Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,372 of 20,602
For people who tried various of head amps to drive Utopia. I'm very keen to ask for your opinions: which headphone amp are best fit to Utopia?

I have the GSX MK2, but planing to get another amp in order to improve my Utopia, current list: Moon Neo 430, V281, or straight out from DAVE?

Best Regards
Archer

My 430HA works great with the Utopia. Also, importantly it drives most anything else wonderfully (apart, of course, from electrostatics), including my LCD-4. So if you anticipate other HP purchases down the road, I particularly recommend the 430HA for its future flexibility.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,373 of 20,602
My 430HA works great with the Utopia. Also, importantly it drives most anything else wonderfully (apart, of course, from electrostatics), including my LCD-4. So if you anticipate other HP purchases down the road, I particularly recommend the 430HA for its future flexibility.

I second this.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2,374 of 20,602
For people who tried various of head amps to drive Utopia. I'm very keen to ask for your opinions: which headphone amp are best fit to Utopia?

I have the GSX MK2, but planing to get another amp in order to improve my Utopia, current list: Moon Neo 430, V281, or straight out from DAVE?

Best Regards
Archer

Get rid of the the GSX and just use DAVE.  That is what I did without hesitation with the LCD4's, Abyss, HD800's and Utopia's.  In every case the DAVE directly out what my preference VS the DAVE through the GSX MKII.

The only alternative would be a very very top tier tubs amp if that's your thing.

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,375 of 20,602
Always wanted my partner to love hi-fi like I do but it's never happened,constantly lying about the price of the kit I want,400 pounds for the utopia headphones,didn't talk to me for three weeks after,should of told her the full price, silence for a blissful year at least

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,376 of 20,602
Hi All,

I went to my local headphone shop this morning to give the Focal Utopia another test listen. The last time I tried them as right around their release, about 6-7 months ago. I listened for longer this morning than I did last time, and with a wider variety of music. Overall impressions? Very positive. I enjoyed them more than I remembered. 

The first thing I would like to mention is the comfort of the headphones. They are so, so comfortable. If you wear glasses like I do, there is a tiny space for the glasses legs to pass through, which I haven’t experienced on any other headphone before. This is a tiny detail, and it might not be intentional, but I really did notice it and the extra comfort it brought to the table. The ear pads are sumptuous, not too thick, and not too thin. One thing I made sure to test was the creak test of the carbon fibre yolks. This pair didn’t creak at all! I tried everything I could think of to get them to creak, and they were dead silent. This was a pleasant surprise, given what I have read and heard in Tyll’s video review. The headband sits comfortably right over the middle of the head (at least it did on my head, your head may be different I suppose) and the length of the yolks/earpieces is adjusted very easily. Although it is a heavier headphone than some, I am used to the LCD-4 and Abyss, so I really didn’t notice the weight at all. Maybe I have a strong neck. 

The build quality of the Utopia is fantastic. I said this in my initial impressions, and I still think so. Beautiful carbon fibre, leather, and metal. It feels very solid in the hands, and on your head. Again, no creaking at all. I suppose this is dependant on the pair? Or perhaps it goes away with use? I really don’t know. The stock cable is overly long, but seemed to be well built and durable. 

Now, onto how they sound. As this was a longer test with a wider variety of music, my impressions may have changed a little bit. 

Bass: I tried them initially in total stock tuning, with no EQ applied. I am a bit of a basshead, so I did find it a little bit lacking in the low end. However, after applying a bit of low end EQ, I really found the headphones transformed to my liking. The tight, fast and accurate bass was still present, but there was more of it. More sub bass and rumble. I thought the Utopias were not for me originally, but this session may have changed my opinion. After a bit of EQ application, there was more than enough bass for me. Punchy and direct, the Utopias bass was very satisfying, especially in comparison to the HD800S. 

Mids: The mids were as I remembered them. They are not lush and warm like the LCD-4, there is a clarity present that you don’t get with the Audezes. I tend to favour warmer and dark sound signatures, but I did really enjoy the Utopias mids. They aren’t scooped out sounding, and aren’t overbearing. I found they just sat right where they should, and sounded very cohesive. 

Treble: Very good. No sibilance that I could notice. There is a beautiful clarity and naturalness to the Treble of the Utopias. It isn’t harsh, or overemphasized. It is just really good. Thats it really.

Soundstage: I am a fan of a big soundstage, which the Utopias don’t have. They are a more closed in sounding headphone. However, compared to my initial listening session months ago, the depth of the soundstage surprised me. Instruments seemed to layer within the soundstage very well. I think I need another listen to really get a handle on the soundstage of the Utopias, as it isn’t big like I usually prefer. Could I live with it? After my initial listen, I didn’t think I could. After today……I think I really might be able to.

Imaging: Pin point precision. Everything is where it should be. You can pick out each instrument easily. 

The Utopias were a delight to listen to this morning. They really did impress me more than they did on the first go round months ago. The slight boost of the low end with EQ brought a fullness to the body of the headphones that I hadn’t heard before. They are a very nice neutral sounding headphone. I didn’t find them bright, or dark, or warm, or cold. They just sort of sit in the middle of all those descriptions. I enjoyed the soundstage a lot more than I did on the initial listen, to the point where I could see myself selling stuff to be able to own these headphones. The build quality is impressive, and the construction materials are even more so. All in all, if you can get your hands on a pair of Utopias to give them a listen, go for it. They may not be for you, but I think you will find at least one thing you like about them. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,377 of 20,602
Get rid of the the GSX and just use DAVE.  That is what I did without hesitation with the LCD4's, Abyss, HD800's and Utopia's.  In every case the DAVE directly out what my preference VS the DAVE through the GSX MKII.

The only alternative would be a very very top tier tubs amp if that's your thing.

Thx Paul! Have you heard the Moon 430HA? I wanted to try it pair with Utopia as I heard many positive dfeedback from this combo :)

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,379 of 20,602
Hi All,

I went to my local headphone shop this morning to give the Focal Utopia another test listen. The last time I tried them as right around their release, about 6-7 months ago. I listened for longer this morning than I did last time, and with a wider variety of music. Overall impressions? Very positive. I enjoyed them more than I remembered. 

The first thing I would like to mention is the comfort of the headphones. They are so, so comfortable. If you wear glasses like I do, there is a tiny space for the glasses legs to pass through, which I haven’t experienced on any other headphone before. This is a tiny detail, and it might not be intentional, but I really did notice it and the extra comfort it brought to the table. The ear pads are sumptuous, not too thick, and not too thin. One thing I made sure to test was the creak test of the carbon fibre yolks. This pair didn’t creak at all! I tried everything I could think of to get them to creak, and they were dead silent. This was a pleasant surprise, given what I have read and heard in Tyll’s video review. The headband sits comfortably right over the middle of the head (at least it did on my head, your head may be different I suppose) and the length of the yolks/earpieces is adjusted very easily. Although it is a heavier headphone than some, I am used to the LCD-4 and Abyss, so I really didn’t notice the weight at all. Maybe I have a strong neck. 

The build quality of the Utopia is fantastic. I said this in my initial impressions, and I still think so. Beautiful carbon fibre, leather, and metal. It feels very solid in the hands, and on your head. Again, no creaking at all. I suppose this is dependant on the pair? Or perhaps it goes away with use? I really don’t know. The stock cable is overly long, but seemed to be well built and durable. 

Now, onto how they sound. As this was a longer test with a wider variety of music, my impressions may have changed a little bit. 

Bass: I tried them initially in total stock tuning, with no EQ applied. I am a bit of a basshead, so I did find it a little bit lacking in the low end. However, after applying a bit of low end EQ, I really found the headphones transformed to my liking. The tight, fast and accurate bass was still present, but there was more of it. More sub bass and rumble. I thought the Utopias were not for me originally, but this session may have changed my opinion. After a bit of EQ application, there was more than enough bass for me. Punchy and direct, the Utopias bass was very satisfying, especially in comparison to the HD800S. 

Mids: The mids were as I remembered them. They are not lush and warm like the LCD-4, there is a clarity present that you don’t get with the Audezes. I tend to favour warmer and dark sound signatures, but I did really enjoy the Utopias mids. They aren’t scooped out sounding, and aren’t overbearing. I found they just sat right where they should, and sounded very cohesive. 

Treble: Very good. No sibilance that I could notice. There is a beautiful clarity and naturalness to the Treble of the Utopias. It isn’t harsh, or overemphasized. It is just really good. Thats it really.

Soundstage: I am a fan of a big soundstage, which the Utopias don’t have. They are a more closed in sounding headphone. However, compared to my initial listening session months ago, the depth of the soundstage surprised me. Instruments seemed to layer within the soundstage very well. I think I need another listen to really get a handle on the soundstage of the Utopias, as it isn’t big like I usually prefer. Could I live with it? After my initial listen, I didn’t think I could. After today……I think I really might be able to.

Imaging: Pin point precision. Everything is where it should be. You can pick out each instrument easily. 

The Utopias were a delight to listen to this morning. They really did impress me more than they did on the first go round months ago. The slight boost of the low end with EQ brought a fullness to the body of the headphones that I hadn’t heard before. They are a very nice neutral sounding headphone. I didn’t find them bright, or dark, or warm, or cold. They just sort of sit in the middle of all those descriptions. I enjoyed the soundstage a lot more than I did on the initial listen, to the point where I could see myself selling stuff to be able to own these headphones. The build quality is impressive, and the construction materials are even more so. All in all, if you can get your hands on a pair of Utopias to give them a listen, go for it. They may not be for you, but I think you will find at least one thing you like about them. 
they just a pair of headphones,they ain't mind blowing if I'm honest,two minds if to sell them, waiting for the Nordost heimdall 2 cable and see were I go from there but I ain't feeling the buzz.I've owned some of the best kit in the world but did I enjoy it and make me happy... No it made me miserable, I've got a fantastic system for the money and it sounds fun and I've got my utopia system for headphone Bliss but maybe my dad being ill I ain't feeling the music the same.Moral of the story is I've spent thousands but the system I've got now is making me more happy, just sit down and relax knowing it ain't the best but I'm buzzing listening to it.When you got the best your constantly flicking CD s to show its best,now I can relax and finally just enjoy the music, the addiction of buying the latest hi-fi I think is destroying the enjoyment of music.I'm a hi fi critic when I listen through the utopia but I've have more fun listening to my fairly average speaker system.Doesn't matter how much you spend on hi-fi after a month of listening to it,it becomes the norm so your wanting more.The perfect dealers dream.hi-fi can be like gambling very highly addictive

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,380 of 20,602
Trilogy 931 should be on your list...

May I ask why do you pick the 931 over the 933 driving the Utopia? How do you discribe the difference in sound?

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,381 of 20,602

That makes me curious.

If it is how you say, technically I could sell my Moon Neo 430HAD and potentially upgrade for a DAVE.

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2,382 of 20,602
Thx Paul! Have you heard the Moon 430HA? I wanted to try it pair with Utopia as I heard many positive dfeedback from this combo
smily_headphones1.gif

I've spent much too little time with it to really comment.  I think it is probably a great amp but if you have a DAVE it just isn't needed - it would cost you resolution and transparency (IE detail retrieval) and add distortion.  The Utopia's don't need more power than the DAVE can supply to fill out so I just don't see a need to add the 430 to that chain - unless an amp is adding something that is needed (which can happen) we headphone people are lucky we can often get away with going ampless.

That makes me curious.

If it is how you say, technically I could sell my Moon Neo 430HAD and potentially upgrade for a DAVE.

I probably would provided you can afford it. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,383 of 20,602

I've spent much too little time with it to really comment.  I think it is probably a great amp but if you have a DAVE it just isn't needed - it would cost you resolution and transparency (IE detail retrieval) and add distortion.  The Utopia's don't need more power than the DAVE can supply to fill out so I just don't see a need to add the 430 to that chain - unless an amp is adding something that is needed (which can happen) we headphone people are lucky we can often get away with going ampless.

I probably would provided you can afford it. 

Good to know... I am considering selling to upgrade, but I worry about what to do with all of my 4-pin custom cables haha. (for my Abyss and Utopia)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back