Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 24, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3,902 of 4,508
The stellia with my lpgt ti is simply awesome this evening.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,903 of 4,508
Interested in getting Stellia as I need a good closed can. Summer is coming and it's going get noisier outside. The only closed can I have is Mr.Speakers Aeon which I still enjoy time to time. However, my main daily driver is Diana Phi. Is Stellia brighter / more detailed than the Diana? Another closed can I am looking at is Meze Liric. Anyone have experience with Stellia and Liric.?

Mar 27, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #3,904 of 4,508
20220316_154739-01.jpeg

I have this set up in my office. the Dave and Kimber cable belong to a friend, who is lending it to me long term. After a few days of listening, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.. don't know if it's the usb input, cabling, or the source (Intel nuc). seems quite flat sounding and artificial/digital.

I took the Stellia home today and played a few songs I usually play during my free time at work.

2022_0323_19082900-02.jpeg

now this setup, makes the Stellia sound so much more alive, dynamic and natural. Sotm streamer to txusbultra, Singxer su6, Wavelight, wa33. the music (and the Stellia) is so much more enjoyable with a tube amp..

feels like the office setup is letting the Stellia down.. by a lot. I have a Schiit Magnius/Modius on order (wanted a budget rig since won't be doing too much listening at work), but am thinking I'm setting myself up for more disappointment.

Anyone with a Schiit stack have good things to say about the pairing with Stellia?
Looks beautilfull. So impressed that you have the option of trying out different settings. I just have to stick with the one(s) I chose...:beyersmile:

Mar 27, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,905 of 4,508
Looks beautilfull. So impressed that you have the option of trying out different settings. I just have to stick with the one(s) I chose...:beyersmile:

Thanks man. actually the only reason I get the opportunity to try out different settings I because I have some friends who are very generous in lending out their gear.. very grateful for these guys; without them I wouldn't have been able to play with a lot of nice stuff!

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,906 of 4,508
Interested in getting Stellia ... Another closed can I am looking at is Meze Liric. Anyone have experience with Stellia and Liric.?
I personally do not. I haven't watched it myself, but Z_reviews recent did a video on Meze Liric. He also owns a pair of Stellia; he recent had a pair on his recent review of the FiiO K9 Pro ESS.
[youtube]

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #3,907 of 4,508
I personally do not. I haven't watched it myself, but Z_reviews recent did a video on Meze Liric. He also owns a pair of Stellia; he recent had a pair on his recent review of the FiiO K9 Pro ESS.
[youtube]

Convince me Audio is going to release a closed back shoot out between Stellia, Liric, Verite and XC soon. Should be interesting as he's one of the few reviewers to have simultaneously owned these closed backs.

In other news, I finally got my own Stellia yesterday! They sound incredible on a Chord Hugo. And the best bit, I can pop the Hugo in my pocket, and use aptx, and turn them into a very, very nice sounding bluetooth headphone. I'll post further impressions soon, including comparisons with my Clear, Celestee (although I just sold them) and P9.

Stellia.jpg

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #3,908 of 4,508
Hi everyone, I have been a headphones enthusiasts all my life and a member of this board since 2017. I did a lot of lurking here in this thread, but up till now I never got to spent any serious money on cans. Last week I finally invested in something worthwhile, the Stellia 🙂

I have only used them for about 15 hours, but I'm already quite content, in spite of the fact that they did not yet receive a good run-in and are still only connected to my Apple iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro, unbalanced. I keep thinking, if this already sounds so good, what would happen if I connected the Stellia with the balanced cable to something light like a Naim Headphone Edition 🙂

I have an Apple Music subscription and I am undecided between using Dolby Atmos and Stereo, I think it depends on the recording and the sort of music/artist.

Here comes my question: the way I understand it, the Dolby Atmos effect is being created on my Stellia through phase differences that gave the impression of spatial, 3D sound. Would this messing around with the phases be in anyway harmful to my headphones? I wouldn't want to degenerate or harm them, so early in their life 🙂

As you might have guessed by now I am totally non-technical and I was wondering if the different usage of extraordinary phase difference might make the Beryllium bend in ways that are unhealthy?

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3,909 of 4,508
Hi everyone, I have been a headphones enthusiasts all my life and a member of this board since 2017. I did a lot of lurking here in this thread, but up till now I never got to spent any serious money on cans. Last week I finally invested in something worthwhile, the Stellia 🙂

I have only used them for about 15 hours, but I'm already quite content, in spite of the fact that they did not yet receive a good run-in and are still only connected to my Apple iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro, unbalanced. I keep thinking, if this already sounds so good, what would happen if I connected the Stellia with the balanced cable to something light like a Naim Headphone Edition 🙂

I have an Apple Music subscription and I am undecided between using Dolby Atmos and Stereo, I think it depends on the recording and the sort of music/artist.

Here comes my question: the way I understand it, the Dolby Atmos effect is being created on my Stellia through phase differences that gave the impression of spatial, 3D sound. Would this messing around with the phases be in anyway harmful to my headphones? I wouldn't want to degenerate or harm them, so early in their life 🙂

As you might have guessed by now I am totally non-technical and I was wondering if the different usage of extraordinary phase difference might make the Beryllium bend in ways that are unhealthy?
Hi there,

Welcome to the “Stellia club”! You now qualify for 1) the incredulous responses from non-audiophiles/head-fi enthusiasts (“you paid WHAT for headphones?!”) and some envy from the head-fiers who like Focals… 😊

Seriously though, you should not need to worry about Dolby Atmos or other 3D tech. The playback using those systems/DSP-related audio does not “warp” or affect the headphones unnaturally.

Lastly, I will note that better sources and amplification will have a large impact on the quality you’ll hear from the Stellias. One possible option for a relatively low-price desktop amp is the Violectric V200- sometimes these pop up used for about $400 USD, and it’s a great match with the Stellias.

The V200 does not show everything the headphones are capable of, I’m sure, but gets them at least part of the way there and sonically matches well.

Another good option should be the older Burson amps (HA-160, Soloist v1 and Soloist SL)- they can be real bargains and are built like tanks (as are the Violectrics). The only note is that the HA-160 uses a discrete/stepped volume control, so it is less precise in the volume control if you are very sensitive to exact volume. But the stepped approach has some sonic benefits. The other Bursons use a more common volume control (potentiometer) I believe.

The biggest thing for me with the Stellias has been their exceptional clarity and detail while balancing well with musicality. My ZMF Auteurs, while more musical/timbre-accurate, are a bit less clear and revealing (and they are open-backed).

If you down the road want open-backed headphones that remind you of the Stellia, I’d suggest the Focal Elears or Clears. Both are bargains in their own right, and you can find Elears in like-new condition for $400 USD, a steal for the sound quality and comfort.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,910 of 4,508
@mainguy , what source do you drive your Hugo with that runs your Stellia? I have both the Hugo and Stellia as well, and would love to know a good transport source for portable use with that pair! Thanks!

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #3,911 of 4,508
@mainguy , what source do you drive your Hugo with that runs your Stellia? I have both the Hugo and Stellia as well, and would love to know a good transport source for portable use with that pair! Thanks!
Hi mate.

Atm just my phone with a braided magnilink cable for convenience. It such a great combo right?!
I'm considering getting a google chromecast audio. It's virtually lossless streaming via wifi (phone hotspot) and it would make the hugo wireless but very close to wired SQ, and would make life easier on the go for sure. The chromecast audio plugs directly into the hugo via aux, then the phone streams directly to it. Ill just use a mini powerbank with the chromecast, so should still be a manageable footprint. I find the Hugo very easy to pocket, sits in my inside jacket pocket so dont mind adding a tiny chromecast.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3,912 of 4,508
Hi mate.

Atm just my phone with a braided magnilink cable for convenience. It such a great combo right?!
I'm considering getting a google chromecast audio. It's virtually lossless streaming via wifi (phone hotspot) and it would make the hugo wireless but very close to wired SQ, and would make life easier on the go for sure. The chromecast audio plugs directly into the hugo via aux, then the phone streams directly to it. Ill just use a mini powerbank with the chromecast, so should still be a manageable footprint. I find the Hugo very easy to pocket, sits in my inside jacket pocket so dont mind adding a tiny chromecast.
Aux as in analog input and thereby using the dac in the chromecast rather than the Hugo?

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,913 of 4,508
Aux as in analog input and thereby using the dac in the chromecast rather than the Hugo?
Oops my bad, not sure what I was thinking. would be optical from the chromecast. There's a fair few who've done it on head fi with the Mojo so should be doable with Hugo.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #3,914 of 4,508
Stellia responds really well to the nuanced differences in Solid State and Tube amp options of the C9.
focal stellia.jpg

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3,915 of 4,508
Stellia responds really well to the nuanced differences in Solid State and Tube amp options of the C9.
focal stellia.jpg
The same applies to firmware changes/upgrading (courtesy of @MrWalkman ) to the WM1A- and I would presume so for the WM1Z as well. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back