Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,456 of 4,854
Thanks for the input guys. Elegia appears to have great technical capabilities, with some controversial qualities to some people and dependent on the listener.

There is a local headphone store within our city that I'd like to give the Elegia's a try, but given the recent events of Covid-19... they're closed so no demo time. It sucks cause this is the time I'd need a closed-back home headphone use with more people staying indoors and things getting loud around the house so open back headphones aren't the best option.

I hear ya...everything about COVID-19 sucks. If your finances allow it right now, based on what you’ve said about your preferences, I definitely think it would be worth your while to buy the Elegia online so you don’t have to wait till local shops reopen.

As long as you buy it from an authorized dealer with a good return policy, then worst case scenario is that you end up returning it and your money is tied up for about a week while you wait for the refund. Best case scenario is you get it now while you need it most, and end up liking it just as much as most of us do.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,457 of 4,854
Quick question, has anyone tried or use the dekoni sheepskin earpads on the Elegia? The non fenestrated. And how do they pair with the Elegia, I have heard some people like them and it's a good replacement instead of buying the stock original pads which cost much more.

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,458 of 4,854
I just got a chance to try the earpads, my friend has them for his Clears. I can confirm, they sound great and the Elegia is a good match. The sheepskin earpads give the Elegia a touch more low end while taming the treble slight.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,459 of 4,854
I just got a chance to try the earpads, he has them for his Clears. I can confirm, they sound great and the Elegia is a good match. The sheepskin earpads give the Elegia a touch more low end while taming the treble slight.

Interesting...I’ve been wondering about these exact pads myself. I tried the Dekoni Elite Velour, and they weren’t bad, but I found them less comfortable than stock, and they also took a bit off the bass, and seemed to make the soundstage slightly narrower. That’s not gonna work for me, so I’ll be returning them back to Amazon. I do agree that the stock pads are too expensive, so I might try the non fenestrated sheepskin pads.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,460 of 4,854
Interesting...I’ve been wondering about these exact pads myself. I tried the Dekoni Elite Velour, and they weren’t bad, but I found them less comfortable than stock, and they also took a bit off the bass, and seemed to make the soundstage slightly narrower. That’s not gonna work for me, so I’ll be returning them back to Amazon. I do agree that the stock pads are too expensive, so I might try the non fenestrated sheepskin pads.
Give them a go. I only had a brief 30 minute test though and did like how they felt, ( I prefer leather earpads). To me I felt the low end became fuller and gained some needed impact. Treble felt slighly more tamed but not in a bad way, more relaxing yet energetic. Mids felt a bit warmer yet upfront as well. It was a nice change for sure :) The soundstage though I am not certain. It felt the same but it was only a 30 minute listen so I couldnt really tell.

Update:
Definitely warmed up the Elegia. Warmer low end with more mid bass. Mids become more relaxed and warmer. Treble keeps its energy. Sound much more similar to the ZMF Eikon.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,461 of 4,854
Just ordered some Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads :D. Should have them on Monday. Further listening impressions have proved me they are an awesome fit for the Elegia. Bass was fuller while still being fast and clean, I also felt more texture. Mids are upfront but now with warmth and meat. Treble tames down but still has energy. Overall tonality is slightly more warm and fuller. Comfort for me is also better.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,462 of 4,854
So another quick update. I have been using my friends Elite Sheepskin earpads untill I recieve my own pair. They feel slightly firmer than stock earpads, but his earpads are new as well so breaking them in might soften up the foam but to me, they feel more comfortable than stock earpads. Isolation is much better and leakage is also less. Low end gets a very nice increase without sacrificing speed and tightness. It actually feels more textured which is very nice but for some, maybe low end might be a bit to much.... But a drop of 1db or 2db can fix that. But I much prefer the low end now, it rumbles, hits hard and the extension. Very very good extension. Mids are still nice and forward, maybe not as much as stock, but they retain detail, maybe I hear more detail somehow but I am not certain. Treble seems slightly smoother and warmer but still great energy up top. I do feel soundstage take a slight hit, but it's small decrease and you don't reaply notice it. What really impresses me is the overall dynamics and texture. Guitars sound amazing now and listening to fast music actually feels intense, kick drums, oh my, it's addictive. I think I much prefer the Elite sheepskin over stock. But it's a very nice replacement overall.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,463 of 4,854
I think I’ve been convinced. I’m might try to try and snag myself a pair of Elegia for a good price if I can (even if slightly used). It seems like a solid performer and it looks excellent. I just still don’t know if I’ll like it’s tuning, but I guess it’s worth a try if I can get it close to half its MSRP.

I really do enjoy my DT 177X Go, I just know I can probably do better. I just worry I’m moving too fast lol.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,464 of 4,854
Help! I have enough $ to get either Elear or Elegia but have nevr heard a Focal product. I’m gonna go with Headphones.com for the return policy and the bundle they offer for Elears (case, Clear Earpads).
I’m a older guy, retired drummer, 62 disabled and this clearly is my chance to get some Focal’s and the the new ibasso DX160. I’lll have roughly $800 for a headphone purchase. I own maybe 100 IEM’s so thats covered...lol.
I like neutralish sound with slightly elevated low end (kick drum is first thing I tune into) highs are ok I’m not sensitive to them but musicality is another huge Preference.
I’m thinking from reading get Elear and extra Pad deal.
Any thoughts from you folks would be super helpful!
Ed

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,465 of 4,854
Besides the obvious closed vs open, Elear has a bit more mid bass but less sub bass IMO. Elegia has significantly more mids than Elear (which some consider to have a dip in high mids). Elear warmer and more relaxed, Elegia more forward in your face sound. Both are very dynamics with similar soundstage I find.
Elegia's bass is not elevated, considered by some as lacking (I think it's perfect), very controlled and can hit very low and hard when called for.
But if you like "slightly elevated low end", these might not be for you. All depends on what definition you give to "slightly"

This is based on my own comparison between the 2, having owned Elegia only for 4 days, Elear 6 month.
I definitely prefer the clarity and bass accuracy of Elegia now, but my preference has been slowly shifting from basshead to realistic, tight and controlled bass.
Don't get me wrong, Elear is nowhere near a basshead headphone either. We are talking relatively minute differences, except for mids IMO.
I love the sound of drums on both, tons in particular sound great, thanks to the driver speed. Of note, Elegia driver doesn't bottom out on extremely loud sub bass as Elear can sometimes (think Bladerunner 2049 intro played LOUD)
Hope this helps some

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,466 of 4,854
I can chime in. I have heard the Elear and felt it was lacking clarity and mids sounded off. The Elegia has much more clarity, forward mids and better treble. The low end has more sub but mid bass is less. I use eq to fix that on the Elegia and I can say, being a former basshead. The Elegia has one of the best low end I have heard in a closed back. With EQ, it punches, hits hard and still is very tight and clean while being crystal clear with forward mids. That's with slight EQ and stock earpads. I recently switched to Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Earpads. Made a nice difference to the tuning of the Elegia. Low end has increased, sub bass and mid bass is more present, has very fast attack and punch and rumbles just addictively. Texture has also improved. Mids are still forward but have more warmth and thickness, Agnes Obel sounds amazing, her voice is filled with emotion, sometimes I left feeling a bit.... funny..... if you know what I mean. The treble tames down a bit, but still energetic and have a touch more thickness and warmth. The Elegia for me is the best closed back I have heard to date, I own many iems such as Andros, Moondrop S8, Audiosense T800, Tin Hifi P1 and heaps more. I havent used any of the iems since I got the Elegia, the clarity, speed and yet warmth with energy has just taken me. I love them. I highly suggest if you want more low end, try a bit of EQ. I add 1db - 1.5 db at 31 and 62. And 2db - 2.5db at 125 and 250. 1db at 2k, 1.5db at 4k and 0.5db at 8k. But with the Elite Sheepskin earpads, 1db at 31, 62, 125 and 250. And the same db as mentioned above at the other freqs. Hopes this helps :) The Elegia are really amazing for what they can do. If any further questions, we are glad to help out

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,467 of 4,854
Looks like we have a similar analysis. Also worth mentioning, to me the closed back nature of Elegia doesn't entail any sacrifice in soundstage, I almost feel it is in fact overall better, with better imaging maybe due to more forward upper mids / better treble. For instance on Yello's "the expert", the rebounding guitar reverb can be heard more clearly and is spatially more defined.
When switching between the two, it is clear to me I'm going to sell the Elear and won't be losing much or anything.
Only use case where Elear might have the edge is when you want to have music playing without really actively listening, there it is more relaxed (could also say hollow), and the Elegia presentation is more involving but also a bit more aggressive.
However these are somewhat subtle differences, they still are definitely in the same family of sound.
BTW Hardstyleloco96, because of you now I want Dekoni sheepskin...

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,469 of 4,854
Looks like we have a similar analysis. Also worth mentioning, to me the closed back nature of Elegia doesn't entail any sacrifice in soundstage, I almost feel it is in fact overall better, with better imaging maybe due to more forward upper mids / better treble. For instance on Yello's "the expert", the rebounding guitar reverb can be heard more clearly and is spatially more defined.
When switching between the two, it is clear to me I'm going to sell the Elear and won't be losing much or anything.
Only use case where Elear might have the edge is when you want to have music playing without really actively listening, there it is more relaxed (could also say hollow), and the Elegia presentation is more involving but also a bit more aggressive.
However these are somewhat subtle differences, they still are definitely in the same family of sound.
BTW Hardstyleloco96, because of you now I want Dekoni sheepskin...
Firstly try some EQ. But if you want overall a bit more warmth and meat on the low end. Give it a try :wink: Overall it gives a slightly fuller more engaging sound. Low end though, it can hit hard.

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,470 of 4,854
Anyone here can compare the Elegia with a Denon AH-D7200 (or 5200)?
Would you rate it a level higher or does the Denon outperform it in certain areas? I am deciding which one I will try next.
It has been a while since I've heard the AH-D7200. To my ears, the AH-D7200 has slightly thinner yet less forward mids, a touch more low end and treble to me feels a bit more warmer. Soundstage for me goes to the Elegia and detail also goes to the Elegia. It has been a while since I have heard them, but I chose the Elegia over them if that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back