Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #16,202 of 20,602
they are excellent, I owned them twice...I own the TC now lol
Yep, I have both the TC’s and Utopia’s. I enjoy them equally, but the TC’s do have a bit more of a ”Wow” factor to their sound. The Utopia’s have a more intimate sound that brings you closer to music. The TC’s are more grand in their delivery. They are very complementary to each other.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #16,203 of 20,602
I currently have a variety of TOTL headphones. Of them all, the Utopias have the best layering ( at least out of my setup), and that’s why I keep them around. They’re not in my top 3, but I could argue they’re my 4th or 5th favorite.

I go with TCs at number one. Tie for number two with the Susvaras and SR1as. Tie for number 4 between the Utopias and LCD-4s

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #16,205 of 20,602
I have to say with all the new releases coming out, I'm still finding the Utopia's relevant. They are still the best dynamic driver headphones I've heard.
nicely put

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #16,206 of 20,602
IMG_20211007_200910.jpg

Really enjoying pairing the Utopia with Ferrum Hypsos and OOR amp combo. The amp really suits Utopia's signature, it is really balanced across the spectrum. The bass and vocals are a pleasure to listen to and will not drastically change Utopia's signature. The bass is punchy and detailed, without adding extra quantity. Vocals are prominent and have a good amount of air. The treble is fatigue-free while maintaining a good amount of detal. Zero sharpness or metallic characteristic. 2cent, my Utopia does not come with an XLR cable.
The quantity is good enough, the question is, is the combo fast enough for the dynamics to punch when it needs to or does it lag behind? be honest. And you're powering it through the XLR, so whatever that last comment was? :)

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #16,207 of 20,602
Reassuring to hear the praise, since I picked up my Utopia 4 months ago and considered all other TOTL cans.

Susvara was out because of pickiness with amps.
TC are unwieldy so those were out.
D8000 pro were not very comfortable
LCD4 too heavy and I already have LCD3

I think the Utopia is the best all around acknowledging you can get better performance with more effort and/or compromise. I’d rather comprise some ultimate performance for a versatility and comfort. Porsche over Lambo.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #16,208 of 20,602
Reassuring to hear the praise, since I picked up my Utopia 4 months ago and considered all other TOTL cans.

Susvara was out because of pickiness with amps.
TC are unwieldy so those were out.
D8000 pro were not very comfortable
LCD4 too heavy and I already have LCD3

I think the Utopia is the best all around acknowledging you can get better performance with more effort and/or compromise. I’d rather comprise some ultimate performance for a versatility and comfort. Porsche over Lambo.
Agreed on all points. The Utopia is the best DD headphone still available on the market today.

Though I’ll suggest reserving judgement as to the best all rounder until you’ve auditioned the lcd-5

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #16,209 of 20,602
Yeah, I’m eager to read comparisons of the LCD5. @samesame shared a few impressions in the LCD5 thread, maybe he or others will be able to share more details with more listening time.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #16,210 of 20,602
Focal Utopia has incredible openness, flawless tonal balance at any volume, sound airiness, purity, transparency are impressive. high frequencies are the standard, here they are divided into crystal, flexible, elongated, voluminous and natural, with an amazing richness of overtones. Anything better is much more expensive and requires more amplification. Although it requires quite a lot of power, I get absolute pleasure when I have time to listen to these headphones using a stationary one.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #16,211 of 20,602
The Dekoni elite hybrid pads (replacing goop pads) are very comfortable. I think they add a bit of bloom in the bass but I can live with that. I was becoming quite uncomfortable knowing the amount of goop making it’s way to the drivers. Kinda like the volcano in Spain. Eventually I’ll get the og when Focal gets their act together. My HD800s filled in for a couple days but let’s face it…. once you’ve been to Utopia there’s no substitute.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #16,212 of 20,602
What I like about Utopias -- and maybe this is the case with the LCD5 -- is being able to take them on the road, plug them into a DAP, and get desktop-class performance. Maybe some of the other cans have some edges here and there, but the unfussiness of the Utopias is a big deal.

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #16,213 of 20,602
The Utopia are arguably the best dynamic headphone produced today. They are still however a compromised in SQ compared to the best headphone (Susvara, Raal, Abyss).

TC, Susvara and Raal are all better. And they all cost at least twice to buy and drive (amp).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #16,214 of 20,602
The Dekoni elite hybrid pads (replacing goop pads) are very comfortable. I think they add a bit of bloom in the bass but I can live with that. I was becoming quite uncomfortable knowing the amount of goop making it’s way to the drivers. Kinda like the volcano in Spain. Eventually I’ll get the og when Focal gets their act together. My HD800s filled in for a couple days but let’s face it…. once you’ve been to Utopia there’s no substitute.
I still really like to switch between my headphones, since I am not always in the mood of that dynamic punch and clarity but with the Dekoni pads they have become my go to headphone, before it was the HD800. The bloom you are mentioning actually is what makes more natural and enjoyable to me.

Oct 16, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #16,215 of 20,602
The Utopia are arguably the best dynamic headphone produced today. They are still however a compromised in SQ compared to the best headphone (Susvara, Raal, Abyss).

TC, Susvara and Raal are all better. And they all cost at least twice to buy and drive (amp).
are they actually better or better in your view? i appreciate that you are expressing your opinion and perhaps your personal preference, but without the inclusion of 'i think' or 'imo', it comes off as incontrovertible, which it isn't - just sayin'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back