Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #256 of 4,854
Off-topic, sorry, but how do you like the HP-V1? Also, is it a good combo with Focal?

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #257 of 4,854
Off-topic, sorry, but how do you like the HP-V1? Also, is it a good combo with Focal?

I love this amp, i don't consider it as portable (too bulky and heavy) but i use it as my desktop headphone amp..It worked very well with the Elegia, as it's not really a pure tube amp but a solid state/tube hybrid it won't colour the sound but brings a slight touch of warmth (without messing up with the bass speed and thightness), and a beautiful large soundstage. The Elegia was a delight to listen to with this amp. I also tried the Focal with a RHA L1 dac/amp and the result was very dynamic, sharp but a bit dry for my taste.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #258 of 4,854
Yeah, that! I was using it directly out of my DAP. I turned around in my chair and whipped it off my desk. I made a shoestring catch that would have impressed Rey Ordonez (yeah, I'm an old Mets fan)

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #259 of 4,854
Just received mine last night. No impression yet as I am still burning it in.

But yes, the cable is a nightmare. Too stiff and short and being flat-ish is prone to kinking.

Focal didn't make this as an arbitrary decision though, so we can only infer what they are thinking with this short cable. The Elegia use case isn't for someone lounging in their recliner in the middle of the night at home, they have the Utopia/Clear/Ecetera for that. Elegia is designed for portable use with a phone/DAP and or office use where a 4 feet cable is more suitable than the 10 feet one that they provide with other models.

Having said that, yes, it is a bit too stiff. can use something more flexible and round instead of flat.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #260 of 4,854
for the time being, until the Arctic Cables replacement arrives, I'm using a spare set of cables from my Meze 99's. It's still a bit short, but I can turn my head without tossing my DAP off the table.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #261 of 4,854
I am using my Clear with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. Love it. Sturdy, but still flexible and adds a bit more sparkle to the sound.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #263 of 4,854
Oct 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #264 of 4,854
Here is a short comparison between the Elegia and LCD-2C (closed-back) by MajorHiFi: http://majorhifi.com/audeze-lcd2c-vs-focal-elegia-review/

Weird comparison, with a botched conclusion. They start comparing both on every aspect, give an advantage to the Elegia on most points, then they go into sound, say it's a matter of personnal preferences, and concludes that the LCD2C is better. I don't get it.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #265 of 4,854
Weird comparison, with a botched conclusion. They start comparing both on every aspect, give an advantage to the Elegia on most points, then they go into sound, say it's a matter of personnal preferences, and concludes that the LCD2C is better. I don't get it.
The take away point for me is that they are different headphones and depending on the type of music you listen to one or the other may be better for you. For my listening tastes - mostly jazz and classical - the Elegia would be the better choice.

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #266 of 4,854

Surely not the two closest models to compare in terms of sound signature...

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #267 of 4,854
Based on the last few days worth of comments, it seems like the LCD2-CB cable would be preferable to the Elegia. I have the LCD2CB and can attest that it is a nice cable.

Full disclosure- I also have the Focal Clear and don’t mind any of the 3 cables provided with that - Although I only use it at home and mostly with a heavy amp. Much better than the Elear 30 foot python of a cable.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #269 of 4,854
Spent about 20 mins listening to the Elegia at a local Hifi convention.

I had too little time with them to give my full impressions, but initial thoughts are...

These have slightly more bass & sub-bass than the clears, they also have harsher highs in my opinion compared to the clears. I enjoyed the Clears so much, I fell in love with them instantly.

I would rate Clears > Elegia > Elears.

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #270 of 4,854
I just had a chance to listen to these, also at a local audio convention. For some background, I own Clears, and have heard Elears and Utopias on a couple different occasions. I was quite impressed with the sound attenuation, they blocked a lot more of the surrounding noise pollution than I thought they would. And so, considering the excellent isolation, I was very impressed by the sound! I would say that the Elegias are closest to the Clear in terms of tuning - they're more thin and neutral than the other Focal 'phones. Much less bassy than the Elear (and the Clear, though that's closer), and less tipped towards bright than the Utopia. But to me the Elegias had a nice open clear sound, especially for a closed headphone. Mind you, the conditions for listening were terrible, but these were definitely the surprise of the (unfortunately headphone light) show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back