Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 16, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #1,547 of 4,880
Just got my cable replaced. Thanks for the tips guys.

May 16, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #1,548 of 4,880
I am also waiting for mine...
Hope to hear difference from my bowers & wilkins P7. Will be pairing it with a chord mojo dac :)

You will like them. Not quite as much bass as the p7, but extension and quality are better. Everything else is an improvement too.

How does that mojo do with the p7?

May 16, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,549 of 4,880
You will like them. Not quite as much bass as the p7, but extension and quality are better. Everything else is an improvement too.

How does that mojo do with the p7?
The mojo improves the p7 performance in every aspect: instruments separation and space between them, bigger soundstage, much more defined and controlled bass, improved mids and treble!

May 16, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,551 of 4,880
Where can I find a balanced cable for Focal Elegia headphones?
You can buy the official Focal Clear cable (in theory, Elegia is the closed Clear). Or, get any of those cable manufactures to build one for you. A couple pages back the guys suggested Cardas Parsec, Meze 99 cables (easy to find and buy and it has balanced) and another hand made company. Have a look.

May 17, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #1,553 of 4,880
Have to say I'm really liking my Elegia so far. Only listened to a couple of albums but nice balanced sound. Very comfortable.

May 18, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,555 of 4,880
Just got my elegia's and played music for a couple of hours and did some light gaming too. Will mostly be listening to music and i am interested in the sound. These may be a great addition and i believe the will go well with my dt1990.

May 19, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,556 of 4,880
So do I. Will soon compare them to my MSR7 which I'm using for three years now, hence the question above. I expect to be naturally biased towards MSR7, unless Focal will blow me away. I'd be rather trying to justify the investment than protect it, thus I was hoping that if there is somebody here in the opposite position to mine, he or she could share their counterbalancing thoughts.
Oh man, you are in for a massive surprise :wink:. Not trying to hype you, but I used to own V Modas M100 and Audio Technica MSR7 a few years back. Yeah the Elegia are a massive upgrade. And I mean MASSIVE upgrade :D. Low end is much faster, tighter and digs deeper. But with Eq it will also hit harder. Mids are more forward, much more clear and detailed. Small details are forward and easy to pick out with great instrument separation and imaging. Treble is smoother and of much better quality, better extension and detail. Bigger soundstage and depth. Dynamics are much faster. Someone also mentioned about the Bowers & Wilkins P7. The Elegia will basically have everything mentioned above over the P7 as well. Just to give you an idea, the Bowers & Wilkins P9 doesnt even come close to the Elegia. It will be a massive upgrade for the both of you :D. If you have a great dac as well, you are set. The Chord Mojo will be a great pairing as the warmth will help add some thickness to the Elegia and also give the Elegia better imaging and separation with instruments. If you have EQ, add 1.5 to 2db around 125 and 250 to help the mid bass dip be fixed. It helps add warmth and meat to the mid bass and lower mids :)

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,557 of 4,880
Which one might be the best bet? Elegia or Stella or HD820S? Elegia is fine, if the Stella isn't giving at least 20% improvement for the its price. Not sure if Senn HD820S is just as good as HD800S despite higher price.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #1,558 of 4,880
Hi. Need advice. I own Clear Professional for sound mixing. Like them. Need a closed-back headphones with similar or slightly different house sound for both mixing and daily DAP music. Which one might be the best bet? Elegia or Stella or HD820S? I like to pick Elegia if the Stella isn't giving at least 20% improvement for the its price. Not sure if Senn HD820S is just as good as HD800S despite higher price.

The Elegia was designed by Focal to be a closed back Clear. It’s not quite as good as the Clear because its impossible to completely overcome all of the disadvantages of a closed back design, but it is VERY close. The Clear sounds a bit thicker because it has more of a mid bass emphasis than the Elegia. The Elegias treble is a bit smoother. They’re both extremely dynamic, like all $700 plus Focal headphones are, but the Clear is a tiny bit more dynamic, and a bit more detailed.

All that to say that no closed back headphone is going to sound more like that Clear than the Elegia. The Stellia is “better” than the Elegia, but I dont think many people would say that its 20% better. It also has a different tuning and doesn’t sound much like the Clear. The HD820 is overpriced, even by audiophile standards, and sounds less like the Clear than the other two.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #1,559 of 4,880
Where can I find a balanced cable for Focal Elegia headphones?

I went with the one listed below, and I highly recommend it. To my ears, it sounds a bit better than the stock cable, has ZERO microphonics, is extremely flexible, and has the nicest build quality of any cable Ive ever used. I bought the regular 3.5mm stereo cable and liked it so much that I bought the 4.4mm balanced version a week later. They also sell a 2.5mm balanced version.

Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable

88FD5151-2CD1-44F7-B828-067039241B03.jpeg
FF3F37D1-6E50-4CBF-B19D-4F37ABFF7827.jpeg
F0512A13-87C9-430B-9707-C2A28987664C.jpeg
DB01D136-9D9C-426E-8A10-E26BEF713588.jpeg

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #1,560 of 4,880
The Elegia was designed by Focal to be a closed back Clear. It’s not quite as good as the Clear because its impossible to completely overcome all of the disadvantages of a closed back design, but it is VERY close. The Clear sounds a bit thicker because it has more of a mid bass emphasis than the Elegia. The Elegias treble is a bit smoother. They’re both extremely dynamic, like all $700 plus Focal headphones are, but the Clear is a tiny bit more dynamic, and a bit more detailed.

All that to say that no closed back headphone is going to sound more like that Clear than the Elegia. The Stellia is “better” than the Elegia, but I dont think many people would say that its 20% better. It also has a different tuning and doesn’t sound much like the Clear. The HD820 is overpriced, even by audiophile standards, and sounds less like the Clear than the other two.
I went with the one listed below, and I highly recommend it. To my ears, it sounds a bit better than the stock cable, has ZERO microphonics, is extremely flexible, and has the nicest build quality of any cable Ive ever used. I bought the regular 3.5mm stereo cable and liked it so much that I bought the 4.4mm balanced version a week later. They also sell a 2.5mm balanced version.

Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable

I 1000% agree here. The Stelia are overall a more technical headphone but defs not 20% better. And I actually prefer the tonality of the Elegia more as I found the Stelia to sound slightly to warm and sometimes a bit to laid back with some genres for my liking while the Elegia is pure intensity and excitement. The HD 820 is also a more technical headphone but wayyyyy to over priced and the tonality is seriously wonky...

Now I'll say something about that cable you have shown. WOW 😍, I should have gone for that instead of the cable I am waiting for :/. I am still waiting for my Cardas Parsec cable for the Elegia, it's been nearly a month now :frowning2: . Once I get it, I'll do further listening with my E1DA 9038s Gen 2 on performance mode. I'll also be ordering a E1DA 9038s Gen 3 which has improved sound quality, can't wait :D.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back