• AAA251D5-F44E-4813-B1A6-659987DD88C0.jpeg
    AAA251D5-F44E-4813-B1A6-659987DD88C0.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5F525263-8636-4A90-8A7D-F34EB3B3257A.jpeg
    5F525263-8636-4A90-8A7D-F34EB3B3257A.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #5,285 of 20,605
My headphones don't creak in anyway shape or form as well like some of the reviews show.

Just registered these on the focal website as well without issue and got the 2 year warranty emailed straight away seems these have a high serial as well in the very high 2000's so thinking these are some of the newer batch with the better soldering on the drivers as well?

Were purchased 09/05/2017 and the receipt is from the US so that tells me they were purchased in September if I'm not mistaken due to how the US always puts the month first before the day.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #5,286 of 20,605
My headphones don't creak in anyway shape or form as well like some of the reviews show.

Just registered these on the focal website as well without issue and got the 2 year warranty emailed straight away seems these have a high serial as well in the very high 2000's so thinking these are some of the newer batch with the better soldering on the drivers as well?

Were purchased 09/05/2017 and the receipt is from the US so that tells me they were purchased in September if I'm not mistaken due to how the US always puts the month first before the day.
Affirmative, the month is first, day, year.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #5,287 of 20,605
My thoughts on the pad change. Personally, I think Focal nails headphone design. Unlike others where full size phones look clunky, Focals look sleeker or "curvier'. The pads also look great. The change doesn't look too bad to me although it's clear(lol) the color scheme belongs on the other set. But there's nothing wrong with pad experimentation. It's the same manufacturer anyway so it doesn't really look that out of place. The three top Focals kind of look alike. JMO.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #5,288 of 20,605
I don’t care if the sound changes at all with those pads, if they were intended for the utopia focal would of sent them with it, and they just cheapen the look of the entire set up.

If I want those pads I will just buy the clears, seems he might prefer the clear sound better and wasted his money on the utopias because the only thing I can see happening when you change pads with other products is trying to acheive a sound sig that’s not intended or are going for comfort which by the looks of it the utopia has lamb skin leather cups anyways.

I don’t get it and from what others have said changing the pads with the elear anyway made the utopias worse and the clear pads are even thinner and more airier, no thanks, may as well use ear buds :) . Each to their own though.

Each to their own, but I've found this @zolkis quote rather eloquent about the whole subject:
Pads are part of the acoustic environment, and may change the sound sig in similar way (but to lesser extent) as a listening room is changing the sound sig of speakers. You get air volume, shape, damping mass, acoustic impedance, reflections etc. It is mostly the harmonic structure that may change, the FR to a lesser extent, though it may be subjectively enough for a change. Like listening rooms don't make bad speakers sound good, pads won't make a bad headphone sound good, but may make a good one sound great, ...
Add personal preferences to the mix, and.. :p

Nov 2, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #5,289 of 20,605
FWIW the Utopia is one of the two headphones I have heard that IMHO won't benefit much from pad change... the other is the Stax 009. One can make them sound different (e.g. more bass kick), but then you realize it's more neutral and also more preferable the way it was.

I guess a lot of people have the same feeling about more than just two headphones :), or even less: just want a different sig out of the Utopia or the 009.

It depends on the musical genre, too: I assume people buy these for acoustic/classical music (at least most of the time). The growing number of closed biocellulose-driver headphones will do EDM/electronic bass slam much better and much cheaper.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #5,290 of 20,605
What can’t have a bit of fun? About headphones? Get a life.

What I think doesn’t matter, what he thinks is all that matters, I have every right to call a spade a spade or to voice my personal opinion on what I think looks nice or doesn’t, who are you to tell me my parents didn’t love me enough growing up because I don’t like the look of certain style of a bloody headphone pad.

Your whats wrong with society today, can’t have an opinion if goes against the grain and everyone needs their safe space to play in incase they get offended.

Grow up mate.

Tact, respect, class. When you use these attributes it's easy to respond to someone you don't agree with in a civil manner (aka, you won't come off as an asshole). It's not a "you people are too touchy!" thing, it's just being a good human to other humans.

I'll quit feeding it though. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #5,291 of 20,605
Tact, respect, class. When you use these attributes it's easy to respond to someone you don't agree with in a civil manner (aka, you won't come off as an asshole). It's not a "you people are too touchy!" thing, it's just being a good human to other humans.

I'll quit feeding it though. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Please don’t be so offended over my view on how ugly clear pads look on utopias

No one cares what I do or don’t like it’s all personal preferance, we’re only talking about ear pads here not saving the children.

Good to see you again :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #5,292 of 20,605
Due mostly to my warped sense of humor, I couldn't resist.

DSC00322.JPG

It actually works pretty well as far as comfort and reducing head slippage, unfortunately it is quite ugly and most be removed for storage in the Utopia's case. It's great in black with the HD-800.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #5,293 of 20,605
Due mostly to my warped sense of humor, I couldn't resist.

It actually works pretty well as far as comfort and reducing head slippage, unfortunately it is quite ugly and most be removed for storage in the Utopia's case. It's great in black with the HD-800.

I found that as well regarding them being a little slippy on the head, but after a little bit of adjustment to getting them the right size they fit fine now. pretty sure its thick leather headband that does it

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #5,294 of 20,605
Nov 2, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5,295 of 20,605
I found that as well regarding them being a little slippy on the head, but after a little bit of adjustment to getting them the right size they fit fine now. pretty sure its thick leather headband that does it
I agree, when properly adjusted the Utopia's headband offers both comfort and limited slippage. Actually I'm not planning to use the gray seat belt comforter on the Utopia, it's for my PM-2. Keeping it on the Utopia would be like having mud flaps on a Corvette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back