Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3,856 of 4,499
I'm now considering the TT2, I know I've only just bought the Mojo 2 but I'm impressed with the Chord sound. I also have a Focal Arche which I'm not over the moon about sound wise. Do you think the TT2 is that much better than say the Mojo? I know there is a price difference but that's what happens with Hifi.
I guess I could sell the Focal Arche and the two Mojo's.
I don’t have experience with the TT2 but the original TT is incredible with the Stellia, giving a detailed, clean and clear sound that opens up a window into the music. The TT and Stella bring out the best in one another, challenging each other to go to ever greater heights.

The original Mojo punched well above its weight too, so much so that at the time of its release it was being used as a DAC in two-channel systems by some audiophiles! I hear great things about the Mojo 2, so why not listen to the Stella with that in your chain for a little while and see what, if anything, you feel is missing with the sound?

In the meantime, see if any dealers will loan you a demo TT2 for a few days and compare the two side by side. I have demoed a few pieces of kit this way and it has only cost me courier fees - unless I bought the item itself of course!

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #3,857 of 4,499
I'm now considering the TT2, I know I've only just bought the Mojo 2 but I'm impressed with the Chord sound. I also have a Focal Arche which I'm not over the moon about sound wise. Do you think the TT2 is that much better than say the Mojo? I know there is a price difference but that's what happens with Hifi.
I guess I could sell the Focal Arche and the two Mojo's.
I have yet to try the Mojo 2, but I have the Mojo and the Hugo 2. There is a gulf in quality between the Hugo 2 and the Mojo, and the same delta exists between the Hugo 2 and the Hugo TT 2. Moreover, the tabletop Hugo offers a lot more power than the portable Mojo and Hugo units. Thus, even if the Mojo 2 comes close to the Hugo 2 in sheer excellence, it'll still be a rung or 2 below the Hugo TT 2 in the overall scale of things, IMO.

Still, it's a substantial jump - in both price and size - between the Mojo and the Hugo TT 2. If you already have a capable amplifier, you might consider the Qutest instead? In my various auditions with the unit, it general exceeds the performance of the Hugo 2 when it's paired with a good amplifier. :)

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #3,858 of 4,499
I have yet to try the Mojo 2, but I have the Mojo and the Hugo 2. There is a gulf in quality between the Hugo 2 and the Mojo, and the same delta exists between the Hugo 2 and the Hugo TT 2. Moreover, the tabletop Hugo offers a lot more power than the portable Mojo and Hugo units. Thus, even if the Mojo 2 comes close to the Hugo 2 in sheer excellence, it'll still be a rung or 2 below the Hugo TT 2 in the overall scale of things, IMO.

Still, it's a substantial jump - in both price and size - between the Mojo and the Hugo TT 2. If you already have a capable amplifier, you might consider the Qutest instead? In my various auditions with the unit, it general exceeds the performance of the Hugo 2 when it's paired with a good amplifier. :)
I've owned the Mojo, Hugo 2, TT2 and I agree with how you are hearing them. Going from the Mojo to the Hugo 2 was a big jump in sound quality and performance. Going from the Hugo 2 to the TT2, lets just say my Hugo 2 rarely got any play time as the improvements were substantial. I now have the mDave and Mojo 2. All I can say is I don't miss the Hugo 2 at all and the Dave is the best DAC I've ever heard.

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,859 of 4,499
I've owned the Mojo, Hugo 2, TT2 and I agree with how you are hearing them. Going from the Mojo to the Hugo 2 was a big jump in sound quality and performance. Going from the Hugo 2 to the TT2, lets just say my Hugo 2 rarely got any play time as the improvements were substantial. I now have the mDave and Mojo 2. All I can say is I don't miss the Hugo 2 at all and the Dave is the best DAC I've ever heard.
As much as I can appreciate the Dave I'm not sure that for just headphone use I would really want to spend that much. My hifi system consists of a Bow Technologies ZZ8 and a ZZ1 with some monster JBL's and I'm more than happy with that sound so this is strictly for headphone use only.
I've just done a software update with the Arche and I'm falling back in love with it.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #3,860 of 4,499
My (2nd hand) Stellia, sounds amazing. The only issue is cosmetic.
20220302_184214.jpg
It is the coloration of the leather head band. It turns darker due to accumulated hair oil.
Is there a solution to color the entire head band uniformly (even eith this dark color), without damaging the leather?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,861 of 4,499
As much as I can appreciate the Dave I'm not sure that for just headphone use I would really want to spend that much. My hifi system consists of a Bow Technologies ZZ8 and a ZZ1 with some monster JBL's and I'm more than happy with that sound so this is strictly for headphone use only.
I've just done a software update with the Arche and I'm falling back in love with it.
The DAVE is definitely overkill for headphone listening. I bought it because at some point I’ll get a 2-channel setup and have it pull double duty.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #3,862 of 4,499
Is there a solution to color the entire head band uniformly (even eith this dark color), without damaging the leather?

Use the Search > This thread only. There are several helpful posts in this regard.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,863 of 4,499
Thanks. Did that (to an extend) , but could not find something assuring. I do not want to experiment with such pricy headphones. Asking for a solution from someone with an experience on just that.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #3,864 of 4,499
Thanks. Did that (to an extend) , but could not find something assuring. I do not want to experiment with such pricy headphones. Asking for a solution from someone with an experience on just that.
Looks like you missed my post…

“…In my case, I’ve used Colourlock Aniline Leather Cream (did it by the book, so three applications since the leather is new), with great results. This way I don’t need to worry about an uneven patina developing on the headband, as this often happens….”

I apply the cream to the top/sides of the head band every three months (one time only after the initial three applications mentioned above). Takes me five minutes, tops. No discoloration whatsoever.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,865 of 4,499
Maybe I misunderstood you. All I ask for is a recommrndation for a sbstance that will enable me to apply uniformly tha same dark color (as it is now) all over the outer surface of the head band, while still providing future care/defense for the leatger.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,866 of 4,499
Maybe I misunderstood you. All I ask for is a recommrndation for a sbstance that will enable me to apply tha same dark color all over the outer surface of the head band, while still prividing future care/defense for the leatger.
No- I misunderstood you- my apologies!

The only recommendation I’ve seen for *darkening* the leather is to rub the headband against your face after listening (thus regularly applying small amounts of skin oil evenly across the surface).

That did not at all appeal to me; I went for the leather preservation route instead.

You could do some Internet searching on coloration of aniline leathers, but there is the risk of this backfiring/having unintended results.

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #3,867 of 4,499
Thanks. Me too, did not like the skin rubbing. If only I would have purchased a "clean" set, than I would have looked for a preservation solution as you did. Neverthlrss, I truely enjoy my Stellia. It is easy to enjoy it, while the "ugly" stains are above my head and out of sight :)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #3,868 of 4,499
... The only issue is cosmetic. ... Is there a solution to color the entire head band uniformly (even eith this dark color), without damaging the leather? ...
I don't know what happened to the headband. That is such a weird coloring. I find the the hair oil situation questionable. Hair dye, more likely.

As for your question, you're going to need to find a leathering dye. You'll need a leather conditioner and cleaner. Probably before and after applying it. I can't recommend anything specific. I'm sure an internet search could find something. You may want to considered a professional do it such a someone who makes house saddles, boots, or firearm hulsters.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,870 of 4,499
I was wondering if anyone has used the Stellia's with FiiO K9 Pro--AKM or ESS version. Wanted to find out people's impressions with the pairing. Also curious if you ran them balanced or unbalanced. I pondering getting a desktop dac/amp I currently have the FiiO BTR5, which I am enjoying. I waiting on some balanced 2.5mm Meze Silver plated cables to run with it. I'm thinking it will have some s sound differences; maybe better clarity. I expect more volume.

The K9 Pro from the reviews I've seen/read have been very positive. Although there is a bit limited on the number of reviews compared to the K5 Pro. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back