Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,621 of 4,863
Nice pic! Would love to hear your thoughts on a pairing with the liquids.
Also: I'd give them a day or two... bass gets nice and tight after you let them play a bit. Very fast, clean and well extended -- the bass resolution is very impressive on these :).
Thanks, I have them burning in overnight. I'll give them a few days before I do some real listening with them. I don't like the stock tubes that come with the LP. I’m looking for a more detailed tube with good dynamic swing, clarity and bass punch. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,622 of 4,863
Just got these and am putting them through their paces right now. I was looking for a neutral-ish closed back with decent isolation from external noise for sub $1k, and Adorama's deal was too good to pass up. OOTB, I was greeted by Focal's metallic timbre and immediately remembered why I wasn't too enamored with loaner Elex that I evaluated several months ago. Resolve's EQ settings (pictured below) helped out a bit by making the sound a little less bright. It is more palpable to my ears right now. Let's see how it goes over the next few days.

elegia_EQ-resolve.png

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,623 of 4,863
I too bought the Adorama 429$ special and am really enjoying these phones. I have never owned a Focal product prior to this and always thought their lineup of speakers were a bit tight and technical sounding on the whole, but these Elegia's are right in the sweet spot. Firstly I would like to humbly mention that I am acoustician, who has recorded and mixed over 200 records, owned recording studios for over 20 years, owned a mastering studio for 8 years, built many many studios and theaters and currently consult in architectural acoustics which all adds up to that I know how to listen for me, but not anyone else. I also know my opinions may be just as useless as a newbie. I respect newbies as much as seasoned professionals and do not think that my experience adds any credibility whatsoever to my observations compared the some really good points made earlier in this thread.

What I like about these phones is overall design balance, all of the design tradeoffs fit well together, they are very cohesive, they do not fight themselves. That in itself is impressive. Many Elegia users favor EQ and this is a great phone to EQ because of the design balance. Adding in any frequency range does not cause chaos in other regions. That is very rare and speaks of the lack if inner fight I mentioned. I have decided for now not to EQ but if I did it would a slight bass increase, a decibel or so nothing drastic. An interesting note, I was using an Oppo HA-2 which is a nice little travel unit, in every other headphone I used with that over the years, the bass boost function threw every phone into a tizzy, but not the Elegia, I still won't use it but it was nearly acceptable. Very interesting to me. It would suggest that the phase coherence of the Elegia and the impulse responses would appear to be very good.

I like the depth and imaging, the dynamics are never a hammer; just relax and you and find yourself in the music. Other reviewers stated that these were better for acoustic music but I really didn't feel that at all, its just good all around. I had listened to the original HD 600's until they decomposed around my head, and I went back to the tracks from that time and I was shocked how many new details I heard in the tracks. How everything just seem integrated and mature. That made me think about the HD lineup evolution, they just could never deliver a single version that hit the sweet spot in depth, detail, imaging, weight and here Focal nailed it. While I fully expect that Focal will soon replace the Elegia, I would never assume that the replacement would automatically be better. Thats why at this price, this is another headphone that may yet decompose on my head.

I compared the Elegia to numerous HiFiman phones which I enjoy, starting with an old set of 400i's and going up the line. While I very much enjoy the transients of all of those phones, its only Arya and the HE1000V2 that would move me away, but I ask myself why? 429$ is a great number to pay for this much fun. Why in the world would I pay 3 X or 4 X, really get a life. I'm good here, with a closed back.

One thing thats a bit of an issue; so the Elegia is essentially a partially ported design or a pressure realease design which I think is a big part of this phones acoustical solution. Sleeping next to my wife where I do a fair amount of hardcore listening, a lot more sound escapes than I would have imagined. Since Focal designed the headphone like a small room with an energy or pressure release vent which is akin to a bass trap or air space in an acoustical room, I can feel her stir when I turn it up. Hadn't expected that.

Too bad she bought me these for my birthday.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,624 of 4,863
I too bought the Adorama 429$ special and am really enjoying these phones. I have never owned a Focal product prior to this and always thought their lineup of speakers were a bit tight and technical sounding on the whole, but these Elegia's are right in the sweet spot. Firstly I would like to humbly mention that I am acoustician, who has recorded and mixed over 200 records, owned recording studios for over 20 years, owned a mastering studio for 8 years, built many many studios and theaters and currently consult in architectural acoustics which all adds up to that I know how to listen for me, but not anyone else. I also know my opinions may be just as useless as a newbie. I respect newbies as much as seasoned professionals and do not think that my experience adds any credibility whatsoever to my observations compared the some really good points made earlier in this thread.

What I like about these phones is overall design balance, all of the design tradeoffs fit well together, they are very cohesive, they do not fight themselves. That in itself is impressive. Many Elegia users favor EQ and this is a great phone to EQ because of the design balance. Adding in any frequency range does not cause chaos in other regions. That is very rare and speaks of the lack if inner fight I mentioned. I have decided for now not to EQ but if I did it would a slight bass increase, a decibel or so nothing drastic. An interesting note, I was using an Oppo HA-2 which is a nice little travel unit, in every other headphone I used with that over the years, the bass boost function threw every phone into a tizzy, but not the Elegia, I still won't use it but it was nearly acceptable. Very interesting to me. It would suggest that the phase coherence of the Elegia and the impulse responses would appear to be very good.

I like the depth and imaging, the dynamics are never a hammer; just relax and you and find yourself in the music. Other reviewers stated that these were better for acoustic music but I really didn't feel that at all, its just good all around. I had listened to the original HD 600's until they decomposed around my head, and I went back to the tracks from that time and I was shocked how many new details I heard in the tracks. How everything just seem integrated and mature. That made me think about the HD lineup evolution, they just could never deliver a single version that hit the sweet spot in depth, detail, imaging, weight and here Focal nailed it. While I fully expect that Focal will soon replace the Elegia, I would never assume that the replacement would automatically be better. Thats why at this price, this is another headphone that may yet decompose on my head.

I compared the Elegia to numerous HiFiman phones which I enjoy, starting with an old set of 400i's and going up the line. While I very much enjoy the transients of all of those phones, its only Arya and the HE1000V2 that would move me away, but I ask myself why? 429$ is a great number to pay for this much fun. Why in the world would I pay 3 X or 4 X, really get a life. I'm good here, with a closed back.

One thing thats a bit of an issue; so the Elegia is essentially a partially ported design or a pressure realease design which I think is a big part of this phones acoustical solution. Sleeping next to my wife where I do a fair amount of hardcore listening, a lot more sound escapes than I would have imagined. Since Focal designed the headphone like a small room with an energy or pressure release vent which is akin to a bass trap or air space in an acoustical room, I can feel her stir when I turn it up. Hadn't expected that.

Too bad she bought me these for my birthday.
I too am enamored by this headphone. I belive i started this journey very well by first acquiring the dt 1990 and the Elegia soon after. Just waiting for better cables for both at the moment.
I do in fact EQ them both a little though i do enjoy listening without it .
I EQ the Elegia wery similar to recommendations derived from "The HEADPHONE Show" on YouTube.
The 1990 has it's EQ from someone on this forum but it was way to aggressive and lost all "air" and finesse in the treble so that got a makeover.
I never listen to any headphone while next to the girlfriend. She is not into any of it. Hardly tolerates it in fact. 😬

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #1,625 of 4,863
Good to see some nice experiences around. Elegia miss some love around the community, it's a great Headphone.

About the upgrade cables for 1990 and Elegia, which ones are you getting? (I do have 1990 as well)

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,626 of 4,863
Good to see some nice experiences around. Elegia miss some love around the community, it's a great Headphone.

About the upgrade cables for 1990 and Elegia, which ones are you getting? (I do have 1990 as well)
Hi there Croc. I am waiting on this cable from Toxic Cables for the dt1990 :
Viper OCC Cryo Silver/SPC Headphone Cable. And then for the Elegia :
Meze 99 Classics Series Silver Plated Upgrade Cable
And also for the elegia:
Arctic Cables Custom OFC Cable 8 wire Mogami Neglex-Quad High-Definition wire.
Now I'm no expert in headphone cables so i just want to try different stuff and see how it feels and looks and such. 😉

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,627 of 4,863
Nice!

I went for the Meze one as suggested here before, but 50$ shipping fee hurts a lot. I held back on it.

I will have a look on the other ones you mentioned. I also have one from UK on my list to check from another suggestion here. But I really need new cables for both.

Anyone uses different pads around here?

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,628 of 4,863
Nice!

I went for the Meze one as suggested here before, but 50$ shipping fee hurts a lot. I held back on it.

I will have a look on the other ones you mentioned. I also have one from UK on my list to check from another suggestion here. But I really need new cables for both.

Anyone uses different pads around here?

I use Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Pads as of recently, and they have helped "fill out" vocals and add some extension and presence on both ends. Mentioned this cable earlier, but if you--like me--cannot discern sound changes with different cables, NewFantasia cables are available on amazon for cheap and have been quite durable for me...

Jun 3, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,630 of 4,863
Still waiting for mine to be delivered. They have been here in town and on the truck for four days. Each night I expect them, and each night they don't show up.

You might want to keep your eyes out for a truck cruisin' your neighborhood with the driver rocking a nice new set of Elegia's on his head ;~)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #1,631 of 4,863
The Elegia is my third Focal headphone, and for me I suppose the third time is the charm. I got an Elear a couple years ago, couldn't take the treble wonkiness, so I sold it. Tempted to move upstream, I purchased the Clear last year. Though I loved the sound, I was one of the unfortunate many that had "clipping" or "popping" issues with the driver at higher volumes when significant bass was present. It wasn't often, but honestly the fact it even did it at all bothered me enough to get rid of it. So after reading other reports that the Elegia did not suffer the clipping problem, I jumped on the recent Adorama sale and I am happy to report that these are fantastic cans. No clipping, even at relatively insane volumes (only for testing, I never listen at those volumes). I feel, coming from the Clear, that the comparisons of these being a "closed Clear" are warranted, if not exactly correct. I won't go terribly in depth here, but I'll echo a few things I've read and agree with. These are mid-forward, need a small boost in bass eq, and have a great soundstage for a closed can. For whatever reason, these feel less creaky than my Clears did, and I like the darker earpads because the Clears were too light and likely to show dirt/wear sooner. The Clear had a bit more resolution, but I'm enjoying the extra isolation these provide since I already have plenty of open back cans. Shame on Focal for continuing with this joke of a cable. The quality of materials is not in question, but it is needlessly stiff and kinks too easily. Overall this is my favorite Focal can and I could be happy with this as my only pair....as if that would ever happen HAHAHAHA!! :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #1,632 of 4,863
For whatever reason, these feel less creaky than my Clears did, and I like the darker earpads because the Clears were too light and likely to show dirt/wear sooner. The Clear had a bit more resolution, but I'm enjoying the extra isolation these provide since I already have plenty of open back cans. Shame on Focal for continuing with this joke of a cable. The quality of materials is not in question, but it is needlessly stiff and kinks too easily. Overall this is my favorite Focal can and I could be happy with this as my only pair....as if that would ever happen HAHAHAHA!! :)
I find these to be a step up from the Elex in regards to build quality. Far less creaky, the cup's inner edges are not ginsu knife sharp as the Elex loaner pair that I tried (manufacturing defect with the latter?), and lighter to boot. For some reason, these feel far lighter on my head than the Elex I evaluated a few months ago despite their weight difference being a bit small (~20g). Probably better weight distribution with the a new Elegia pair than a loaner Elex with one of the pads already starting to compress.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,633 of 4,863
I find these to be a step up from the Elex in regards to build quality. Far less creaky, the cup's inner edges are not ginsu knife sharp as the Elex loaner pair that I tried (manufacturing defected with the latter?), and lighter to boot. For some reason, these feel far lighter on my head than the Elex I evaluated a few months ago despite their weight difference being a bit small (~20g). Probably better weight distribution with the a new Elegia pair than a loaner Elex with one of the pads already starting to compress.
I agree but also I prefer the overall tonality more on the Elegia over the Elex and I feel the Elegia has a touch more detail overall while the Elex has a slightly wider soundstage :) With Dekoni sheepskin earpads the Elegia can be an intense and fun headphone though with amazing low end while having warmer and thicker mids and smoother treble while still keeping great clarity and detail :wink: .

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,634 of 4,863
:) With Dekoni sheepskin earpads the Elegia can be an intense and fun headphone though with amazing low end while having warmer and thicker mids and smoother treble while still keeping great clarity and detail :wink: .

That's the regular sheepskin, not the fenestrated, right? I might try them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back