Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,516 of 4,891
Hi guys! Any recommendation to drive the Elegia? Also, cable recommendation?
Perhaps, with a chord mojo...?
How does it pair with a chord mojo?
I own a mojo and I am thinking about buying the elegia
I can say the Elegia is driven very easily, but a good dac/amp will obviously be the way to go. Chord Mojo, very nice pairing. The warmth of the Mojo will help add a touch of thickness to the sound. If you have EQ, try adding 1db at 31 and 62 and 1.5 db at 125 and 250. You should be set. And I rec the E1DA 9038s. Extremely portable, heaps of power. Extremely good measurements. Amazingly good dac. And the price is seriously hard to beat. I honestly can't think of anything else. I used to use my Woo Audio WA7 fireflies dac/amp. But ever since getting the E1DA 9038s. I just use the WA7 every now and then. It's still a better dac/amp. But truthfully, not by much. The 9038s has insane performance for the price in such a small package. I also rec a Fiio Q5S or you could try the E1DA powerdac V2. But my pick out if all those is the E1DA 9038s. And for a cable rec, try Dyson Audio. They arent crazy expensive but amazing quality. If you want something a bit more higher end, you can give Forza audio works or Cardas cables a go. But I say go for Dyson Audio. Very very nice cables :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,517 of 4,891
Perhaps, with a chord mojo...?
How does it pair with a chord mojo?
I own a mojo and I am thinking about buying the elegia

I’ve used the Mojo to drive my Elegia 95% of the time, and it’s a very good pairing. They compliment each other nicely. Like HardstyleLoco96 said, the Mojo adds a bit of warmth to the very neutral Elegia. The Mojo is not the last word on detail retrieval or soundstage width, but it does have good depth, very good imaging, and very realistic timbre.

I just ordered the DROP+THX AAA 789 amp, and I’m sure that will end up stealing a lot of my attention away from the Mojo. That being said, the Mojo is more than good enough to make a very enjoyable and very competent match with the Elegia. So, don’t feel like you need to go out and spend more money to be able to enjoy the Elegia.

Oh, and if you want the best closed back headphone that you can buy for less than $1,300, by all means, do buy the Elegia. It’s pretty easy to find for under $700 now, and in that price range, no other closed headphone can touch it, and only a few open back come close.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #1,518 of 4,891
Just bought an used Elegia a few days ago and currently testing/comparing them.
My first impression is that without EQ I don´t really like their sound signature - the mids are too forward and I think this makes the highs sound a bit muffled. I then tried some EQ with Equalizer APO and used the one from this video as a starting point:

Getting there! With this EQ I really like the sound.
I also tried ToneBoosters Morphit correction and liking it with about 65% correction.
Looking forward to more listening with them :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,519 of 4,891
I thought the mids were a bit forward also at first but I guess my brain has adjusted or the HP have settled somewhat (don't really think so), and now ther sound right, and make for a pretty forward presentation. My Elear sound very lacking in comparison now

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #1,521 of 4,891
I feel like my elegia drove just fine with the smsl m3. Idk if I ever tried out of m11 or 05+ I cannot get past the reverb in closed backs. I would really like to try the elex some day even though I am selling a utopia right now. maybe its just the volume I drive these headphones at? sometimes I just want to feel immersed and it almost always displays some defects out of the headphones I momentarily own.

May 1, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #1,522 of 4,891
Couldn´t resist and bought some (shortly used) Stellia pads for my Elegia.
Anyone using this combination? Liking the pads so far and my ears hear about the same difference these measurements suggest: https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822/24
A bit more punch in the bass and crisper treble is my initial impression. But the overal signature is not changed that much.

May 4, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #1,523 of 4,891
Anyone else has problems with the comfort of the Elegia when listening longer? I have a pretty big head and must say that it hurts a bit after some longer listening, maybe the clamping pressure is too high for me...any advice/similar experience?

May 5, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,525 of 4,891
I am a very satiesfied user of these fantastic headphones. As many others - the left speaker started to make noise. The cable was broken after 1 year and 2 months. No problem - my provider in Oslo - Oslo HiFi Center - gave me New cable on the warranty. The New cable is much better than the stiff "zebra cable". The New one is brown and very flexible. Sounds great and are much easier to handle. Any other with this type of cable? Would like an 3-4 meter of the same cable With 6.3mm plug.

May 5, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,526 of 4,891
Why not ask your dealer which cable this is and if he also has a longer version of it?

I have ordered a set of Dekoni Nuggets to maybe improve the comfort for longer listening sessions. Weird that I am the only one experiencing this comfort problem.

May 5, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #1,527 of 4,891
Why not ask your dealer which cable this is and if he also has a longer version of it?

I have ordered a set of Dekoni Nuggets to maybe improve the comfort for longer listening sessions. Weird that I am the only one experiencing this comfort problem.
I have asked :) Waiting for the answer.

May 6, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,529 of 4,891
So, I’m new to all of this. It may even be a waste of time and money, given my working past (helicopters), but I need to start with a one arrow solution, and I keep circling back to the Focal Elegia or one of the Audeze LCD-2 models. I would love to have a variety of high-end headphones, but it just will not happen now. I have a set of B&W PX7’s that are not cutting it, and a pair of HE-400i’s coming tomorrow because they were cheap, but I want something nice because my wife and I are home a lot. Is this a good set to start with, knowing it may be a year or more before I move on to something else?

May 7, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,530 of 4,891
Just got my Forza Claire Hybrid cable in...so much better than the stock thing they included with them.

Attachments

• 11230453.jpg
    11230453.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back