Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 23, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #1,576 of 4,862
Yes, but it would have a good market, I think. You want a higher quality sound than NC700, Momentum etc. but also portability and ease of use of wireless headphones. There's nothing quite like it on the market. Ananda BT is open back (and even more weirdly, doesn't have wired connection), Amiron Wireless sits loosely and is only meant for using at home... Audeze is going to bring LCD-1 closed wireless to the market, I hope that one's going to be good. Elegia wireless with stronger low-end would fill a big gap in the HP market. If we could connect it digitally via USB-C to the computer and use its internal dac non-wired, that would also eliminate the need for an external dac.

May 23, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,578 of 4,862
I find it strange that the low end was lacking for you. For me it was perfectly fine but I did add 1 - 2db at 125 and 250 but that's no hard eq, after that the low end was perfect. If not, some of the best low end I have ever heard, the slam is BLOODY INTENSE. Even though something like the Campfire Cascade might have more low end quanity, the overall dynamic slam and extension of the Elegia was much more intense, the detail is insane and the separation between low, mid and high bass is perfect. I found source plays a roll with how the Elegia sounds and most especially output impedance. I love me some intense low ene but the Elegia for me, are right on point, never lean, just pure intense :).

How good might be Elegia as the closed-back reference after Clear Professional for sound mixing/mastering job, if not plain movie-watching?

May 23, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,579 of 4,862
So in an effort to explore other DIY options and to cut cost since I want an 8-core silver cable. I purchased the 3.5mm connectors from Nobunaga Labs and have a great local cable maker customize it for me. All for about $250 (most 8 core silver out there goes for like $400 to $500). Making my elegia perfect!

Hi. How does Elegia compare with T5p or T1, if i may ask?

May 23, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,581 of 4,862
May 23, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,583 of 4,862
May 23, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,585 of 4,862
May 23, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,586 of 4,862
Yes, but it would have a good market, I think. You want a higher quality sound than NC700, Momentum etc. but also portability and ease of use of wireless headphones. There's nothing quite like it on the market. .....

... Audeze is going to bring LCD-1 closed wireless to the market, I hope that one's going to be good. ...

Elegia wireless with stronger low-end would fill a big gap in the HP market. If we could connect it digitally via USB-C to the computer and use its internal dac non-wired, that would also eliminate the need for an external dac.

Oh absolutely. I would love to see a BT Focal headphone.

Audeze already brought LCD1 wireless to the market almost 2 years ago. LCD1 would be the open version of the Mobius. I'm almost sure of that.

USBC is certainly better than a DAC but only if the amp is perfectly tuned to the drivers.

May 23, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,587 of 4,862
ARGH! Elegia at $429 or Sony MDR-Z7M2 at $399? The sales this weekend are PAINFUL
Elegia allllll the way. If you want more low end, then the MDR-Z7M2 is your choice, but that's all it has over the Elegia. It may sound that also the soundstage is bigger but it's due to the mids being pulled back where the Elegia has the more forward, detailed and clearer mids and the actual bigget soundstage, the Elegia also has the better treble extension and quality. If you want the warmth, the Sony sounds good but if you really want the more technical, detailed clearer headphone. The Elegia all the way, and with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads, it really helps add some warmth, lushness and amazing low end to the Elegia. The Elegia is one of the best closed back I have heard. It has some of the best low end, mids and treble, it really is a full package with what it can deliver. A touch of eq easily fixes the mid bass dip, it really isn't that hard to fix. But also the Dekoni Elite earpads help warm them up and makes them sound liker a bigger version of the ZMF Eikon.
To give you an idea. The Sony MDR-7M2 are worth $400 - $500 AUD but not worth the original price which is over $1000. The Focal Elegia is a massive bargain at $429 and worth the original price of $1399 AUD. Both very different headphones, but the Elegia is the way to go.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,588 of 4,862
Hi. How does Elegia compare with T5p or T1, if i may ask?

Elegia: better mid-range and detail retrieval, a bit more intimate in sound. Bass goes deep for a headphone in its league (definitely not bass lite like most reviewers said). Leaning on the bright side, but totally manageable (I am relatively treble sensitive).

T5p: More balance in sound. Good speed and clarity. Bass is more in quantity, but not sure it's that much better than that in Elegia. Definitely more open-sounding. A very comfortable can to wear, but not as comfortable as Elegia in my opinion.

I own both and am now happy with both. But if it comes to selling, I might let the T5p go in terms of personal preference.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,589 of 4,862
Elegia: better mid-range and detail retrieval, a bit more intimate in sound. Bass goes deep for a headphone in its league (definitely not bass lite like most reviewers said). Leaning on the bright side, but totally manageable (I am relatively treble sensitive).

T5p: More balance in sound. Good speed and clarity. Bass is more in quantity, but not sure it's that much better than that in Elegia. Definitely more open-sounding. A very comfortable can to wear, but not as comfortable as Elegia in my opinion.

I own both and am now happy with both. But if it comes to selling, I might let the T5p go in terms of personal preference.

Thank you. Well put. That helps a lot.

May 24, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #1,590 of 4,862

Is this the 1st gen T5p or the 2nd gen T5p?

I presumed from the bass quantity that it was 2nd gen. The 1st gen was not that bad and I heard it - the bass was a bit underwhelming and the highs were a bit harsh but not unlistenable. The 2nd gen which I have is something of a masterpiece. I could be happy listening to nothing else but hiphop and rap on the 2nd gens they really have serious bass slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back