Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 5, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #781 of 4,495
hugo2 is head and shoulders over the ifi and any other dac 2 maybe even 3k. The only way to improve on it is bypass it’s amp stage (which is great but a bit on the dry side) and stick a new school tune amp inbetween it and the focals. My preference is for Feliks audio but auris ha 2se is right up there too. The woo is nice but you’re compromising on the dac front. If it’s one box then hugo2
Had the H2 and ended up selling it - very clinical. Preferred the DAC implementation in my SP1000cu.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #782 of 4,495

Since English is not my native language I might have offended someone without my knowledge or intention, for which I am truly sorry but I need to get this out my system nonetheless. Let's not rewrite history now, shall we?

- baby wipes are known to be used to keep leather in pristine condition, if that offends you: please use a mild leather conditioner.
- the knitted cover has been mentioned before; without offence, to protect the original colour of the headband from human grease
- a repaint of this statement can be frowned upon, although I have to agree that is a matter of taste and should not be ridiculed with, for which I apologise.
If I have offended you by any means, I really want to apologise.
i don't know how anyone could have found your post offensive and i see no need for you to apologise for it :relaxed:

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #783 of 4,495
Agree. I was not offended either. If you look back in this thread, I contacted Focal on this issue, and they recommended the baby wipes too. Although I must say that it doesn’t prevent the discoloring. But they are at least clean:ksc75smile: And as they do sound terrific, they will be keepers. Cheers!

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #784 of 4,495
Had the H2 and ended up selling it - very clinical. Preferred the DAC implementation in my SP1000cu.

Interesting, because having spent quite a lot of time with both (cu version of sp1000). I’d agree the amp stage on the h2 is on the dry-side but it has much better control and weight than the spcu, to my ears at least. The h2 amp is consistent signature-wise with other chord amplification, powerful, controlled, uncoloured and transparent.

Obvs sound from h2 is dependent to a degree on the source and if you don’t like the amp stage, then for me the dac chip and it’s implementation are worth the asking price along. I can’t think of any area where the very capable spcu can get close to the h2 apart from one box convenience. That said the spcu as a source with its noise-free battery psu makes for a highend source which sounds stunning with the h2 and even better if you add the euphoria on to the front.
Only downside here is it’s not roon ready, something I’d love to see in a future model and which get me back in love with daps :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #785 of 4,495
Interesting, because having spent quite a lot of time with both (cu version of sp1000). I’d agree the amp stage on the h2 is on the dry-side but it has much better control and weight than the spcu, to my ears at least. The h2 amp is consistent signature-wise with other chord amplification, powerful, controlled, uncoloured and transparent.

Obvs sound from h2 is dependent to a degree on the source and if you don’t like the amp stage, then for me the dac chip and it’s implementation are worth the asking price along. I can’t think of any area where the very capable spcu can get close to the h2 apart from one box convenience. That said the spcu as a source with its noise-free battery psu makes for a highend source which sounds stunning with the h2 and even better if you add the euphoria on to the front.
Only downside here is it’s not roon ready, something I’d love to see in a future model and which get me back in love with daps :)
Perhaps I didn't spend enough time with the H2. In any case, I'm looking at the Stellias as a closed-back option. Also looking at Sony's new high end iem, IER-ZR1.

Jul 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #786 of 4,495
I was never a big believer in burn-in. I don't know if it's real or if my ears are just becoming acclimated to the Stellia, but these things just keep sounding better.

I wish I had something to compare them to. LOL. The only other headphones I have are Sony WH-1000MX3s and some UE IERMs. They sound so much better than both. Like for hours per day.

Anyone know of a place in LA where I can Demo other high-end headphones?

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #787 of 4,495
Try www.thesourceav.com, they're in Torrance.

Let me know how it goes as I'm thinking of going there myself.

CJ

Jul 8, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #788 of 4,495
I was never a big believer in burn-in. I don't know if it's real or if my ears are just becoming acclimated to the Stellia, but these things just keep sounding better.

I wish I had something to compare them to. LOL. The only other headphones I have are Sony WH-1000MX3s and some UE IERMs. They sound so much better than both. Like for hours per day.

Anyone know of a place in LA where I can Demo other high-end headphones?
happiness is fleeting

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #790 of 4,495
Folk have been talking about cables recently. I came across one for the Utopia. It might suit the Stellia. I read it very closely and quite a few times, and found it very good reading.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/moon-audio-black-dragon-premium-v2-headphone-cable/

It's for the Utopia, so they may have or be developing a Stellia cable. However this cable could go fine with the Stellia. I have mentioned it to a couple of folk. However no matter how I express it, they take the offensive. They think it means I think the Utopia is bright, or that he cable would alter the natural crisp treble.

Although the review says the Moon Utopia cable alters the treble qualities. It says it does it without removing any detail. Then in conclusion it says the cable refines the Utopia to the next level. (Meaning, in my interpretation, it makes the Utopia actually more accurate, or right.) Therefor it could work with the Stellia.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #791 of 4,495
Folk have been talking about cables recently. I came across one for the Utopia. It might suit the Stellia. I read it very closely and quite a few times, and found it very good reading.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/moon-audio-black-dragon-premium-v2-headphone-cable/

It's for the Utopia, so they may have or be developing a Stellia cable. However this cable could go fine with the Stellia. I have mentioned it to a couple of folk. However no matter how I express it, they take the offensive. They think it means I think the Utopia is bright, or that he cable would alter the natural crisp treble.

Although the review says the Moon Utopia cable alters the treble qualities. It says it does it without removing any detail. Then in conclusion it says the cable refines the Utopia to the next level. (Meaning, in my interpretation, it makes the Utopia actually more accurate, or right.) Therefor it could work with the Stellia.

It’s a personal taste thing. UP-OCC copper in my experience of using with with both utopia and Stellia, gives a full, very dynamic but well controlled sound with really good extension at both ends. Surprising amounts of snap at the top end for copper. The UP-OCC silver however is my favourite with the Stellia. Unlike normal silver its never bright or thin, with same levels of dynamism, but a more open airier presentation improving separation in across the range, but what I like most is the extra depth it brings which in turn adds to the layering and separation. One thing to bare in mind is that not all occ wire is born equal. I’ve heard lots of examples made by different manufacturers and neotech made cable out performs everything I’ve heard so far in both copper and silver. I haven’t heard the dragon cable but it seems like good value and even more so second ad there’s always few knocking about in headfi’s classified pages :)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #792 of 4,495
It’s a personal taste thing. UP-OCC copper in my experience of using with with both utopia and Stellia, gives a full, very dynamic but well controlled sound with really good extension at both ends. Surprising amounts of snap at the top end for copper. The UP-OCC silver however is my favourite with the Stellia. Unlike normal silver its never bright or thin, with same levels of dynamism, but a more open airier presentation improving separation in across the range, but what I like most is the extra depth it brings which in turn adds to the layering and separation. One thing to bare in mind is that not all occ wire is born equal. I’ve heard lots of examples made by different manufacturers and neotech made cable out performs everything I’ve heard so far in both copper and silver. I haven’t heard the dragon cable but it seems like good value and even more so second ad there’s always few knocking about in headfi’s classified pages :)
The problem is that most of the guys that do silver are not doing it right. Pure silver has to be done in thick layers in as high an AWG as one can afford and can handle. This not only keeps detail but as you go larger adds warmth. The smaller 4 wire pure silver cables many make just doesn't do silver justice. I haven't heard any Neotech yet but I am sure it's the same principal. Copper is the same principal also large diameter except the best copper just doesn't have the best detail compared to the best pure silver i have heard.

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #793 of 4,495
The problem is that most of the guys that do silver are not doing it right. Pure silver has to be done in thick layers in as high an AWG as one can afford and can handle. This not only keeps detail but as you go larger adds warmth. The smaller 4 wire pure silver cables many make just doesn't do silver justice. I haven't heard any Neotech yet but I am sure it's the same principal. Copper is the same principal also large diameter except the best copper just doesn't have the best detail compared to the best pure silver i have heard.

much better explanation than mine !:) And ive also found the mono crystal wire sounds even fuller. I've been experimenting building cables with Neotech's range of UPOCC wires and the 24AWG UPOCC high purity silver multi-strand 24AWG is my most recent build. And i've been blown away by the performance. While its not cheap £30 per metre and £300+ for a finished 4 core cable, it easily out performs the 2 shop bought silver cables i've owned which cost 3 or 4 times the amount. I was expecting to have to run some copper through it to give it the low end kick and body in the mids, but its all there plus some without it. Neotech supply cable to many of the very high end hifi manufacturers who use it as hook-up wire and it doesnt seem to be used much by cable makers either pro's or DIY enthusiasts and having heard it, i dont know why. I've had a couple of my audiophile friends listen to it without giving away material and both thought it was copper... anyway apologies to regular thread readers i know i've banged on about here repeatedly, but it's just been one of those rare hifi discoveries which is brilliant and a bargain, which i'd love you all to able to hear for yourselves.:)

The wire in question: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/neotech-stdst-occ-silver-wire.html

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #795 of 4,495
I may be picking up some Stellias to augment my IEMs Noble Kaiser X10 and Massdrop+. I also have some pre-fazor Audeze LCD-2. I plan on driving them with the THX AAA 789 or my Chord Mojo. I was wondering if people are running any EQ at all on these. If so, what are your recommendations. Looking forward to ownership if things work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back