Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Apr 18, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,502 of 4,891
I had a custom Grave Digger cable from Corpse Cable made for $180 that is very good with the Elegia. It uses Cardas Audio cable construction.
Using same cable, with XLR termination. Also using silver plated cable, with Pentaconn termination. Satisfied with both cables. I only use the standard cable with Mojo, which is not often.

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #1,503 of 4,891
Do you notice any difference in the sound signature? This Meze cable is dual 3.5mm mono, while the Elegia is dual stereo. I also asked about this before in the Beyer thread (Beyer headphones are also similar to Focal) and somebody warned me against getting this cable, which was designed for the Meze 99 series, to be used on dual-3.5 stereo connector cans. Admittedly I am not exactly sure what the downsides could be on the technical side of thing, but some folks reported changes in frequency responses, etc. Just double check to make sure that the cable doesn't ruin the driver in long-term use.
My elegia is dual mono from stock.
Technically, I fail to see how it could change anything anyway

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,505 of 4,891
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,507 of 4,891
Do you notice any difference in the sound signature? This Meze cable is dual 3.5mm mono, while the Elegia is dual stereo. I also asked about this before in the Beyer thread (Beyer headphones are also similar to Focal) and somebody warned me against getting this cable, which was designed for the Meze 99 series, to be used on dual-3.5 stereo connector cans. Admittedly I am not exactly sure what the downsides could be on the technical side of thing, but some folks reported changes in frequency responses, etc. Just double check to make sure that the cable doesn't ruin the driver in long-term use.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. The end that gets plugged into your device/amp receives and transmits an analog stereo signal until said signal gets to the Y split of the cable and splits, with the left cable transmitting the left channel info to the left ear cup and the right cable transmitting the right channel info to the right ear cup. This works in exactly the same way as the stock cable.

P.S.
For some reason, the hyperlink in my original post was broken. I updated the post with a working link.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #1,508 of 4,891
My elegia is dual mono from stock.
Technically, I fail to see how it could change anything anyway

elegia and stellia cables are mono 3.5mm at the headphone end. You can use stereo 3.5mm connectors, but you need to bridge the connections when soldering to effectively make mono connector. Any cable you buy with stereo connectors at the headphone end is likely to be wire this way too, as you only in need a signal and return connections at the headphone on end no matter what the connector used is. My made my main cable using 3.5mm connectors in this way as there is a far greater choice of aftermarket plugs and i wanted rhodium plated.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,509 of 4,891
I checked further after posting, there is no need to bridge ring and sleeve if using a stereo connector, it seems to be bridged in the headphones (tested with a male / male stereo jack cable connected and multimeter).
I made 2 cables for mine, one is bridged and for the second one I didn't bother, just connected signal to tip and negative to sleeve, works just fine.
Sonically I'm not picky when it comes to cables, apart from balanced / SE I cannot seem to tell significant differences.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,510 of 4,891
I checked further after posting, there is no need to bridge ring and sleeve if using a stereo connector, it seems to be bridged in the headphones (tested with a male / male stereo jack cable connected and multimeter).
I made 2 cables for mine, one is bridged and for the second one I didn't bother, just connected signal to tip and negative to sleeve, works just fine.
Sonically I'm not picky when it comes to cables, apart from balanced / SE I cannot seem to tell significant differences.
That’s good to know, i hasn’t tested unabridged :). I have been a bit more thorough in testing different wire in various weights and configurations. I’ve made around 25/ 30 different recipes testing them with stellias and elegia with hugo2 and sotma 200 neo ultra streamer. My general findings are that all Ofc cables no matter the cost are much of a muchness. The most noticeable improvements come with upocc copper or silver. The copper variant is the best bang for buck, with 4x 22awg coming i at £60 and outperforming shop bought Ofc at any price not to mention the horrible focal stock cables. The upocc silver is the best wire I’ve tried. Gauge is important if you want to get all the benefits 22awg or heavier per conductor. I use a 4 x 22 core Neotech upocc silver witb both the elegia an stellia. Obvs the cable doesn’t have a sound of its own, it’s just how much more transparent it is that defines its effect. The stellia unsurprisingly benefit most with improvements in staging, separation, resolution and dynamism all with a lovely lquiditity and natural smoothness of tone. The performance improvements are along the same lines but unsurprisingly less pronounced as they’re not as resolving as the stellia. Like-wise if I switch down Dac to the df cobalt with the stellia, the improvements again become harder to discern than with H2 or Tt2. If I hadn’t already made the the upocc silver cables for the stellia I’m not sure I’d bother for the elegia. I’d recommend a 4 core Neotech upocc copper and be confident providing your partnering kit is at similar level, that you’ll hear a Noticeable improvement over the stock cable in most areas of performance :)

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,511 of 4,891
Wow now this is a very interesting post, thanks for your thorough testing and sharing!
Mmmmm, a new rabbit hole to dive into, not sure if I should thank you after all :gs1000smile:

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,512 of 4,891
My made my main cable using 3.5mm connectors in this way as there is a far greater choice of aftermarket plugs and i wanted rhodium plated.

The new cable I just bought has rhodium plated connectors. You’re well versed when it comes to cables and connectors...what’s the benefit of rhodium plated connectors vs gold plated?

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,513 of 4,891
So I went back to stock pads to listen to some heavy metal. The song is called Quintessence and the band well... you can ask me in PM as it's slightly offensive. But damn, the kick drum, dynamics, speed. I don't think I have heard a headphone or iem deliver the song this intensely which really adds to the feel of it. Then I swapped back to the Dekoni Sheepskin and it was even more intense. I was singing out loud. So anyone that says the Elegia are no fun.... Sorry but maybe it's your music? No offense, but damn. The Elegia are amazing. They can do some things that simply other headphones can't. I always thought having heaps of low end is what gave kicks and drums and guitars that raw intensity and speed. But now I have come to realise it isn't that at all. You want speed, tightness with high clarity and insane dynamics. Then kick drums feel faster and cleaner. Instead of hearing the kick, you feel it. I am seriously starting to love these more and more. Unfortunately my new Cardas Parsec cable is out of stock so I have to wait 4 - 6 weeks untill I recieve it. I have heard this cable improves soundstage and speed while keeping the sound neutral which is what I want. Obviously it won't be a massive difference, but if it can make the Elegia that touch more faster, they'll be my endgame closed back. They do so so so much amazingly well, I havent heard a closed back that impresses me this much. And I have heard many. Loving them :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back