Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #16,216 of 20,597
Good question; is there a dynamic headphones that comes close? Are there members that compared them.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #16,217 of 20,597
Good question; is there a dynamic headphones that comes close? Are there members that compared them.
Not that I have experienced

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #16,218 of 20,597
are they actually better or better in your view? i appreciate that you are expressing your opinion and perhaps your personal preference, but without the inclusion of 'i think' or 'imo', it comes off as incontrovertible, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, which it isn't - just sayin'.
There you go - i fixed it for you, imho

:)

(I couldn’t resist but i understand your point and i (i think) always throw “ymmv” and/or “imho”when i share my views, but, hey, this headfi)

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #16,219 of 20,597
There you go - i fixed it for you, imho

:)

(I couldn’t resist but i understand your point and i (i think) always throw “ymmv” and/or “imho”when i share my views, but, hey, this headfi)
i think it would have been more appropriate had you 'fixed' his post rather than mine

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #16,220 of 20,597
i think it would have been more appropriate had you 'fixed' his post rather than mine
You addressed his - so no need to

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #16,222 of 20,597
are they actually better or better in your view? i appreciate that you are expressing your opinion and perhaps your personal preference, but without the inclusion of 'i think' or 'imo', it comes off as incontrovertible, which it isn't - just sayin'.
I hear you. We also need to remember everything on head-fi is subjective. Sometimes even the facts ( like what frequencies are mids vs treble) which drives me nuts. IMHO! 😎

Oct 16, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #16,223 of 20,597
Only Verite, I think. Verite's tuning is very different, though, so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how close it comes to Utopia in technical ability. They definitely play in the same league, though.

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #16,224 of 20,597
Happens every time a bunch of posts about pad gunk appear — I end up freaking out, removing my pads and inspecting them, fearing the worst.

Happy to report once again, no gunk on my pads — original pads from purchase in 2017.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #16,225 of 20,597
Only Verite, I think. Verite's tuning is very different, though, so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how close it comes to Utopia in technical ability. They definitely play in the same league, though.
Ok thanks will search it on the net

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #16,226 of 20,597
I think every individual comment offered in these forums is obviously an individual opinion and need not be accompanied by a disclaimer that it is a personal opinion...I dont think there is any absolute best but there certainly is gear that has a consensus about its merit

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #16,227 of 20,597
There will never be a best headphone until someone invents one with a dynamic frequency response which adjusts to our preference for the music we are listening to. That’s end game lol

Oct 16, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #16,228 of 20,597
There will never be a best headphone until someone invents one with a dynamic frequency response which adjusts to our preference for the music we are listening to. That’s end game lol

But it’s more than just that. Some people want a wider soundstage, or relaxed sound, or lushness. Not sure just changing frequency response can adjust all these factors. Look at the Stealth. Some people say they have great frequency response but lack dynamics. The Utopia’s will generally have a small, upfront soundstage, with punchy sound. They change their warmth, tone, and size of their smallish soundstage depending how they are amped and what cable you use. But if you are looking for lush and relaxing, they are not going to give you that. For me, at this point in my life, they are perfect. I want an exciting headphone. Not to say there might not be something that suits me better, but this is best I’ve heard for what I’m willing to spend on equipment to support them.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #16,230 of 20,597
I think every individual comment offered in these forums is obviously an individual opinion and need not be accompanied by a disclaimer that it is a personal opinion...I dont think there is any absolute best but there certainly is gear that has a consensus about its merit
and this is coming from someone who routinely describes his abyss tc as 'the best'. :wink: i think that expressing an opinion as an absolute devalues it. simply asserting in a forum post that a headphone or a piece of ancillary gear is 'the best' without offering a reason in support of it adds little to the discussion 'imho'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back