Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 24, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #1,591 of 4,862
I for one do not wish for an elegia with more bass. I think its perfect as is bass wise

Exactly. An Elegia with more bass wouldn’t be an Elegia. It’s about as neutral as you can get. The bass is very detailed, extremely fast, and extends well below 30Hz with no roll off. The only deviation is a small dip in the mid bass.

If a song was well mastered and has proper levels of bass in the recording, the Elegia will have plenty of bass. If a recording was poorly mastered and is bass shy, then the Elegia isn’t going to add anything that isn’t already there. It gives you most of the advantages of a very good open back headphone, with the added sound isolation benefit of a closed back headphone. Detailed, fast, neutral, balanced, dynamic, revealing...these are all adjectives that fit the Elegia. It is a very honest headphone.

If this is what you’re after, then buy the Elegia. It is an incredible bargain at current prices. If this doesn’t sound appealing, or you’re a bass head, then buy something else. Don’t buy a neutral headphone, and then complain that it sounds ”too neutral”.

May 24, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #1,592 of 4,862
Don’t buy a neutral headphone, and then complain that it sounds ”too neutral”.
I would say "too boring". Unless is for work/mixing/monitoring. i had a "neutral" one before abd was boring.

May 24, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,593 of 4,862
Is this the 1st gen T5p or the 2nd gen T5p?

I presumed from the bass quantity that it was 2nd gen. The 1st gen was not that bad and I heard it - the bass was a bit underwhelming and the highs were a bit harsh but not unlistenable. The 2nd gen which I have is something of a masterpiece. I could be happy listening to nothing else but hiphop and rap on the 2nd gens they really have serious bass slam.

Yes, 2nd gen. Using Ifi iDSD Black Label with X-bass turned on and have all the deep bass I will ever need. Same goes for Elegia.

May 25, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,594 of 4,862
I put Stellia pads on my Elegia and am really liking the increase in bass. It isn't over the top, just fuller sounding. Also enjoying through the ZDT Jr. The Stellia pads are hilariously expensive though, especially relative to the price of the Elegia but I'm very happy with my purchase.

May 25, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,595 of 4,862
Good to hear that. I woul like to try other pads, but they are freaking expensive.

May 26, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #1,596 of 4,862
Just had the chance to listen to the Elex properly. In final impressions, I prefer the Elegia much more. The Elex does have a slightly larger soundstage but I find the imaging on the Elegia to be more precise. Low end extension goes to the Elegia while I felt the Elex has more mid bass impact but the Elegia responds better to eq. The Elegia also felt faster, cleaner and tighter and more textured and detailed on the low end. The Elegia had a touch more forward mids but the Elex had slightly more warmth and thickness but I found with a bit of EQ the Elegia easily gains back more warmth and thickness while being more detailed and overall clearer and smoother sounding. The treble is where the Elex has a bit more but at times I found some area to be a bit peaky or fatiguing for me where the Elegia was overall smoother, a touch more lush and actually felt that it had better extension and detail overall. The dynamics to me felt better on the Elegia and when fast paced music was played the Elegia really gave that sense of intensity and dynamics and speed. This was all with stock earpads. Then I tried the Elegia with Dekoni Elite Sheepskins. The low increased and I didn't feel the need to touch eq for the low end. It felt tighter, more textured and detail I could really hear. Amazing low end and if I did add EQ, wow it could really slam and rumble. Mids felt pushed back a touch, more warm and thicker but in a way a bit more natural, detail was the same and clarity to me feels maybe a touch less but more musical. Hip hop, rap and EDM sound nicer with these earpads. Treble feels warmer as well, but still has the airy feel with great detail and extension. Soundstage feels a touch less but imaging is the same. The Elex compared to the Elegia with the Dekoni Sheepskin earpads feels around the same type of sound signature but with more treble, less detail and clarity but a slightly wider soundstage. What I do find strange is the depth on the Elegia feels blacker, bigger and deeper compared to the Elex. The Elegia feels bigger but a touch less wider and a touch less height but depth and blackness is amazing. For me the Elegia are my pick :). This was about 4 - 5 hours of swapping back and forth and having a few drinks. But then after being more sober I listened for another 2 hours and my conclusions are that of what I have typed above :)

May 28, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,597 of 4,862
Got in on the Adorama deal and just received them today. Marvelous headphones for $456 after tax. I was worried that the bass would seem way too light for me. It's a little bit less than I like, but the overall quality of the bass sound easily makes up for that and so sounds very good as is. I did end up adding +2db for 50hz & 80hz, and +1.5db at 125hz in Media Monkey.

So far, these are my new headphones for classic rock. I haven't been this excited about how a pair of headphones brings out the sound of a lead guitar since I owned Grados--but with better bass quality, bass extension, and comfort. Baba O'Reilly, The Zoo, Runnin' with the Devil, and Red House (version on West Coast Seattle Boy) all sound marvelous.

May 28, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,599 of 4,862
Got in on the Adorama deal and just received them today. Marvelous headphones for $456 after tax. I was worried that the bass would seem way too light for me. It's a little bit less than I like, but the overall quality of the bass sound easily makes up for that and so sounds very good as is. I did end up adding +2db for 50hz & 80hz, and +1.5db at 125hz in Media Monkey.

So far, these are my new headphones for classic rock. I haven't been this excited about how a pair of headphones brings out the sound of a lead guitar since I owned Grados--but with better bass quality, bass extension, and comfort. Baba O'Reilly, The Zoo, Runnin' with the Devil, and Red House (version on West Coast Seattle Boy) all sound marvelous.
Glad that you like them 😁. I can tell you one thing for sure. The more you listen to them, the more amazed you will become. They seriously grow on you and after a while you'll realise that you are doing longer listening sessions than normal. I add 1db at 31 and 62 and 1.5 db at 125 and 250. But the low end is so easy to EQ and everything else, I just leave it. If you ever feel the need for more robust, tighter and detailed low end while warming up the mids and treble slightly, I rec the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads :)

May 29, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,600 of 4,862
Yeah I just caught a bargain. For what it's worth I just snagged a pair. Couldn't believe how cheap they were considering they were like $1400 not so long ago.

When I use them with my FiiO Q5s amp I will report here on my findings.

I will compare them with the Clear and the T5p.2

I was using a desktop amp with who knows what output impedance but I know here at home my FiiO Q5s is like 1ohm.
Isnt the retail $899 for Elgia and $1099 for Elear. Clear is the $1,400 pair

I wonder if I should wait for the T12nd to go on sale or just cope this one and call it a day.

May 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,601 of 4,862
Anyone had heard both Elegia and T1 2nd? I feel that I would also spend a lot less on DAC and AMP with Elegia, but possibly a lot more on ear pad.

I own both and they are just entirely different headphones. T1 2nd gen needs a powerful amp to drive to begin with. As an open back, it has larger soundstage. It has a very musical and enjoyable signature with a highly controlled bass. There is a persisting problem with a hot treble peak, but only noticeable on specific genre of music like electronic (at least from my experience). In fact I like the T1.2 so much that I bought the T5p 2nd gen, which I ended up liking a little less than Elegia.

May 29, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,602 of 4,862
I own both and they are just entirely different headphones. T1 2nd gen needs a powerful amp to drive to begin with. As an open back, it has larger soundstage. It has a very musical and enjoyable signature with a highly controlled bass. There is a persisting problem with a hot treble peak, but only noticeable on specific genre of music like electronic (at least from my experience). In fact I like the T1.2 so much that I bought the T5p 2nd gen, which I ended up liking a little less than Elegia.
I agree with you on how the T1.2’s sound. I had the T5P 2nd gens and didn’t like the midrange on them. The bass and treble was okay, making the sound almost v-shaped in my opinion. I’ll have an Elegia on Monday. I can’t wait to see how they sound on some of my gear.

May 29, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,603 of 4,862
sounds like you like T1 2nd better than the elegia? Am I assessing the comment correctly? If so, will the thx 789 be enough to drive the T1 2nd

May 30, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #1,605 of 4,862
I agree with you on how the T1.2’s sound. I had the T5P 2nd gens and didn’t like the midrange on them. The bass and treble was okay, making the sound almost v-shaped in my opinion. I’ll have an Elegia on Monday. I can’t wait to see how they sound on some of my gear.

Yes, I think when it comes to mid range, T1.2 and Elegia win this game. The mid in the T1.2 is silky smooth while Elegia is defined and prominent. Different but in a good way. I think T5p is quite neutral on all count, making any ranges not so prominent, but I have to say it's still a good headphone overall. I will probably keep Elegia as I enjoy it as a closed back can more so than the T5p (mindful though that I think T5p still has a slightly wider stage than Elegia whereas Elegia is more intimate).

Between T1.2 and Elegia, I am keeping both as they serve different needs and excel at different areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back