Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #3,271 of 20,644

No intention to insult anyone (to each his own) but nothing really impressed me about the Utopia. 

you just need more time with them

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #3,272 of 20,644
  you just need more time with them

The thing is that they were well burned-in because they were loaners. I also had them for 1/2 a month, and really wasn't impressed. I think a lot had to do with the extremely high expectations I had from reading nothing but positive impressions from other members.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,274 of 20,644
Are you referring to the Trilogy 931??
I meant to put in my opinion but I meant the 933 not the 931 it can drive any headphone out there with ease,all the issues ppl are saying about the utopia headphones doesn't exist through the trilogy in my opinion, I've asked Paul from Hifi Lounge and he spoke to trilogy and they are concentrating on the European market not America which is a shame as it could be such a massive market for him, although he will make any of his amps that can be made to be used in America but only by special order, wish you all could hear it in America be interesting to hear your thoughts

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,275 of 20,644
This is the best hi-fi set up I had focal utopia speakers Wadia and bryston mono 7b sst amps driving them, it was a fantastic sound but I do feel like I hear more detail with the focal utopia headphones

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,280 of 20,644
Are the cable connectors unique to Utopia, or other headphones cables can be used with it?

I am looking for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) XLR/ balanced 4 pin on the Amp end.

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,281 of 20,644
Are the cable connectors unique to Utopia, or other headphones cables can be used with it?

I am looking for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) XLR/ balanced 4 pin on the Amp end.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any other headphones that use the Lemo connector.

The connectors are $20-$30 each. A 4-pin balanced connector is $4. Decent cable (mogami quad) is less than $1 per foot. Fancier cable is maybe $1-$3/foot (times at lest 4). A decent cable should cost that much to make. I made a 16 strand copper cable for under $100 and about 6 hours of labor.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #3,283 of 20,644
I'm 31 and I've owned quite a few headphones in my lifetime.
I also bought very expensive gear that I immediately realised was crap and sold at a substantial loss.
Basically, I'm doing alright and I don't usually suffer from "dear God, I have to like this because I paid outrageous amounts of money for it".

The Utopia is the single most satisfying audio related purchase I have made.
Perhaps it is overpriced, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat, because I love it out of the box without burn in and with its stock cable more than any other headphone I've bought and tried.

It reignited my passion for hi-fi, and I'm looking forward to getting up every morning just to slip these babies on and get my mind blown over and over again.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #3,284 of 20,644
I'm 31 and I've owned quite a few headphones in my lifetime.
I also bought very expensive gear that I immediately realised was crap and sold at a substantial loss.
Basically, I'm doing alright and I don't usually suffer from "dear God, I have to like this because I paid outrageous amounts of money for it".

The Utopia is the single most satisfying audio related purchase I have made.
Perhaps it is overpriced, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat, because I love it out of the box without burn in and with its stock cable more than any other headphone I've bought and tried.

It reignited my passion for hi-fi, and I'm looking forward to getting up every morning just to slip these babies on and get my mind blown over and over again.
I agree totally and you need the best front end possible,they are just that revealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back