Focal Elegia Measurements
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #92 of 121
Some quick first impressions. Unboxing was a delight. The hardshell case is worthy of a Louis Vuitton logo! The cable is too short for my purposes (under 4 feet), and very stiff. Microphonics are present, but not that bad. The cables above the split should not be fabric coated (Meze learned this and corrected it quickly).

Without going in to a lot of jargon, most of which I don't understand anyway, first couple of test drives proved very positive. My simple little XDUOO X3 powered them very well, un-amped, headphone out, and Prokofiev sounded very nice. Second test, headphone out of my FiiO X5-iii, with Thick as a Brick (had to do it, seeing Martin Barre tonite and tomorrow!!!). No surprise, comfortable listening about 40% volume. Finally (for today), line out in to a Schiit Loki > Woo Audio WA7, again with TaaB. No complaints here. Aside from the cable, which I will replace, I'm so far happy with this purchase.

Thanks for the impressions and pictures! - Would love to know what you're considering for cable replacement options

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #93 of 121
Thanks for the impressions and pictures! - Would love to know what you're considering for cable replacement options
For now, I'm using the skinny cables from my Meze 99's. A few hours ago, I ordered a 2 meter set from Arctic Cables (eBay). He has complete 100% feedback and makes a point of stating that his (or her?) cables are flexible and microphonics free. I'll let you know how they work out when I receive them.

I'm considering using the stock cable to tie a bundle of newspapers before I recycle them. Yes, they are that bad. I sent a comment directly to Focal, let's see if I get a response.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #94 of 121
Expecting mine to arrive on Thursday.. Can't wait to compare them with some of my in-class collection: Cascade, Z7MKII, LCD-2/C and SE-M5

How do you like the Z7 mk2? Do you know the mk1, if so can you compare them? Thx!

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #95 of 121
I had the same thought, but then I saw a comment from Dan Clark (I think it was in the Ether CX Massdrop thread), where he said something to the effect: "The Ether C Flow 1.1 will be our top closed-back for a while." [paraphrased]

Question is, how long is a while? My guess is at least a year, probably two.

While I still love my Alpha Primes, after hearing the Ether CX Massdrop and Ether C Flow 1.1 at RMAF last weekend, they were both significantly better than my Primes (I brought them to compare). But a headphone upgrade will have to wait as I'm currently building a two-channel system.
:relaxed:
I am on a quest to find the unicorn closed headphone... how did you like the Ether CX vs the 1.1 Flow? Thanks!

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #96 of 121
I am on a quest to find the unicorn closed headphone... how did you like the Ether CX vs the 1.1 Flow? Thanks!
I've been a fan of Mr. Speakers since the Alpha Dogs days :wink:, so I may be a bit biased.

Going from my Primes to the Ether CX greatly improved the sound stage (wider, more air) AND had more detail across the board, with a nice, detailed low end. The jump from the Ether CX to the Ether C Flow 1.1 wasn't as dramatic, but I did notice even more detail and they seemed to be tad faster. All this was listening through the Mojo Audio Mystique DAC and a Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon amp, an admittedly dream rig. They're both great headphones, so whether that "little bit more" is worth almost twice the price is a personal decision.

BTW, I noticed you have a Hugo2. I really enjoyed listening to the Hugo TT 2 with the M-Scalar at the Chord booth...that combo sounded wonderful as well. There's just so much great-sounding gear out there these days!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #97 of 121
How do you like the Z7 mk2? Do you know the mk1, if so can you compare them? Thx!
It's really hard for me to compare the two at the moment because I sold my Z7 Mk I a while back, but from memory I can say that the MK II is brighter with less emphasis on the low end and maybe a little more air and space. Dare I say the MK II is more reminiscent of the Z1r sound signature than the original Z7. Actually I am recently in the market for another pair of MK I Z7 because I miss that goony, muddled, bass beast signature. If I come by a good price on a pair soon, I will do a direct comparison.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #98 of 121
Just got my pair of Elegias today, so, still playing/breaking in. So these are just initial impressions like everyone else. You can see my sources and other hp's below. These are already my favorite pair of closed headphones I have ever owned.
Up to this point I have owned T5p1 and LCD-XC. I sold the T5p's because they were just weird- some tracks sounded amazing, others sounded better on far cheaper headphones, also, I couldn't stand the fit, even though I still have my T1.1 and enjoy them.
The LCD-XC is a superior headphone to the T5p. It is better than the LCD-2 fazor in many ways since it has the X driver. However, it is honestly as heavy as a football helmet. I just couldn't take it any more and it was useless for travel- too delicate and too HUGE. Don't get me wrong, I hate selling them, but I needed real closed hp's for travel.
The Elegia obviously doesn't come into the same category of lush detail as my Utopias, but they are remarkably similar in presentation- soundstage, rich bass, detail, crisp instruments and vocals. If you like Focal sound, fit and finish, you will immediately recognize that the Elegia is a member of the family (I've also auditioned the Clears on several occasions). Some of the presentation seems recessed to me- maybe the midrange? But this is comparing it to the Utopia, so, forget it. Also, my Elegias need break in. I also wasn't impressed by my Utopias at first. This is laughable to me now. Utopia is a magical miracle from another planet.
Where the Elegia really shines for me already is in comfort. Don't know how they did it but these are about twice as comfortable as the Utopias. The pads are unlike anything I've ever seen. Like the most comfy pillows ever- same with the headband.
As others mentioned, the cables are stiff and microphonic. Pretty bad. Not sure if I will replace them yet, but, probably will. This is the only fly in the ointment as the carrying case is sweet. I'm starting to like French people again.
Also, the price is right. Personally I find these more engaging than the Aeon C's I auditioned this summer which is the closest competitor. But I could be wrong, I like Focal a lot and may be biased. I certainly was not going to carry around the Ether Flow C which is really the only other thing I considered in this category- I'm sure it is better, but it is like double the price. Don't even get me started on the HD 820, they are great, but $1000 hp's for $2400- really?
All for now, IMHO, these are a no brainer.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #99 of 121
"I'm starting to like French people again. "

Best thing I've read all day, possibly all month!!!

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #100 of 121
Hi, how could anyone like these headphones?
Those drops between 3k and 5k makes female voices so recessed and muffled, hearing them side by side with clears and they are really bad. My NightOwls sounds better...

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #101 of 121
Those drops between 3k and 5k makes female voices so recessed and muffled, hearing them side by side with clears and they are really bad. My NightOwls sounds better...
Interesting comment. I have yet to try them with female vocals. I'll have to go heavy today with Joni, Patti, and Eva!!! Maybe some Grace as well.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #102 of 121
Apples and oranges. Obviously open hp's have huge advantages over any closed ones- especially the Clear! I'm not sensing recessed female vocals. But if you like the NightOwls better, I could understand that. They are great hp's, just not interested in wearing those in public.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #103 of 121
Apples and oranges. Obviously open hp's have huge advantages over any closed ones- especially the Clear! I'm not sensing recessed female vocals. But if you like the NightOwls better, I could understand that. They are great hp's, just not interested in wearing those in public.
Haha! I wouldn't wear the NightOwls in public either :joy:

Really I'm kind of disappointed that one can compare the the Elegia to the NightOwls because I distinctly remember not liking the NightOwls sound signature, somewhat faded and flat, not to mention the unsightly contraption of a design. I get my Elegia tomorrow and if they are anything alike you'll be seeing them in the trade forum soon after. I understand this is all very subjective but I would never have put these two in the same category and if I did I wouldn't have swung $900 for the Elegia.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #104 of 121
Haha! I wouldn't wear the NightOwls in public either :joy:

Really I'm kind of disappointed that one can compare the the Elegia to the NightOwls because I distinctly remember not liking the NightOwls sound signature, somewhat faded and flat, not to mention the unsightly contraption of a design. I get my Elegia tomorrow and if they are anything alike you'll be seeing them in the trade forum soon after. I understand this is all very subjective but I would never have put these two in the same category and if I did I wouldn't have swung $900 for the Elegia.
FYI, I listened to the NightOwls for like 30 seconds in a store this summer. Truly doubt they are similar to the Elegia sound signature. The few folks I've read describe the NightOwl as fairly unique and hard to categorize.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #105 of 121
How come? Sure they are in the same category. And I love the design of Focal phones, especially on Clears.
But NightOwls are weirdly nice too.

OK, I've tried Elegias after Clears so maybe that's why I didn't like them, but still feel that my owls are better with female voices...and the price difference.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back