1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Feb 12, 2019.
First

Back
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last
  1. abirdie4me
  2. QueueCumber
    Dunno. You might want to go down to the "Compare With Similar Items" section on the Amazon page and pick one of the other ones with better ratings.

3. arielext
    FYI: don't try those magnetic snap-on mics. Stellia's metal is non magnetic.

4. BassicScience
    If I understand what you're saying here, I'm not sure I agree. At the recent CanJam, I listened to the entire range of Focal headphones. The Stellia sounded closest to the Utopia (by a wide margin over anything else) to my ears, and I attribute that to the beryllium drivers. That said, I'd never mistake the two. There is just not enough real estate in a headphone cup to fully ameliorate the sonic downsides of a closed back vs. open.

up late and bidn like this.
  5. JohnYang1997
    But why has utopia to be the reference? Because it's not. Stellia is really great. But utopia sounds tight and forced. Stellia is way more natural. If you take stellia as reference i would say clear/elex is closer than utopia. Also keep in mind, this is still focal. There is more than just the driver material to be the same/similar. If you may try Be driver headphones from a different brand that would be more valid comparison.

6. BassicScience
    Well, in my world Utopia IS "the reference", but that's beside the point. You stated that changing solely the material of the driver "won't make as big a difference as you expect". Given that logic, the Stellia would sound closer to the Elegia than it does to the Utopia. But it doesn't (IMNSHO).

7. JohnYang1997
    Stellia and elegia is different not because of the driver material. Everything is different. Tuning, earpad, back of the driver. Mainly difference is the tuning. For instance, elear and elex. The difference is just the earpad. And closed back also adding in the housing to the tuning. It's way more than the driver material.

8. BassicScience
    Absolutely agreed that "it's way more than the driver material". But the beryllium drivers developed by Focal have redefined what's possible in a headphone, and it's not an incremental improvement (again, IMNSHO). It sounds like you may not agree with that assessment, which is fine, but it means it'd be senseless to continue this discussion as our sonic perceptions are too far apart.

9. JohnYang1997
    It doesn't. The strength of this series is achieved by the driver structure, allowing very high Xmax and linearity. Is there really that big of different between elex and utopia? Not really. And utopia has more severe issue than what it brings. The design isn't perfect either. All models in this series have issues around 4-6khz. Even the stellia, which is best in that regard. It's objective and reality. Also I'm not saying that Be is bad. Just it doesn't do that much. Surely it changes the stiffness, damping etc. But all that can be altered in different ways. If you like utopia, that's fine. But objectively it's far from perfect. And the "detail" in the high frequency range is not really there just the peaks and ugliness of the driver in reality.

Back to original point. Elex = elear changing pad. Elex has less difference to stellia than utopia does. It's clear enough that the driver is only a part of the equation.

10. up late
    in your opinion of course. i feel compelled to remind folks of that when i read posts like these.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    BassicScience and bidn like this.
  11. joesuburb
    I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my Stellias today. I'm getting nothing done. LOL. God I hope I love them and these are the last headphones I buy for a decade.

12. noplsestar
    Relax, you will love them :)

adcustom likes this.
  13. adcustom
    Yep, wholeheartedly agree. The Stellia has consistently been well praised and loved by all my customers. And I sure love my pair!

14. joesuburb
    UPS needs to deliver these things already so I can ditch work early and try them out.

adcustom likes this.
  15. joesuburb
    So I have about 4 hours on the Stellia and I'm really enjoying them. I don't have enough experience with other high-end headphones to compare, but they aren't lacking anything to my ears. I might prefer a slightly more forward headphone, but that's just me. I love my B&W Nautalis 800 sound signature at home and its just what I'm used to.

First

Back
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last