Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #226 of 4,840
The first time i listened to them was also with my own WM1A, and i wasn’t so impressed. With a balanced cable on the balanced output of the WM1A it was another story, much, much better.

The mids lost their tendency to being shouty after 20h of burn in here.

Thank you for your impressions ! :)

Oh that's really good for me to know, thanks!

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #227 of 4,840
I hope so.

For me, a warm headphone have a noticeable bass emphasis, lush mids and rolled-off treble.

I wish that the Elegia will rather have good speedy bass (close to neutral), clear and quite upfront mids and non-sibilant (but not too much rolled-off) treble…
Sounds like you want the...Elex :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #229 of 4,840
I usually prefer when the highs extend far (without going sibilant though, but I'm among those who can deal with the HD800 or Sonorous VI treble) and at first I found the Elegia's high too rolled off for my taste but now I think it's one of the best highs I've heard in a closed set, it extends much more than I initially thought. Same with bass, it has such a wonderful impact and renders bass in such a clean and accurate way. The mids are so amazing that it's easy to focus on them and not notice the beautiful bass and highs at first.
Have you heard the Shure SRH1540 and if so, can you compare the Elegia's highs to theirs? I find the Shure has a rolled off treble that gives them a smooth, inviting sound that is never sibilant, but you lose some detail and crispness up there as a result.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #230 of 4,840
I just stole an extra hour during my lunch break to try out the Elegia at the local shop, driven by a Sony WM1A DAP (using the single-ended output). I liked them quite a bit actually, and my TL/DR is that they're probably worth $900 if they fit your use case and prefs.

Random impressions:

- Isolation is okay but just okay.
I see you've owned the Aeon Flow Closed before. How does the Elegia's isolation compare to them?

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #231 of 4,840
Have you heard the Shure SRH1540 and if so, can you compare the Elegia's highs to theirs? I find the Shure has a rolled off treble that gives them a smooth, inviting sound that is never sibilant, but you lose some detail and crispness up there as a result.

yes i heard them on several occasions but never liked them, because of this sweet treble which make them sound too smooth for my taste. The Elegia’s treble reminds me of the Andromeda’s treble, sweet with detail, even if it’s not so relevant to compare iems with full size cans.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #234 of 4,840
Just ordered mine. Can't wait to listen to it...:L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #235 of 4,840
I believe the AFC was notably more isolating, yea.
I was able to get a pair to test, and that was one of the first things I checked, and the AFC does a better job at isolation; inner and outer environment.

My impression of the Elegia is mixed, it does have the Focal sound signature, but IMHO it felt like it had the same issues switching from say LCD-X to LCD-XC. The mid frequency band felt a little shouty on some tracks like the LCD-XC's. I mostly did A/B testing with the Elegia and AFC over the Elegia and Elear and found myself still preferring the AFC. If they would have used leather or synthetic leather, I could see better isolation and possibly bass, but then you alter other frequencies. The soundstage was average at best, but it does have much depth for a closed headphone, and proper instrument placement for not having an HD800s soundstage. To my ears, I felt these were more mid-centric than the Elear's but not as polite as the AFC, but it does have more bass than the AFC.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was the Elegia not suffering from the driver bottoming out and making that rattle sound with sub frequencies. For example, I use a track by The Brothers Johnson from their Light Up The Night Album, track: Stomp! (DSD album). Moreover, every Elear I've owned can't handle this track from 2:40-3:10 without rattling (bottoming out the driver), and that's at volumes less than 50%; It can't handle P.R.A.T. volume levels. The Elegia was able to handle this without any issues so the redesigned driver must have been a focal point as it doesn't bottom out. I do have an EQ setting for my Elear''s in Roon but test with no EQ for both AFC and Elegia and I still preferred the AFC due to it having a more neutral non-shouty midrange band. If you're into the Elegia sound, then the AFC IMHO would sound too neutral polite.

On an aside, the color choice seems like they ran out of dark fabric as the 2 tone gray is atrocious, the lighter gray works for the Clear but no in the Elegia. I did swap the pads for the Elear, but I can't say I noticed that much of a difference. I did borrow MDR-Z1R from a friend for a few weeks, and from my memory, it's defiantly a much different sound signature, and I personally loved them, but the cost of them has been the reason I haven't bought them. Lastly, I think if the cost is the same I'd prefer the Beyer T5p2 if I wanted a closed-back dynamic or even the AQ NightOwl.

Set up: Roon w/ DSD library and Tidal HiFi, Chord Hugo 2, Mojo, and WA7/WA7tp 2nd Gen. I tried all different combinations, and it didn't change my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #237 of 4,840
You could always drive down to NYC - looks like less than two hours based on your location.
About an hour 20 mins on a good day.

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #239 of 4,840
Do they provide more or less isolation when compared to T5p.2? Most important for me is, whether they leak more or less sound to outside, means whether or not they will bother my wife or sleeping children nearby.

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #240 of 4,840
They are not as good as say the LCD-XC at isolation. At moderate volume (maybe 10:00 on the dial), my GF says she can hear them from around 6-10 feet. Anything past that and they are silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back