Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 9, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #5,341 of 20,624
Are there DAC/amp combo devices out there that sound better than the Hugo 2 when paired with the Utopia? Dave does, but it's too big and a little out of my price range. Having done a decent A/B with both, I can't forget the imaging I experienced with the Dave. It was spookily good. Is there anything small and portable that gets close to (or better?!) than the sound of a Dave?

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #5,342 of 20,624
Thank you for the kind offer, No, I'm not a creeper, honestly, I wouldn't even feel comfortable in going inside another person home. I like to keep to myself. I'm getting the Mojo and I'm buying the CLEAR headphones for now. If they aren't good enough then I will trade them in and buy the Utopia. I would feel weird traveling to check out someones audio gear. lol

She's practically family lol.... Head-Fi family that is hahahaha

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,343 of 20,624
Some years ago a headfier lent a helping hand to me similar to what @doggiemom just did. I owe A LOT to that person in regards to my enjoyment and growth in this hobby... On second thought though, I am much poorer now because of it!

In all seriousness this community has been fantastic to me, and for that -Thank You

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #5,344 of 20,624
Some years ago a headfier lent a helping hand to me similar to what @doggiemom just did. I owe A LOT to that person in regards to my enjoyment and growth in this hobby... On second thought though, I am much poorer now because of it!

In all seriousness this community has been fantastic to me, and for that -Thank You
Yes, very true, but, you can't put a price on audio happiness. And... yes, it is expensive.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #5,345 of 20,624
So I can listen to MQA via my Tidal account at my desktop setup (a Windows box)? I use a Chord Hugo TT. I know the TT doesn't have MQA processing, but are there any advantages here? Thanks.
[Ha ha, I was a math/comp sci major, but somehow this computer audio stuff is getting beyond me.]

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,346 of 20,624
So I can listen to MQA via my Tidal account at my desktop setup (a Windows box)? I use a Chord Hugo TT. I know the TT doesn't have MQA processing, but are there any advantages here? Thanks.
[Ha ha, I was a math/comp sci major, but somehow this computer audio stuff is getting beyond me.]

I’m starting to see a lot more “MQA” certified devices as well.. got me wondering is there s big difference when using it myself. I’ve read there two implementations for MQA, I’ve read there’s two components for MQA, one is software and other is hardware.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #5,347 of 20,624
I’m starting to see a lot more “MQA” certified devices as well.. got me wondering is there s big difference when using it myself. I’ve read there two implementations for MQA, I’ve read there’s two components for MQA, one is software and other is hardware.

Almost every manufacturer of TV's, video players, and disc manufacturers jumped on the 3D Bluray bandwagon at some point in the past. Add curved screens to that as well, which are fine for computer simulation and gaming with it's one screen for one viewer design, but I never saw it as a viable alternative to flat screens, which, incidentally 99.999% of all films ever made were shot for.

Nov 9, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #5,348 of 20,624
I would feel weird traveling to check out someones audio gear. lol
Actually, when you put it that way, that does sound kind of creepy, LOLOLOL!
If you listen through the Tidal Windows program and don't have an MQA compatible DAC, the MQA files will be decoded by the Tidal software. The downside is that the maximum sampling rate of the output after decoding is 96kHz. I think most of the Tidal "Masters" are 96 kHz, but if there are any with higher sampling rates, you would only be able to listen to them at 96kHz, as opposed to 192 kHz or whatever.

The standard "HiFi" albums in Tidal are 44 kHz, so the Masters do offer the advantage of 96 kHz without an MQA-compatible DAC. Just make sure that you go into the settings, ensure that the Hugo is selected as the audio output, and that it is running in exclusive mode. On my McIntosh DAC the sampling rate shows as 88 kHz instead of 96 kHz for Masters if exclusive mode is not selected.

Hope this helps!

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #5,349 of 20,624
Actually, when you put it that way, that does sound kind of creepy, LOLOLOL!

If you listen through the Tidal Windows program and don't have an MQA compatible DAC, the MQA files will be decoded by the Tidal software. The downside is that the maximum sampling rate of the output after decoding is 96kHz. I think most of the Tidal "Masters" are 96 kHz, but if there are any with higher sampling rates, you would only be able to listen to them at 96kHz, as opposed to 192 kHz or whatever.

The standard "HiFi" albums in Tidal are 44 kHz, so the Masters do offer the advantage of 96 kHz without an MQA-compatible DAC. Just make sure that you go into the settings, ensure that the Hugo is selected as the audio output, and that it is running in exclusive mode. On my McIntosh DAC the sampling rate shows as 88 kHz instead of 96 kHz for Masters if exclusive mode is not selected.

Hope this helps!
Question ... if you use Spotify with the Mojo what kind of sample rate is the Dac going to put out?

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #5,350 of 20,624
spotify is is MP3 lossy ,stick with Tidal

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #5,351 of 20,624
spotify is is MP3 lossy ,stick with Tidal
I am going to renew my subscription to Tidal before i get my mojo, I just wanted to know if it will do anything to the Spotify sample rate.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #5,352 of 20,624
Do you have to purchase the 19.99 package in order to use MQA or does it work with the standard 9.99 package as well?

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #5,355 of 20,624
I am going to renew my subscription to Tidal before i get my mojo, I just wanted to know if it will do anything to the Spotify sample rate.

Spotify was supposed to be introducing lossless music a while back (like several months ago), but so far, no further news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back