Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #751 of 4,489
F06724B9-1BA4-4C2A-A545-C8AFA5617A3D.jpeg

Certainly helps with the long lonely nights in the office.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #752 of 4,489
So I have about 4 hours on the Stellia and I'm really enjoying them. I don't have enough experience with other high-end headphones to compare, but they aren't lacking anything to my ears. I might prefer a slightly more forward headphone, but that's just me. I love my B&W Nautalis 800 sound signature at home and its just what I'm used to.
focal's headphones are known for having a forward presentation, so it's interesting that you find the stellia slightly wanting in that regard

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #753 of 4,489
focal's headphones are known for having a forward presentation so its interesting that you find the stellia slightly wanting in that regard

I don't have any kind of trained ear nor much to compare them to other than my home system. The Nautalis 800 has a very detailed and bright tweeter without sounding harsh, one of the things I love about them.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #755 of 4,489
I don't have any kind of trained ear nor much to compare them to other than my home system. The Nautalis 800 has a very detailed and bright tweeter without sounding harsh, one of the things I love about them.
i'm not surprised that treble sounds more prominent or extended from your loudspeakers than your headphone - it does from mine as well

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #757 of 4,489
So serious question. What's up with the rtings review of the Stellia? Seems bizarre that they prefer a $127 headphone to these. LOL

I think you’ve probably answered your own question there :wink:

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #760 of 4,489
Are people finding them warm in the upper bass (as the graph would appear to indicate) or does it come across more as a warm music coloration that benefits the music?

I have owned the Elear, Clear and Elegia and it could be said that they are a bit cold and clinical when compared to the sounds of voices and instruments that are live.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #761 of 4,489
Are people finding them warm in the upper bass (as the graph would appear to indicate) or does it come across more as a warm music coloration that benefits the music?

I have owned the Elear, Clear and Elegia and it could be said that they are a bit cold and clinical when compared to the sounds of voices and instruments that are live.

I own the Stellia, the Clear and the Elegia.

Yes, the Stellia have pretty good presence in the bass department (the Clear and the Elegia's bass is maybe a bit quicker, but not as textured as the Stellia). The vocals are sounding more natural and less dry with the Stellia than the other two. They sound smoother AND they provide by far the better detail retreival of all of those three (probably the Beryllium magic power!). They don't have the Elegia's "metallic timbre" which tends to be a bit fatiguing with bright tracks/genres. I may prefer the Clear's more linear/flat tuning, especially for jazz, but the Stellia's warmer tuning is a real beast for most genres (like rock and more contemporary genres).

All in all, the Stellia sounds more musical and provides more details than the Clear and the Elegia. They're not as neutral than the Elegia and the Clear (so not the best for monitoring), but they're so much enjoyable! It could be my only pair of headphones (and be pretty happy with it)...

Hope this could help you.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #762 of 4,489
I own the Stellia, the Clear and the Elegia.

Yes, the Stellia have pretty good presence in the bass department (the Clear and the Elegia's bass is maybe a bit quicker, but not as textured as the Stellia). The vocals are sounding more natural and less dry with the Stellia than the other two. They sound smoother AND they provide by far the better detail retreival of all of those three (probably the Beryllium magic power!). They don't have the Elegia's "metallic timbre" which tends to be a bit fatiguing with bright tracks/genres. I may prefer the Clear's more linear/flat tuning, especially for jazz, but the Stellia's warmer tuning is a real beast for most genres (like rock and more contemporary genres).

All in all, the Stellia sounds more musical and provides more details than the Clear and the Elegia. They're not as neutral than the Elegia and the Clear (so not the best for monitoring), but they're so much enjoyable! It could be my only pair of headphones (and be pretty happy with it)...

Hope this could help you.
That was exactly what I was looking for. A wonderful summation. Thank you :slight_smile:

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #764 of 4,489
I'm thinking of buying these cables. I'm just afraid they will be as stiff as the stock cable.
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/ultimate-silver-focal-elear-upgrade-cable/

If you're looking for an extremely flexible cable, I'd suggest Headphonelounge. Ted is great to work with and has a very quick turnaround time. I needed a longer (and far less stiff) cable for my Utopia, and have to say that the quality of the build and cost of the cable was very good. Skip the sleeve if you want to minimize weight and maximize flexibility.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #765 of 4,489
I'm thinking of buying these cables. I'm just afraid they will be as stiff as the stock cable.
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/ultimate-silver-focal-elear-upgrade-cable/
This is my answer:
I replaced the stock cable with an 8 core neotech beast crafted by Arctic Cables. They are much better in handling and have way less microphonics. I'm using neotech upocc cables on my headphones that allow it, if not for sound quality then for handling and low microphonics. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back