Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Apr 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,486 of 4,879
Thanks for the info. I use a CEntrance DACMini, it's somewhat bright but not terrible, but leaves me with no EQ options listening to Tidal. Some songs so far the Elegia's have a perfect balance with great detail, but on other songs, I do sometimes find it a bit light in bass. I will have to give the sheepskin's a try and see what they do for me. I would have no issue swapping pads depending on what I'm in the mood to listen to.
You could give them a go. I can see why for some the warmer tonality can be a negative. But I find having two different sounds as a plus. At first I will confess, it was a bit of a shock how much warmer the Elegia sounded but after a few more hours of listening I fell in love with how the low end sounded. Mids did take a step back, but they are not recessed. At first I felt clarity took a hit. In a way it did, but overall musicality and enjoyment improved. I listen to alot of acoustic and string instruments and I found overall the sheepskin earpads sounded best to me. The reverb and texture just felt more realistic to me but other people might prefer the more forward mid presentation overall. I can say rap and EDM do sound better with the Sheepskin earpads for sure

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,487 of 4,879
I rec the sheepskin if you find the stock tuning too mid forward and bass light. But for some it may become to warm especially if you use a warm sounding source. But I enjoy both earpads as they both have different sounds. Stock is very clear, analytical, precise and detailed while the Elite Sheepskin give a warmer more relaxed tonality with great low end, warmer and thicker mids and thicker yet energetic treble. Acoustic sounds amazing with the sheepskin earpads. Anyone that has both earpads. Listen to guitar work, you'll hear what I mean. Johnny Cash Hurt sounds awesome where the stock earpads lack that low end grunt for guitar strings. If you have a slightlt more anlytical/brighter dac, the sheepskin earpads are a great pairing.
Also if you find the low end to be too much. EQ the sub, mid and high bass down by 1.5 - 2.5 db. It'll have the same quantity as stock but overall the feel will be more natural and help mids shine a bit more :)
JoePR31 do you have any more impressions or they ultimately were no match for you? :)

I’m afraid they’re just not gonna work for me. To my ears, they make the Elegia sound a lot more closed in. They go from very open sounding, to almost claustrophobic. Staging and imaging both take a hit. To me, these are some of the stock Elegia’s best traits, and I’m not willing to sacrifice them. Not even for that perfect bass that the Dekoni sheepskin do provide.

Apr 11, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,488 of 4,879
I’m not happy. Just over a month in, and the worthless stock cable seems to have already called it quits. Last night, out of the blue, sound from the left ear cup started cutting in and out. I isolated the issue to the left portion of the cable after the Y split. To make sure that the cable is the issue, I plugged the left 3.5mm plug into the right ear cup, and viceversa. Sure enough, the sound in the right ear cup started cutting out.

I’ve babied these headphones, including the cable, so this is very disappointing. I’ve already emailed Taron at headphones.com, whom I bought my Elegia from. Since mine are already broken in, I’m hoping that we can resolve my issue without having to resort to sending the entire headphone back to them. It’s a shame, since outside of the cable, I’ve been very happy with them.

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #1,489 of 4,879
I’m not happy. Just over a month in, and the worthless stock cable seems to have already called it quits. Last night, out of the blue, sound from the left ear cup started cutting in and out. I isolated the issue to the left portion of the cable after the Y split. To make sure that the cable is the issue, I plugged the left 3.5mm plug into the right ear cup, and viceversa. Sure enough, the sound in the right ear cup started cutting out.

I’ve babied these headphones, including the cable, so this is very disappointing. I’ve already emailed Taron at headphones.com, whom I bought my Elegia from. Since mine are already broken in, I’m hoping that we can resolve my issue without having to resort to sending the entire headphone back to them. It’s a shame, since outside of the cable, I’ve been very happy with them.
How long have you had the headphones mate?

Apr 11, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,490 of 4,879
How long have you had the headphones mate?

Just over a month...got them on February the 28th. I’m waiting on headphones.com to respond to the email I sent them last night.

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,492 of 4,879
I had my Elegia’s a week and had cables issues exactly as described above. Richer Sounds replaced the cable and two weeks later I had that cable go faulty.

RS spares sent me a replacement but it turned out to be some cheap rubber cable. Was on the verge of getting my 4th cable from the store when the lockdown came into effect.

Fortunately I had already ordered a Forza Audio Works cable which arrived recently and is a very good upgrade on the stock cables.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,493 of 4,879
I had my Elegia’s a week and had cables issues exactly as described above. Richer Sounds replaced the cable and two weeks later I had that cable go faulty.

RS spares sent me a replacement but it turned out to be some cheap rubber cable. Was on the verge of getting my 4th cable from the store when the lockdown came into effect.

Fortunately I had already ordered a Forza Audio Works cable which arrived recently and is a very good upgrade on the stock cables.

This is ridiculous. I don’t understand how Focal can pay so much attention to detail when it comes to the design and build of their excellent headphones, yet burden practically all of them with trash cables. @FocalOfficial , this isn’t a good look for you guys.

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,494 of 4,879
What's everyone using for cables? Silver, copper, hybrid? I have a DHC molecule copper cable I could have re-terminated from my hd700s, or thinking about a Forza or Headphone lounge cable, both of which I have for other headphones and have been pleased with.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,495 of 4,879
What's everyone using for cables? Silver, copper, hybrid? I have a DHC molecule copper cable I could have re-terminated from my hd700s, or thinking about a Forza or Headphone lounge cable, both of which I have for other headphones and have been pleased with.

I have been using a pure silver cable with dual Nobunaga Lab connectors and terminated with a Eidolic 2.5mm jack (I posted a picture of it in previous threads). My Elegia sounds fantastic with it.

For future Elegia buyers, don't bother with the stock cable. When I set my eyes on it, I knew I had to factor in the costs of cable customizations anyway. Sad, but probably tolerable if you are able to acquire a pair at cheaper than MSRP.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,496 of 4,879
I had a custom Grave Digger cable from Corpse Cable made for $180 that is very good with the Elegia. It uses Cardas Audio cable construction.

Apr 16, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,497 of 4,879
This is ridiculous. I don’t understand how Focal can pay so much attention to detail when it comes to the design and build of their excellent headphones, yet burden practically all of them with trash cables. @FocalOfficial , this isn’t a good look for you guys.
Sorry to hear, thats definitely concerning. Along with apparent driver issues for the Focal Elex as well. Not sure what’s going on over there...and I’m glad I didn’t buy a pair when it was on sale without warranty.

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #1,498 of 4,879
So after more listening with Dekoni Sheepskin I can give a better conclusion of what the differences in sound I hear are. Firstly the low end. Much fuller, greater extension, tighter and can punch hard and rumble. The mids become warmer and slightly less in your face. Clarity is still superb but if you like the stock mid range this might be a hit for you, but if you listen to a lot of acoustic and guitars and kick drums, the mid range is superb. Texture is improved while detail maybe is a touch less. But dynamics is insanely good now, you really feel the music now. Treble smoothens, yet it still has heaps of energy, it's on the warmer side but it's not a bad thing. I actually really enjoy it, I have had 6 hours listening sessions and sometimes I'd have a massive smile on my face due to Elegia sounding so relaxed, yet fun, energetic, clear and emotional at the same time. Soundstage becomes a bit smaller but imaging feels the same, but the small sounstage makes things feel slightly more precise and quicker. Maybe more intense? I really love fast music with the Dekoni sheepskin earpads, especially if the low end is kicking, the dynamics and texture tickle your ears. Now stock earpads has an overall, brighter, clearer more detailed sound. The low end takes the back seat and becomes more tamed. I personally prefer the low end much more with Dekoni sheepskin. But the mid range with stock earpads is so full with detail and clarity, it is addictive. Treble has a bit more sparkle and soundstage is a bit more bigger. Which earpads do I ultimately prefer? Now that is a tough one. I have found myself using the leather earpads more but when I go back to stock, it's a breathe of fresh air and amazing clarity and detail. But when I go back to the Dekoni sheepskin, that bass, dynamics, texture is just so so so addictive. So I honestly call it a tie. They both offer amazing strengths that overall I am happy to keep both. If I want to focus on the music, hear detail, feel the clarity and just sit back and listen. Stock earpads is my choice. But if I want to feel the music and have fun, the Dekoni sheepskin are my pick. You get two different sounds with such an easy swap. Some may prefer stock, some may prefer the Dekoni sheepskin. I love both :D.
The Dekoni Sheepskin also block out sound much more and leaks less.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #1,499 of 4,879

Since my stock cable crapped itself last week, I resorted to ordering something on Amazon to get a fast replacement. What I ended up with is so much better than I expected it to be. I bought the Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable (3.5mm), and it is the most flexible and least microphonic cable that I’ve ever put my hands on. It’s also very good looking and very well made. I’ve noticed some subtle improvements in sound as well, when compared to the stock cable. I’ll post a mini review sometime in the next few days.

Edit: First link was broken for some reason. The following works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0822TWH29/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,500 of 4,879
Since my stock cable crapped itself last week, I resorted to ordering something on Amazon to get a fast replacement. What I ended up with is so much better than I expected it to be. I bought the Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable (3.5mm), and it is the most flexible and least microphonic cable that I’ve ever put my hands on. It’s also very good looking and very well made. I’ve noticed some subtle improvements in sound as well, when compared to the stock cable. I’ll post a mini review sometime in the next few days.

Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable (3.5 mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0822TWH29/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WFOMEbBHSP7QH

Do you notice any difference in the sound signature? This Meze cable is dual 3.5mm mono, while the Elegia is dual stereo. I also asked about this before in the Beyer thread (Beyer headphones are also similar to Focal) and somebody warned me against getting this cable, which was designed for the Meze 99 series, to be used on dual-3.5 stereo connector cans. Admittedly I am not exactly sure what the downsides could be on the technical side of thing, but some folks reported changes in frequency responses, etc. Just double check to make sure that the cable doesn't ruin the driver in long-term use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back