Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,796 of 20,644
Hey you don't use TT anymore? hows the holo compare, read good things...

I no longer own the TT. While I hold the TT in high regard, it has been surpassed to my ears. :)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #3,797 of 20,644
Have a gander:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

If a pair of headphones are underpowered, like the LCD-4s, then you will hear a colouration of the DAVE not being able to fully power it. The GS-X MK2 is dead flat with no flavour of its own...I love having it to review upstream sources as it just gets out of the way and gives you a "wire-with-gain" approach to amplification. Though with the Utopia, the DAVE alone is just fine.

Let's assume that the GS-X keeps the signal 100% the same (which I am pretty sure it don't if you do a null test)

You still have to deal with the cables which alters the sound. I did a big shootout with cables last year and cables do sound different. So there is no 100% accurate cable.

Also regarding headphones being underpowered, I just find that funny. After hearing how a modest $10k speaker setup can sound, I just have to laugh at the idea how headphones with small drivers that produce way less sound require even bigger and more expensive amplifiers than speakers while sounding worse.

Jun 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,799 of 20,644
Let's assume that the GS-X keeps the signal 100% the same (which I am pretty sure it don't if you do a null test)

You still have to deal with the cables which alters the sound. I did a big shootout with cables last year and cables do sound different. So there is no 100% accurate cable.

Also regarding headphones being underpowered, I just find that funny. After hearing how a modest $10k speaker setup can sound, I just have to laugh at the idea how headphones with small drivers that produce way less sound require even bigger and more expensive amplifiers than speakers while sounding worse.

I think you mis-read my post? My experiences with the DAVE are not that favourable with hard to drive headphones like the LCD-4s as it can't properly power them and comes off as too bright and not very involving. As a result, this is indeed a colouration. That was my point. With the Utopias, this is far less an issue and likely a separate amplifier won't be needed. That was the entirety of my comments. If you look at the really, really low distortion and dead flat FR response, you can see there there is almost negligible colouration introduced by the GS-X MK2. In fact, I'd take the GS-X MK2 - Kitsune Holo Spring Level 3 DAC (or even the Benchmark DAC3 HGC) combination over the Chord Hugo TT as a standalone any day of the week. With power hungry orthos, I find an amplifier with at least 2W is really needed to allow the proper head-room with high resolution music.

Please don't miss this part...with the Utopias or Z1Rs, this is not an issue.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,800 of 20,644
Why don't you compare it yourself ? I would love to hear you comparing between a DIY T2 Stax 009 VS Utopia and Dave. I have no interest in taking my Utopia any further as I have gathered enough information to know and make my decision, however I would appreciate your comparison for sure
Exactly which sounds very narrow minded,you talk about the best amps for the stax but not the utopia which is a total contradiction,I would love to hear my utopia with the Dave and trilogy which Paul from hi-fi lounge has at home and he is blown away, also using the heimdall 2 cable

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,802 of 20,644
Nope! The BHSE, the Carbon, Grounded Grid, they are big and huge for a reason, because sizes do matter. Even though they are big, they heat up nicely, and that really mean something. Just saying

The reason why they are on another level is because of the differences in technology. I do believe Utopia is sitting on the summit of the Dynamic engineering and technology for Dynamic headphones, however. Because Utopia is a performer and very efficient
Yup. I'd only add the HD800 is still rather legit with the right amp pairing.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,803 of 20,644
I think you mis-read my post? My experiences with the DAVE are not that favourable with hard to drive headphones like the LCD-4s as it can't properly power them and comes off as too bright and not very involving. As a result, this is indeed a colouration. That was my point. With the Utopias, this is far less an issue and likely a separate amplifier won't be needed. That was the entirety of my comments. If you look at the really, really low distortion and dead flat FR response, you can see there there is almost negligible colouration introduced by the GS-X MK2. In fact, I'd take the GS-X MK2 - Kitsune Holo Spring Level 3 DAC (or even the Benchmark DAC3 HGC) combination over the Chord Hugo TT as a standalone any day of the week. With power hungry orthos, I find an amplifier with at least 2W is really needed to allow the proper head-room with high resolution music.

Please don't miss this part...with the Utopias or Z1Rs, this is not an issue.

I have to agree. I demo'd the Dave which was paired up with the LCD 4's and my own Utopias. The Utopia Dave combination was amazing but the LCD 4's sounded dull by comparison and needed to be turned up by around 8dB to get to similar listening levels. I wasn't sure if this was how LCD 4's were as I had never heard them before or if it was the Dave just not driving them fully.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,804 of 20,644
I have to agree. I demo'd the Dave which was paired up with the LCD 4's and my own Utopias. The Utopia Dave combination was amazing but the LCD 4's sounded dull by comparison and needed to be turned up by around 8dB to get to similar listening levels. I wasn't sure if this was how LCD 4's were as I had never heard them before or if it was the Dave just not driving them fully.
maybe repeat that question in the chord Hugo 2 forum,I'm sure Rob can explain

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,805 of 20,644
maybe repeat that question in the chord Hugo 2 forum,I'm sure Rob can explain

I wasn't really asking a question but thanks anyway. I was just expressing that my findings with the Dave/LCD 4 were similar to Macedonian Hero. I did however share my findings weeks ago when the whole LCD 4 vs Utopia innerfidelity article debate was in full swing

Jun 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,806 of 20,644
I wasn't really asking a question but thanks anyway. I was just expressing that my findings with the Dave/LCD 4 were similar to Macedonian Hero. I did however share my findings weeks ago when the whole LCD 4 vs Utopia innerfidelity article debate was in full swing
OK mate thanks for the reply.What was your findings mate?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,807 of 20,644
Based on my limited experience with the Dave and LCD 4 and the Dave and the Utopia I would say the LCD 4 is not for me. I will listen to it again at the London CanJam depending on what headphones the different Amp/Dac vendors are using but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Utopia for me all the way

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,808 of 20,644
Based on my limited experience with the Dave and LCD 4 and the Dave and the Utopia I would say the LCD 4 is not for me. I will listen to it again at the London CanJam depending on what headphones the different Amp/Dac vendors are using but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Utopia for me all the way

My thoughts also. Unfortunately to make matters worse I heard the DAVE driving the LCD 4 directly with a blu2 on the front at the Singapore CanJam earlier this year. That combo did not do it for me so I am reluctant to even consider a Blu2 purchase given that I am extremely satisfied with my current DAVE+Utopia combo. YMMV of course.

Cheers
GG

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #3,809 of 20,644
my lcd-4 sounds great out of the Dave but that is me....i also have the utopia,different lsiten entirely...both great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back