Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 11, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #3,887 of 4,499
I was wondering how other are taking care of or maintaining their Stellia headsets. More specifically on the leather to make sure it does not dry out or discolor. RIght now, I'm wiping mine with a microfiber clothe when I'm done listening to them. I should be doing some kind of cleaner and conditioning. I was thinking of using the cleaner/conditioner I use my car's leather interior.
I wash my hair everyday.

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #3,888 of 4,499
I wash my hair everyday.
:) I am pretty sure that the headband will get darker no matter what you wash. The trick is to get the color to even out. That can be done by "massaging" any natural grease into the leather. Eventually, you'll see a very nice dark brown color develops.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #3,890 of 4,499
I’ve had mine for 2 years and not a single color change.
It sounds like the use of chemicals is changing the color of the Stellia’s and not for the better. I‘m not sure I will use leather cleaner on mine. I hope my Stellia’s stay somewhat close to its original color for as long as I have them.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,891 of 4,499
I’ve had mine for 2 years and not a single color change.
Same here. I am pretty careful to make sure my hands are clean. Other than that I have not done anything else in terms of protection and they look like new. (1.5yrs old)

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #3,892 of 4,499
ah man, cant we talk about how great these headphones sound with all kinds of music , instead of droning on and on about the color of the leather changing. this topic has been discussed b4 add nauseum.
DSCF0937.JPG

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,893 of 4,499
ah man, cant we talk about how great these headphones sound with all kinds of music , instead of droning on and on about the color of the leather changing. this topic has been discussed b4 add nauseum. DSCF0937.JPG
LOL. …and then you include a picture of them…feeding the fire…

Agreed. I’ve just been listening / enjoying them and using the same care I do with any of my gear. It would be a shame for someone to not purchase these due to a concern about the leather. When they on your head you can’t seem em anyway. Enjoy!

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #3,895 of 4,499
20220316_154739-01.jpeg

I have this set up in my office. the Dave and Kimber cable belong to a friend, who is lending it to me long term. After a few days of listening, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.. don't know if it's the usb input, cabling, or the source (Intel nuc). seems quite flat sounding and artificial/digital.

I took the Stellia home today and played a few songs I usually play during my free time at work.

2022_0323_19082900-02.jpeg

now this setup, makes the Stellia sound so much more alive, dynamic and natural. Sotm streamer to txusbultra, Singxer su6, Wavelight, wa33. the music (and the Stellia) is so much more enjoyable with a tube amp..

feels like the office setup is letting the Stellia down.. by a lot. I have a Schiit Magnius/Modius on order (wanted a budget rig since won't be doing too much listening at work), but am thinking I'm setting myself up for more disappointment.

Anyone with a Schiit stack have good things to say about the pairing with Stellia?

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #3,896 of 4,499
feels like the office setup is letting the Stellia down.. by a lot. I have a Schiit Magnius/Modius on order (wanted a budget rig since won't be doing too much listening at work), but am thinking I'm setting myself up for more disappointment.

Anyone with a Schiit stack have good things to say about the pairing with Stellia?

What i can tell you is a used Chord Hugo 1 sounds very nice with Focals in general, and Stellia sounds incredible on Chord stuff (above Mojo) imo. And you get the portability.
It's technically better than the Schiit setup, a bit more pricey like $450 on ebay, but its an amazing portable source for stellia.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,897 of 4,499
20220316_154739-01.jpeg

I have this set up in my office. the Dave and Kimber cable belong to a friend, who is lending it to me long term. After a few days of listening, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.. don't know if it's the usb input, cabling, or the source (Intel nuc). seems quite flat sounding and artificial/digital.

I took the Stellia home today and played a few songs I usually play during my free time at work.

now this setup, makes the Stellia sound so much more alive, dynamic and natural. Sotm streamer to txusbultra, Singxer su6, Wavelight, wa33. the music (and the Stellia) is so much more enjoyable with a tube amp..

Thats the Chord sound.

Is it a linear PSU next to the Chord? Or a server/streamer?

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,898 of 4,499
20220316_154739-01.jpeg

Unfortunately, I do not have experience of Schiit stacks but I am grateful to you for saving my wallet from Chord's Dave...:) Having the original Hugo TT paired with the Stellia, I would be inclined to agree with your recommendation of a tube amp. I wonder what the combination of Dave / WA33 would sound like?

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3,899 of 4,499
Unfortunately, I do not have experience of Schiit stacks but I am grateful to you for saving my wallet from Chord's Dave...:) Having the original Hugo TT paired with the Stellia, I would be inclined to agree with your recommendation of a tube amp. I wonder what the combination of Dave / WA33 would sound like?
The Stellias work great out of the D90SE/A90 (balanced) stack and I like it out of the ifi Micro iDSD signature. The Mojo Wasn’t a great match and the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt robs the Stellias of all magic. Only tube amp I have is a Lyr 2 which has such grainy treble it lives in a dark closet unloved and forgotten.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #3,900 of 4,499
What i can tell you is a used Chord Hugo 1 sounds very nice with Focals in general, and Stellia sounds incredible on Chord stuff (above Mojo) imo. And you get the portability.
It's technically better than the Schiit setup, a bit more pricey like $450 on ebay, but its an amazing portable source for stellia.

I used to own the Mojo, and sold it after a few months. thanks for the recommendation on the Hugo! i'll read up on it a bit.

Is it a linear PSU next to the Chord? Or a server/streamer?

that's actually an Intel Nuc in a hdplex fanless case.

i wouldn't write off the Dave as a dac, but i'm guessing there may be something up with the headphone out. I have tried Dave/mDave/WA33 previously, and it was good. i think a few folks here are running that setup. ultimately, i still prefer r2r dacs.

anyways, to get back to the Stellia; it definitely plays well with the big boys. i tried it with my primaluna pre and power amp combo at home and had a fantastic time. super dynamic, textured, and surprisingly good stage width! was worried the Stellia would be too sensitive for the pre/power combo and was anticipating some hiss/hum in the background, but all was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back