Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,311 of 20,544
All in one. I'm going to use an OTG cable to connect to my Samsung Galaxy. And use Tidal lossless with it, sometimes Spotify as well.

You can’t go wrong with iFi DSD Black label, it is better than the Mojo.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #5,312 of 20,544
All in one ? You may want to try out Dx200. It is very good performer, and is powerful enough (6Vrms) together with amp modules being released frequently to upgrade or just alternate your sound signature from the system itself. Using dual Es9028Pro DAC in it configuration. It can also be used as External DAC. My wife enjoys this feature a lot as she connect it as external DAC/Amp to use her iPad and other devices to sing Karaoke into my large home system. Pretty decent device and good pricing.

Both Mojo and IDSD are stackable devices, neither is really an all in one device

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #5,314 of 20,544
All in one ? You may want to try out Dx200. It is very good performer, and is powerful enough (6Vrms) together with amp modules being released frequently to upgrade or just alternate your sound signature from the system itself. Using dual Es9028Pro DAC in it configuration. It can also be used as External DAC. My wife enjoys this feature a lot as she connect it as external DAC/Amp to use her iPad and other devices to sing Karaoke into my large home system. Pretty decent device and good pricing.

Both Mojo and IDSD are stackable devices, neither is really an all in one device
I posted how I want to use them. The DX200 doesn't support Spotify or Tidal. Does it?

It does support the stuff I'm looking for. How good does it sound with the Utopia?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #5,315 of 20,544
I posted how I want to use them. The DX200 doesn't support Spotify or Tidal. Does it?

It does support the stuff I'm looking for. How good does it sound with the Utopia?

If you're using it with an Android device, invest in UAPP. It does bit-perfect playback through USB and supports Tidal integration. AFAIK, it's the only way to listen to the "Master" quality stuff on mobile.

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5,316 of 20,544
If you're using it with an Android device, invest in UAPP. It does bit-perfect playback through USB and supports Tidal integration. AFAIK, it's the only way to listen to the "Master" quality stuff on mobile.
Explain that a little better for me, please. But, the Mojo and the Black doesn't support MQA files currently, how will they work?

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #5,317 of 20,544
* Sorry for the gigantic pics *

Standard:

65ohsxZ.png

Master:

k8JsqlD.png

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #5,318 of 20,544
* Sorry for the gigantic pics *

Standard:

65ohsxZ.png

Master:

k8JsqlD.png
How does this work if i bought the MOJO and connected it with my Android and started using Tidal.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,319 of 20,544
How does this work if i bought the MOJO and connected it with my Android and started using Tidal.

AFAIK, it won't work this way through the Tidal app, I've only seen a difference using Tidal through UAPP. I run it using either a Fiio E10K or my Bimby, both of which aren't compatible with MQA, but it appears you still get a better quality file regardless.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #5,320 of 20,544
AFAIK, it won't work this way through the Tidal app, I've only seen a difference using Tidal through UAPP. I run it using either a Fiio E10K or my Bimby, both of which aren't compatible with MQA, but it appears you still get a better quality file regardless.
confused.gif

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,322 of 20,544
Not much to be confused about, the "standard" version plays at 16/44.1, 935kb/s and the "master" version plays at 24/48, 1,763kb/s. I'm guessing that UAPP is doing software decoding of the MQA and passing along the remaining file to the DAC for processing, but who knows.
How is that going to work on a smartphone?

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #5,324 of 20,544
You'll have to ask the fine folks that develop UAPP. All I know is those screenshots were taken while I was listening to Tidal through UAPP on my Nexus 6P, then into the rest of the chain in my sig.
So you play a song on Tidal and just have that UAPP app open?

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #5,325 of 20,544
So you play a song on Tidal and just have that UAPP app open?

Nope, you open UAPP and in UAPP there are many options for music sources (Internal database, folders, network shares, Tidal, etc). Pick Tidal, sign-in and get all your setting correct for your DAC/setup and start playing songs. UAPP connects to Tidal servers and pipes the music through their app.

I think it's $5 or so, not much. Download it and give it a try, makes use on the go really easy. Hell, half the time I use my phone as my main source rather than my laptop or PC because it's just easier in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back