Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #16,231 of 20,550
actually I have said the sr1a and tc and susvara and sol p make up the top of the line IMHO and each time I listen to one I think it is the best ....

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #16,232 of 20,550
^ you have repeatedly described the abyss tc as 'the best' or 'better' in this thread as i recall. anyway, they can't all be 'the best' now can they.

from Seinfeld: Every time somebody recommends a doctor, he's always the best. "Oh, is he good? -- Oh, he's the best. This guy's the best." They can't all be the best. There can't be this many bests. Someone's graduating at the bottom of these classes. Where are these doctors? Is somewhere someone saying to their friend, "You should see my doctor. He's the worst. Oh, yeah. He's the worst. He's the absolute worst there is..."

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #16,233 of 20,550
Happens every time a bunch of posts about pad gunk appear — I end up freaking out, removing my pads and inspecting them, fearing the worst.

Happy to report once again, no gunk on my pads — original pads from purchase in 2017.
i removed mine yesterday for a check-up (also original ear pads circa 2017) and it's all good - for now :smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #16,234 of 20,550
^ you have repeatedly described the abyss tc as 'the best' in this thread as i recall. anyway, they can't all be 'the best' now can they.

From Seinfeld: Every time somebody recommends a doctor, he's always the best. "Oh, is he good? -- Oh, he's the best. This guy's the best." They can't all be the best. There can't be this many bests.
In that case let’s say they might all be:

1634444845204.gif

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #16,235 of 20,550
^ you have repeatedly described the abyss tc as 'the best' or 'better' in this thread as i recall. anyway, they can't all be 'the best' now can they.

From Seinfeld: Every time somebody recommends a doctor, he's always the best. "Oh, is he good? -- Oh, he's the best. This guy's the best." They can't all be the best. There can't be this many bests. Someone's graduating at the bottom of these classes. Where are these doctors? Is somewhere someone saying to their friend, "You should see my doctor. He's the worst. Oh, yeah. He's the worst. He's the absolute worst there is..."
Top comment, respect.
PS. My car shittest of the crap. lol

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #16,236 of 20,550
Guys

About that goop issue, I removed my earpads just today and found that, although no sticky residue is on the backside of the earpads or the inside of the earcups yet, the seam seemed to have some sticky goo leaking out.

Is this it?
UTP-Earpad.jpgUTP-Earpad-2.jpg

I'm a bit concerning and decided not to put back the earpads for now.

So, on to the replacement... as absurd as it is, where I live the replacement (Focal's) earpads sell for USD 380 a pair! I tried to buy it online but all sellers told me Focal prohibited them from shipping any products/parts to my country (being forced to buy from local distributor with absurd markup).

Anyway... if I decide to go with the Dekoni's offering, they seem to have quite a few options available, namely:
- Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin
- Elite Solid Sheepshin
- Elite Hybrid
- Elite Valour

If I want it to sound as close to Focal's stock pads as possible, which one should I choose? If the high can be tamed a tad more, that would be a plus.

Most importantly, I remember reading somewhere that all Dekoni pads sound worse, comparing with Focal's stock offering. Is this the case at all?

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #16,237 of 20,550
Oct 17, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #16,238 of 20,550
Guys

About that goop issue, I removed my earpads just today and found that, although no sticky residue is on the backside of the earpads or the inside of the earcups yet, the seam seemed to have some sticky goo leaking out.

Is this it?
UTP-Earpad.jpgUTP-Earpad-2.jpg

I'm a bit concerning and decided not to put back the earpads for now.

So, on to the replacement... as absurd as it is, where I live the replacement (Focal's) earpads sell for USD 380 a pair! I tried to buy it online but all sellers told me Focal prohibited them from shipping any products/parts to my country (being forced to buy from local distributor with absurd markup).

Anyway... if I decide to go with the Dekoni's offering, they seem to have quite a few options available, namely:
- Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin
- Elite Solid Sheepshin
- Elite Hybrid
- Elite Valour

If I want it to sound as close to Focal's stock pads as possible, which one should I choose? If the high can be tamed a tad more, that would be a plus.

Most importantly, I remember reading somewhere that all Dekoni pads sound worse, comparing with Focal's stock offering. Is this the case at all?
it looks like the start of it. how long have you had your utopia and how do you store it?

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #16,239 of 20,550
it looks like the start of it. how long have you had your utopia and how do you store it?
I would say... I have it for just over a year. I live in Thailand so when Air-Con was off, room temp could swing as high as 37c. This might make it worse.

I'm glad I discovered this before it goes out of control and smears my drivers. After digging through this thread, I just ordered a pair of Dekoni Fenestrated Pads as, from your guys' impressions, this one seemed to fit my preference. Pity that Focal asked so much for their pads but quality didn't seem to go along with the price. Comparing with earpads from other brands, I don't know what made Focal's so expensive (for example, ZMF sells their Verite pads for $70 a pair).

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #16,240 of 20,550
I have the dekoni elite hybrid installed for a few days now. My brain has settled down. I do find them a bit “darker”. I also get the best sound for my taste if I position them with my ear inside the pad. With og they slightly covered the back of the ear. I am still waiting for my pair of og but don’t expect them soon.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #16,241 of 20,550
so i've had Utopia for 2 weeks with a silver cable, I'm absolutely in love about the attack speed and slam of pretty much everything. I'm currently driving it with a topping d90/a90 stack and I'm already very happy. Question is, is there a way to further improve its signature from here? Is there any headphone with Utopia's sound signature but slightly more bass quantity?

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #16,242 of 20,550
Well, my worst nightmare happened again. Focal Utopia's driver failure for the second time, a mere 7 months after changing to a new pair. Unbelievable. For the money i've spent on the Utopia's replacement driver thus far, i could have topped up a bit more and gotten myself an Empryean. Not sure what to do now, and not sure if the replacement drivers are still covered by warranty. :/

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #16,243 of 20,550
Well, my worst nightmare happened again. Focal Utopia's driver failure for the second time, a mere 7 months after changing to a new pair. Unbelievable. For the money i've spent on the Utopia's replacement driver thus far, i could have topped up a bit more and gotten myself an Empryean. Not sure what to do now, and not sure if the replacement drivers are still covered by warranty. :/
Warranty = 5 years (see post 1)

no idea if extra time when drivers are replaced

i’m guessing/hoping/assuming focal will look after you after just 7 months

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #16,244 of 20,550
Warranty = 5 years (see post 1)

no idea if extra time when drivers are replaced

i’m guessing/hoping/assuming focal will look after you after just 7 months
Well i called up the official distributor who replaced it for me, and he said that there's no warranty, but he's offered to check and see what's what. If it's another driver failure, I fully intend to escalate this matter. I'm extra sore about this because i kept it in the box and in a proper storage in my house, when i went away for 3 months. Came back only to find only one side working. So frustrating that it's happened for a second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back