Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 4, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,416 of 20,602
lavricable in my HUMBLE opinion is spectacular by any standard...you cant go wrong with them especially his signature series...just breathtaking
Check with ThirdEye. He feels the WireWorld Platinum is the best pairing cable. I like it but I'm using Kimber Axios Silver as my go to cable on the Utopia. Jude fell in love with the Kimber Axios Copper. There may be a good reason why Focal, MrSpeaker, Sony, Woo, TSAV, Cavalli and a lot of others demo with Kimber Kables.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,417 of 20,602
I'm using Norne Draug 2C and found that the cable is very musical, full bodied, fluid, a tad more bass as well, and overall better ergonomics compared to the stock cable. I didn't feel like I lost anything with the D2C. I would check Norne out as well.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #2,418 of 20,602
For those with recent Utopia, do you still experience the creakiness of the headband as shown in Tyll's video?  It didn't bother me before, but today even a slight head turning would cause it to creak.  I'm thinking of contacting Focal to get a replacement, but the thought of burning these in again pains me.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,419 of 20,602
For those with recent Utopia, do you still experience the creakiness of the headband as shown in Tyll's video?  It didn't bother me before, but today even a slight head turning would cause it to creak.  I'm thinking of contacting Focal to get a replacement, but the thought of burning these in again pains me.

My pair is a couple of weeks old and yes I'm starting to get a bit of creaking. I think Tyll is right in what he thinks the cause is-carbon can be a pain!

I think mine are going back anyway though as I think I prefer the HEK v2-possibly the less out and out capable of the two but I prefer their presentation.

The Utopia I feel forced me to concentrate on every note-the HEK is a shade more laid back about proceedings.

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,421 of 20,602
Mine are over 3 months old now, creaking still here (from the very beginning), but a lot less noticeable, maybe the connection points to the carbon is fitting better over time and use.

I'm too evaluating the HEK v2 (and I have HEK v1 since a couple of years), but I will 99% keep them both.

Utopia IMHO is still superior (by a quite large margin) in mid/vocals, transparency and overall "liveliness".

HEK v2 has that smooth and laid back presentation that I love so much with the HEK v1, but with a little bit more dynamics which is very welcome, even if still far from the level of the Utopia. IMHO.

Simply put, two different cans and both TOTL. One thing though that HEK (both v1 and v2) can do better, is the sub-bass extension, these cans can really make you "feel" the 20Hz..........

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,422 of 20,602
Mine are over 3 months old now, creaking still here (from the very beginning), but a lot less noticeable, maybe the connection points to the carbon is fitting better over time and use.

I'm too evaluating the HEK v2 (and I have HEK v1 since a couple of years), but I will 99% keep them both.

Utopia IMHO is still superior (by a quite large margin) in mid/vocals, transparency and overall "liveliness".

HEK v2 has that smooth and laid back presentation that I love so much with the HEK v1, but with a little bit more dynamics which is very welcome, even if still far from the level of the Utopia. IMHO.

Simply put, two different cans and both TOTL. One thing though that HEK (both v1 and v2) can do better, is the sub-bass extension, these cans can really make you "feel" the 20Hz..........

I can only keep one unfortunately and for me the HEK gives me what I'm looking for. It has a musicality that, whilst a bit more flawed, just does it for me.

I have finally found something that gives me what my old separates did.

The thing I find odd about the Utopia (and I appreciate this is probably just me) is that when I am a/b'ing them, for the first couple of minutes they totally blow me away but as I stop concentrating so hard they fall back to being average. I feel I am forced to really concentrate on how special they are.

The HEK's allow me to just float with the music, drift away with their presentation of the music.

No they are not as fast but there's only a shade in it. No they are not as detailed but again imo no worse for it. No they are not nearly as dynamic but they don't try to be so don't suffer for it.

The HEK is undoubtedly more airy, more spacious and that for me is where they best the Utopia.

For the £1k saving for me I think I've decided but I have a couple more days to make my mind up.

For now though I have no desire to put the Utopia's back on.

I am realky glad I have had the chance to get them and they age undoubtedly one of the very best headphones out there, the absolute best on and areas but for how I listen to music, what I am looking for from a headphone the HEK take it I think.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #2,423 of 20,602
the utopia is an excellent can but you have to please yourself. if you prefer the he1000 having compared both extensively, then you've made an informed decision and the right choice for you. enjoy!

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #2,424 of 20,602
the utopia is an excellent can but you have to please yourself. if you prefer the he1000 having compared both extensively, then you've made an informed decision and the right choice for you. enjoy!

Indeed. And we are very fortunate to be able to make such a choice.

Before making a final decision though I will listen to the Utopia again once I've had the HEK's on my head a few more hours.

I prefer to do a day with one headphone, then go back rather than constantly swapping every few tracks.

Oh I should also mention build quality as its such a hot topic-particularly for HFM. Actually the HEK is very good and I understand it when Dr F states he'll taken function and sound over form.

The Utopia are outstanding though-except for the 'carbon creak' (phrase copyright DBG :)).

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #2,425 of 20,602
Regarding squeaking,

My 4 day old pair does not squeak when I twist the ear cup stems with the adjusting rails either fully in or fully extended. The demo pair I evaluated for a week, which were no more than a 7 weeks out of the box, did squeak a bit if I intentionally twisted the stems, but it’s a non-issue for me as I don’t sit and torque the ear cup assemblies while listening, and the demo pair made no squeaking sounds when moving my head about with them on. Maybe they'll develop a squeak in time but I don't see that as an issue at this point.

Does anyone know if Focal ever commented on what the possible cause could be for units that squeak?

Do the Elear aluminium stems squeak when torqued?

Is it the stem or the headband squeaking?

Just thinking out loud.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,427 of 20,602
Check with ThirdEye. He feels the WireWorld Platinum is the best pairing cable. I like it but I'm using Kimber Axios Silver as my go to cable on the Utopia. Jude fell in love with the Kimber Axios Copper. There may be a good reason why Focal, MrSpeaker, Sony, Woo, TSAV, Cavalli and a lot of others demo with Kimber Kables.

Very interested to hear more about the Kimber Axios Copper is anyone has them or even demo'd them with the Utopia

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,429 of 20,602
I want to ask you fine Utopia owners a question. I know the Utopia scales well with better upstream equipments and all that but if you use it in portable setting mostly, is it still worth doing it? I am only concern with the sound and not the logistic of moving it around. In other words, in a portable setting, will the Utopia be able to shine at all making it a worthwhile exercise? The reviewer at Absolute Sound seems to think the Utopia is a relatively easy to drive phone that driving it with a dap can be quite enjoyable. But if only 50 percent of its potential can be realized then it may not worth it. How much difference do you think there is between driving it from a desktop amp and a totl dap like the Sony1Z? For instance, if you are going on a vacation or a trip for a week or two, is it worth taking the Utopia along so you can enjoy the music, or is it not worth it because it is just not that good driving from a portable setup. I know many of you will experience an increase heart rate just thinking about taking you Utopia out of your house but leaving that aside, and judging only from sound alone, what do you think? Can you get 80 percent out of it? Thanks.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,430 of 20,602
I want to ask you fine Utopia owners a question. I know the Utopia scales well with better upstream equipments and all that but if you use it in portable setting mostly, is it still worth doing it? I am only concern with the sound and not the logistic of moving it around. In other words, in a portable setting, will the Utopia be able to shine at all making it a worthwhile exercise? The reviewer at Absolute Sound seems to think the Utopia is a relatively easy to drive phone that driving it with a dap can be quite enjoyable. But if only 50 percent of its potential can be realized then it may not worth it. How much difference do you think there is between driving it from a desktop amp and a totl dap like the Sony1Z? For instance, if you are going on a vacation or a trip for a week or two, is it worth taking the Utopia along so you can enjoy the music, or is it not worth it because it is just not that good driving from a portable setup. I know many of you will experience an increase heart rate just thinking about taking you Utopia out of your house but leaving that aside, and judging only from sound alone, what do you think? Can you get 80 percent out of it? Thanks.

Take a Chord Hugo 2 with you and you'll be at least at 80%!

However personally there's no way I'd travel width the best part of $7000 audio kit-just don't see the point.

I'd take my Mojo and Beyerdynamic T51P. More than enough SQ for /p work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back