Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #241 of 4,854
@FocalOfficial Any plans to sell the official cables (and pads) as accessories at some point? I'd love an Elegia/Clear cable for my Elear...

Hi waveSounds,

No, this is not planned for the moment.
However, Elegia cable and cables will be available as spare parts for After-Sales Service.

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #242 of 4,854
They are not as good as say the LCD-XC at isolation. At moderate volume (maybe 10:00 on the dial), my GF says she can hear them from around 6-10 feet. Anything past that and they are silent.

Ok, thanks! Then it's probably a no go for me, as I need them to not disturb people located with me in a same bedroom. T5p is already on an edge of tolerable here and I need to use lower volume than I'd like to pretty often...

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #243 of 4,854
Ok, thanks! Then it's probably a no go for me, as I need them to not disturb people located with me in a same bedroom. T5p is already on an edge of tolerable here and I need to use lower volume than I'd like to pretty often...
With a budget of $900 have you thought of getting some TOTL IEMs?

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #244 of 4,854

then i suppose IEMs is the way to go for you, all headphones leak at some degree with the Nuraphone as an exeption, but it has some iem DNA in it.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #247 of 4,854
I cannot tollerate IEMs in my ears for longer than 15 minutes after years of using them. Only when they are loose and do not seal -> no bass...

interesting as I am the opposite. If I wear full size headphones I cannot have them on for too long as I will get a headache.

Having said that, I am trying to move from IEM to closed fullsize for my office rig. I am expecting to receive my Elegia today. Will try to post my view on them but this is my first full size headphone in 15+ years so don't expect much useful comments.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #248 of 4,854
interesting as I am the opposite. If I wear full size headphones I cannot have them on for too long as I will get a headache.

Having said that, I am trying to move from IEM to closed fullsize for my office rig. I am expecting to receive my Elegia today. Will try to post my view on them but this is my first full size headphone in 15+ years so don't expect much useful comments.

cool ! wish i could send you some champagne to celebrate it !

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #250 of 4,854
I was able to get a pair to test, and that was one of the first things I checked, and the AFC does a better job at isolation; inner and outer environment.

My impression of the Elegia is mixed, it does have the Focal sound signature, but IMHO it felt like it had the same issues switching from say LCD-X to LCD-XC. The mid frequency band felt a little shouty on some tracks like the LCD-XC's. I mostly did A/B testing with the Elegia and AFC over the Elegia and Elear and found myself still preferring the AFC. If they would have used leather or synthetic leather, I could see better isolation and possibly bass, but then you alter other frequencies. The soundstage was average at best, but it does have much depth for a closed headphone, and proper instrument placement for not having an HD800s soundstage. To my ears, I felt these were more mid-centric than the Elear's but not as polite as the AFC, but it does have more bass than the AFC.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was the Elegia not suffering from the driver bottoming out and making that rattle sound with sub frequencies. For example, I use a track by The Brothers Johnson from their Light Up The Night Album, track: Stomp! (DSD album). Moreover, every Elear I've owned can't handle this track from 2:40-3:10 without rattling (bottoming out the driver), and that's at volumes less than 50%; It can't handle P.R.A.T. volume levels. The Elegia was able to handle this without any issues so the redesigned driver must have been a focal point as it doesn't bottom out. I do have an EQ setting for my Elear''s in Roon but test with no EQ for both AFC and Elegia and I still preferred the AFC due to it having a more neutral non-shouty midrange band. If you're into the Elegia sound, then the AFC IMHO would sound too neutral polite.

On an aside, the color choice seems like they ran out of dark fabric as the 2 tone gray is atrocious, the lighter gray works for the Clear but no in the Elegia. I did swap the pads for the Elear, but I can't say I noticed that much of a difference. I did borrow MDR-Z1R from a friend for a few weeks, and from my memory, it's defiantly a much different sound signature, and I personally loved them, but the cost of them has been the reason I haven't bought them. Lastly, I think if the cost is the same I'd prefer the Beyer T5p2 if I wanted a closed-back dynamic or even the AQ NightOwl.

Set up: Roon w/ DSD library and Tidal HiFi, Chord Hugo 2, Mojo, and WA7/WA7tp 2nd Gen. I tried all different combinations, and it didn't change my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

Interesting. I found that the Elegia easily defeated the AFC.

The AFC has a weak bass, no dynamics and an annoying peak in the treble somewhere. The Elegia adresses these issues.

(Yeah i know the foam removes the peak, but then my ears touches the foams inside the AFC which is not good)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #251 of 4,854
Interesting. I found that the Elegia easily defeated the AFC.

The AFC has a weak bass, no dynamics and an annoying peak in the treble somewhere. The Elegia adresses these issues.
Good to know. Thanks.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #252 of 4,854
This evening I returned to ye olde local shoppe and gave the Elegias a second listen-to, connected to a Woo WA8 portable tube amp. I really wanted this combo to work out, but wanted to post for the record that... it does not.

Classic symptoms of an impedance mismatch, basically. Bass was bloomy, soft, and loose. The increase in quantity was totally welcome for giving the headphones a warmer tonality, but of course the trade-off in quality was a no-go.

It's a shame too because the WA8 did wonders for the Elegia's soundstage. That part was really quite lovely.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #254 of 4,854
The cable thing again!!!!! Focal, are you listening?

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #255 of 4,854
The cable thing again!!!!! Focal, are you listening?

haha yes, the cable again. Yesterday evening i wanted to have a listening session with the Elegia and my Fostex HP-V1 (Hybrid portable tube amp) so i used the original cable as i needed a 3,5 jack.. After a few minutes i had to unplug it and replace it with another cable as this beast of a cable seems to have a life of its own.... it was so stiff that moving my head slightly would cause movement along the whole cable and the Fostex amp nearly fell twice from my desk (yes the cable is stiff enough to be able to lift the amp..). This cable is a murderer !!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back