Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,766 of 20,796
People no longer read through "a post" before quoting specifically on reply ? Anyways, I am talking about Stax 009 and Kevin Gilmore Amp and Utopia which I currently own. Why am I in debate with someone who don't ? I will repeat this, Utopia is still the very best Dynamic headphones in my experience and opinion, however A proper Stax 009 setup is another ball game

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,767 of 20,796
People no longer read through "a post" before quoting specifically on reply ? Anyways, I am talking about Stax 009 and Kevin Gilmore Amp and Utopia which I currently own. Why am I in debate with someone who don't ? I will repeat this, Utopia is still the very best Dynamic headphones in my experience and opinion, however A proper Stax 009 setup is another ball game
It's not to my ears so you can't be right, I've owned both and I've heard your so called best and I ain't impressed,so your right and I'm wrong, check the reviews and most prefer the Utopia.If I'm honest I couldn't careless what you like but when you bang on about the stax in the focal utopia thread like you know what your talking about which clearly you don't.How many dynamic speakers get sold compared to electrostatic? Is that because they all got ear issues like me ?Your in the minority

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,768 of 20,796
How does DAVE + Utopia compare to Kevin Gilmore amp + 009?

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3,769 of 20,796
Re. this discussion Utopia vs SR-009,

there is something I wanted to report on, but didn't have the time then,
and never did until now.

The German Magazine Stereoplay, the absolute reference (most professional for hifi : and I read audio magazines in many different languages),
tested and benchmarked the Utopia and reported the results in their issue of Nov. 2016 (pages 58-60).
(maybe it was reported in this thread? at the time, I was only following the other Utopia thread).

They gave their SQ a score of 58, the same as for the SR-009 (and so far only the SQ of SR-009 had received so many points),
but they put them just above it the SR-009 in their (complete with all HPs) SQ rankings (always listed near the end of each issue),
but not by much because they could not give it a point more than the SR-009.
They found in particular that "they have the edge in the competition with the electrostats re impulse fidelity and [general] accuracy"" .
("In puncto Impuls-treue und Präzision nimmt er es sogar mit der elektrostatischen Konkurrenz auf")
So from their extensive tests, the world's best HP but so close to the SR-009 they're almost equally good.

Their conclusion :
"with their ultra-light beyllium membrane these luxury headphones unravel music up to the most ultimate details
and paint the most delicate [could be translated by "sophisticated"] sound image [or "imaging"]
-- and this in the most pleasant manner as is possible, just as analytical as necessary,
with an enthralling ambiance and proper bass capabillity. Reference!"

("Mit seiner ultraleichten Beryllium-Membran löst der Luxus-Kopfhörer Musik
bis in allerfeinste Details auf und zeichnet iligranste Klangbilder –
so gefällig wie möglich, so analytisch wie nötig,
mit packender Atmosphäre und ordentlich Basskapazität. Referenz! )

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,772 of 20,796
What exactly is a grounded grid? I am kind of new here... if you don't mind me asking.

How does it compare to BHSE in driving SR009?
Who makes them?
Where can I buy one?
How much is it?

It is a Tubes amplifier based on KGSSHV Carbon design but with Tubes output stages. Can't tell as I don't have any experiences with BHSE
Any DIY Builder ?
Not sure....as it is DIY projects
Depends on the components and the build quality, and it should be more than any Carbon build.

You can check out this thread
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/the-kghv-gg-stax-amp.845996/

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,773 of 20,796

You are using the Utopia out of a Sony walkman which is probably not a fair comparison?

I heard a terrible sounding Focal Utopia on a show (I don't even know why they put it up there, they must have heard how bad it sounded?) so these things do scale.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,774 of 20,796
You are using the Utopia out of a Sony walkman which is probably not a fair comparison?

I heard a terrible sounding Focal Utopia on a show (I don't even know why they put it up there, they must have heard how bad it sounded?) so these things do scale.

I used it out of Sony TA-ZH1ES, and have very close friend who use it out of GSX MKII who also own Susy Dynalo, ECP, DIY T2-009, Walkman WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES, and we both have the same conclusion. I can make my Susy Dynalo anytime I want, but there is no need, and I sold my TA-ZH1ES specially just for that (no point to sit stationary with Utopia when Stax is there). I would love the Utopia to be a be all and end all, so I don't have to spend another God 10K for Stax system, but that is not the case. My money is not grown on any tree. I also don't make up bull poops and talk out of my asses....

No one who have heard 007/009 out of any BHSE or KG top-tier amps would call Stax being "lack of bass" or anything of short. I love bass, and I can not say that they lack any bass....they are perfect and spot on. The only person who mentioned those would only be Paul2Qute who doesn't own any KG amps, but I made my point, and I have strong friends with experiences who also agree with my findings. If you disagree, feel free to spend your money and your time to figure out for yourself.

I am happy with what I have now, Utopia on Portability and Stax 009 with KG Grounded Grid for desktop stationary.

I will stop my debate here between Stax and Utopia as I have experienced and said enough. It is better for you to also experience both and find out for yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #3,775 of 20,796
I used it out of Sony TA-ZH1ES, and have very close friend who use it out of GSX MKII who also own Susy Dynalo, ECP, DIY T2-009, Walkman WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES, and we both have the same conclusion. I can make my Susy Dynalo anytime I want, but there is no need, and I sold my TA-ZH1ES specially just for that (no point to sit stationary with Utopia when Stax is there). I would love the Utopia to be a be all and end all, so I don't have to spend another God 10K for Stax system, but that is not the case. My money is not grown on any tree

A GS-X MKII isn't doing anything except adding colour. Better put the money into something like a Chord Dave and then compare it.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,776 of 20,796
A GS-X MKII isn't doing anything except adding colour. Better put the money into something like a Chord Dave and then compare it.

Why don't you compare it yourself ? I would love to hear you comparing between a DIY T2 Stax 009 VS Utopia and Dave. I have no interest in taking my Utopia any further as I have gathered enough information to know and make my decision, however I would appreciate your comparison for sure

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #3,777 of 20,796
Why don't you compare it yourself ? I would love to hear you comparing between a DIY T2 Stax 009 VS Utopia and Dave. I have no interest in taking my Utopia any further as I have gathered enough information to know and make my decision, however I would appreciate your comparison for sure

I did hear a bigger electrostats system than the SR-009 (i think you probably know which one I am talking about) but I won't be posting my impressions yet as I am going to do more testing (cannot do it everyday unfortunately).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #3,778 of 20,796
I used it out of Sony TA-ZH1ES, and have very close friend who use it out of GSX MKII who also own Susy Dynalo, ECP, DIY T2-009, Walkman WM1Z, TA-ZH1ES, and we both have the same conclusion. I can make my Susy Dynalo anytime I want, but there is no need, and I sold my TA-ZH1ES specially just for that (no point to sit stationary with Utopia when Stax is there). I would love the Utopia to be a be all and end all, so I don't have to spend another God 10K for Stax system, but that is not the case. My money is not grown on any tree. I also don't make up bull poops and talk out of my asses....

No one who have heard 007/009 out of any BHSE or KG top-tier amps would call Stax being "lack of bass" or anything of short. I love bass, and I can not say that they lack any bass....they are perfect and spot on. The only person who mentioned those would only be Paul2Qute who doesn't own any KG amps, but I made my point, and I have strong friends with experiences who also agree with my findings. If you disagree, feel free to spend your money and your time to figure out for yourself.

I am happy with what I have now, Utopia on Portability and Stax 009 with KG Grounded Grid for desktop stationary.

I will stop my debate here between Stax and Utopia as I have experienced and said enough. It is better for you to also experience both and find out for yourself.

theatermove.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back