Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #2,386 of 20,602
May I ask why do you pick the 931 over the 933 driving the Utopia? How do you discribe the difference in sound?

2 factors - economics and ergonomics! The 933 (in the uk at least) around 2.5 times more expensive and the sound quality, at least to my ears, is only very slightly better.

On the ergonomics a) I don't like 2 boxes for my situation and b) I don't like the fact the 933 is remote control only. I like a volume knob and the fact the 933 is essentially bricked if you lose the remote.

For these reasons I think the 931 is the better choice.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #2,387 of 20,602
they just a pair of headphones,they ain't mind blowing if I'm honest,two minds if to sell them, waiting for the Nordost heimdall 2 cable and see were I go from there but I ain't feeling the buzz.I've owned some of the best kit in the world but did I enjoy it and make me happy... No it made me miserable, I've got a fantastic system for the money and it sounds fun and I've got my utopia system for headphone Bliss but maybe my dad being ill I ain't feeling the music the same.Moral of the story is I've spent thousands but the system I've got now is making me more happy, just sit down and relax knowing it ain't the best but I'm buzzing listening to it.When you got the best your constantly flicking CD s to show its best,now I can relax and finally just enjoy the music, the addiction of buying the latest hi-fi I think is destroying the enjoyment of music.I'm a hi fi critic when I listen through the utopia but I've have more fun listening to my fairly average speaker system.Doesn't matter how much you spend on hi-fi after a month of listening to it,it becomes the norm so your wanting more.The perfect dealers dream.hi-fi can be like gambling very highly addictive

Hoo boy does this resonate with me! All the gear in my sig, what do I listen to most? somafm.com and calmradio.com through the NAD and totem dreamcatchers, which are set up as near-fields at my computer, and so I'm not even doing THEM proper justice. Using the McStack or the "battle bridge" Bel Canto/Woo combo and any of the big guns cans...well, as I mentioned in the Fostex TH900 thread, I end up focusing TOO much on the listening experience.

As you say, I love the gear and the sound it produces, but sometimes simpler is better because I can just let the music wash over me without being "overawed" by it.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,388 of 20,602
Anyone try the utopia with a Bottlehead mainline?

@dancingblue, I love the XR50's! When set up properly in the right room, those speakers can sing. I tried them in my house, and they didn't work well, but I've them sound totally awesome.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #2,389 of 20,602
2 factors - economics and ergonomics! The 933 (in the uk at least) around 2.5 times more expensive and the sound quality, at least to my ears, is only very slightly better.

On the ergonomics a) I don't like 2 boxes for my situation and b) I don't like the fact the 933 is remote control only. I like a volume knob and the fact the 933 is essentially bricked if you lose the remote.

Is this amp sold in the US?

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,390 of 20,602
  Just got my Focal Utopia.
Going to be a long night of listening...

It's a great headphone, that's for sure.

Took some shots of it with my Abyss and Moon Neo 430.

We are still waiting for your pics
tongue.gif

Stock cable is all copper.

The Danacable I am using at the moment is all copper as well.

IMO silver does give off a brighter sound.

There are tons of arguments going around about copper vs silver cables. I feel like it all comes down to synergy. If you have a fairly bright source/amp already then silver cabling will enhance that even further which might be too much.

From my experience, silver cables don't always sound brighter nor sharper than copper. But, silver always sound more "neutral" or more "plain" compare to copper. Feels like a food with less seasoning (could be bad or good really depend on the food itself of course). Ymmv.

For myself, I would chose a high quality copper cable for Focal, as I love the original cable sound, only craving for more black background effect and more apparent in texture.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,392 of 20,602
jesus i'm not logging into here again when on the red wine,sorry for the rant from my last message.Trilogy are making a reference headphone amp costing over six grand so be interesting to see what that sounds like with the Utopias

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,393 of 20,602
  jesus i'm not logging into here again when on the red wine,sorry for the rant from my last message.Trilogy are making a reference headphone amp costing over six grand so be interesting to see what that sounds like with the Utopias

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,394 of 20,602

This is officially the best thing I've read on Head-Fi in a long time!!  Hahaha!  I suspect you and I could be good friends :)

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,395 of 20,602
This is officially the best thing I've read on Head-Fi in a long time!!  Hahaha!  I suspect you and I could be good friends :)

Cheers!
Let's get together and do a shoot out with the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten see which fairs better.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,396 of 20,602

Somewhat of a preview...

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,397 of 20,602
Let's get together and do a shoot out with the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten see which fairs better.

Jason, you didn't show me the liquid Tungsten when I was in the store a week ago. Don't make me come down again :)

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,399 of 20,602

Each to their own, I think for me the 933 is the better choice, you have one of the best headphones in the world so you want one of the best amps driving them,I think if something is better and you can afford it then get it, you have to pay a fortune for a slight improvement in sound quality but that's all it takes to make things sound even more special

Users who are viewing this thread

Back