me

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #6,131 of 20,796
To be perfectly honest the reason we have this type of ridiculous back and forth is in large part because probably 50% of the commentary here comes frrom a dealer for the product.I personally have nothing against the dealer and am sure he is a nice person but it really does seem a bit odd to me!

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #6,132 of 20,796
I can't agree. They seem to be "deceptively light" to me. :)

I wear them most nights for a couple of hours while working on the PC. They don't feel heavy at all. I have occasionally worn them for 8 hours (with breaks for lunch and whatever) and not had issues. Maybe they are just not a good fit for you.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #6,133 of 20,796
I misstyped - definitely not heavier than Audezes, but on the heavier side of headphones. I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable, but I feel the weight at all times whereas HD800 and TH900 basically disappear after a few tracks.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #6,134 of 20,796
I could probably make eight hours with the Utopia as well if I didn't need to get up and pee every two hours.

Unless you drive them with a portable device. My utopia are too precious to me for me to carry them around.

But when portably driving the Elear I don't take them off when going to the toilets,
it is no issue with a DAP :)
but when using a combination smartphone → Mojo I have to be more careful because of the cable connecting them.

And because they are so open, but I don't need to take them off when someone talk to me :)

Music sound so good with some headphones that I don't want to take them off... ( Focal Is headphone don't feel heavy for me, unlike Audeze 's)[

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #6,135 of 20,796
Maybe this had been discussed before somewhere in the past 409 pages but do you have a preferred source / amp for your Utopia?

I listened to my utopia from a WA22, Venture electronics RA2B, RSA SR-71B, Cypher Labs Duet and even from an AK SP1000 and it still sound amazing through all of them.

The SR-71B was a surprise though as it really bump up the low end of the Utopia..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back