Focal Elegia Measurements
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #106 of 121
Been AB'ing the Elegia vs. Utopia most of the morning with Tidal through Mojo. Elegia is NOT disappointing even after listening to the Utopia for a few minutes on the same tracks. I find the ability to have a closed hp extremely advantageous in the living room at home (noisy) and obviously out on the move. This cancels out the superiority of the Utopia when you can hear rustling, shouting, nagging, sniffling, fighting, and other anxiety producing noises from the next room. Yes, hp's are my personal sanctuary in a world that at times erodes my soul.
BTW, Elegia is not the most quiet, closed-in environment I've heard in a closed back. That would be the EL-8, those things were like being inside a locked safe. Too claustrophobic for me, but, very quiet. Elegia is not claustrophobic at all, but provides just enough isolation.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #107 of 121
Been AB'ing the Elegia vs. Utopia most of the morning with Tidal through Mojo. Elegia is NOT disappointing even after listening to the Utopia for a few minutes on the same tracks. I find the ability to have a closed hp extremely advantageous in the living room at home (noisy) and obviously out on the move. This cancels out the superiority of the Utopia when you can hear rustling, shouting, nagging, sniffling, fighting, and other anxiety producing noises from the next room. Yes, hp's are my personal sanctuary in a world that at times erodes my soul.
BTW, Elegia is not the most quiet, closed-in environment I've heard in a closed back. That would be the EL-8, those things were like being inside a locked safe. Too claustrophobic for me, but, very quiet. Elegia is not claustrophobic at all, but provides just enough isolation.
Makes a nice change from the guy who said they sound worse than his NightOwls. And compared to the King of the Hill no less! :p

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #108 of 121
Just got my pair of Elegias today, so, still playing/breaking in. So these are just initial impressions like everyone else. You can see my sources and other hp's below. These are already my favorite pair of closed headphones I have ever owned.
Up to this point I have owned T5p1 and LCD-XC. I sold the T5p's because they were just weird- some tracks sounded amazing, others sounded better on far cheaper headphones, also, I couldn't stand the fit, even though I still have my T1.1 and enjoy them.
The LCD-XC is a superior headphone to the T5p. It is better than the LCD-2 fazor in many ways since it has the X driver. However, it is honestly as heavy as a football helmet. I just couldn't take it any more and it was useless for travel- too delicate and too HUGE. Don't get me wrong, I hate selling them, but I needed real closed hp's for travel.
The Elegia obviously doesn't come into the same category of lush detail as my Utopias, but they are remarkably similar in presentation- soundstage, rich bass, detail, crisp instruments and vocals. If you like Focal sound, fit and finish, you will immediately recognize that the Elegia is a member of the family (I've also auditioned the Clears on several occasions). Some of the presentation seems recessed to me- maybe the midrange? But this is comparing it to the Utopia, so, forget it. Also, my Elegias need break in. I also wasn't impressed by my Utopias at first. This is laughable to me now. Utopia is a magical miracle from another planet.
Where the Elegia really shines for me already is in comfort. Don't know how they did it but these are about twice as comfortable as the Utopias. The pads are unlike anything I've ever seen. Like the most comfy pillows ever- same with the headband.
As others mentioned, the cables are stiff and microphonic. Pretty bad. Not sure if I will replace them yet, but, probably will. This is the only fly in the ointment as the carrying case is sweet. I'm starting to like French people again.
Also, the price is right. Personally I find these more engaging than the Aeon C's I auditioned this summer which is the closest competitor. But I could be wrong, I like Focal a lot and may be biased. I certainly was not going to carry around the Ether Flow C which is really the only other thing I considered in this category- I'm sure it is better, but it is like double the price. Don't even get me started on the HD 820, they are great, but $1000 hp's for $2400- really?
All for now, IMHO, these are a no brainer.

I knida agree with everything you said, and YES they do need some break in, after 20 hours my Elegia started to open a bit more and the sometimes shouty mids calmed down. It seems the bass (which is think is amazing, tight, fast, accurate) benefited also from the burn in so far.
Despite being french i never was a Focal headphones fan before (oh these horrible Spirit One..) and I can't afford the Utopia or even the Clear but i don't regret any euro invested in the Elegia which had put my Kennerton Magister and Final Audio Sonorous VI back to their boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #111 of 121
Just received my Elegias and before I can even get into impressions I have to say: Is the cable a joke? I thought you guys were exaggerating! -- Alright Focal, joke over, where's the real cable?! :unamused:
I guess you didn't get the memo, Focal wants us to be able to customize our personal experience!!!!

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #112 of 121
and FWIW, I sent an email to Focal cust service a few days ago. The crickets so far are deafening.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #113 of 121
I knida agree with everything you said, and YES they do need some break in, after 20 hours my Elegia started to open a bit more and the sometimes shouty mids calmed down. It seems the bass (which is think is amazing, tight, fast, accurate) benefited also from the burn in so far.
Despite being french i never was a Focal headphones fan before (oh these horrible Spirit One..) and I can't afford the Utopia or even the Clear but i don't regret any euro invested in the Elegia which had put my Kennerton Magister and Final Audio Sonorous VI back to their boxes.

Glad to know you are starting to like us again, Unfortunately i'm not able to return the compliment yet, something to do with some hideous orange wig ruling your country :wink: (but i love you for Audeze though)

It’s not a wig. It’s a dead Tom Cat

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #114 of 121
Hmm, good point. Looks like a lot more discussion over there. Why not just move over there and leave this thread for people who want to debate measurements (which I can't read anyway)?

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #115 of 121
It’s not a wig. It’s a dead Tom Cat
You might consider sticking to audio. You're not quite as insightful with political humor.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #117 of 121
Too bad. I did find it funny. But ok.

4ba0c1eb62e5f9c5d096aa0defb10c3d.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #118 of 121

I'll offer up more commentary about the Focal Elegia and its measurements, but it will have to wait until after CanJam @ RMAF, just due to time constraints during the show.

The measurements in this post were made using:
I haven't seen enough closed backs, but it seems closed-backs have this bump and dip type response in the bass. What is result of I wonder? Is this result of enclosure reflection? Or reverberations? I guess the dip is result of tuning to prevent bass bleed to the mids?

Sennheiser-HD-820-and-Sony-MDR-Z1R---FR.jpg

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #119 of 121
I haven't seen enough closed backs, but it seems closed-backs have this bump and dip type response in the bass. What is result of I wonder? Is this result of enclosure reflection? Or reverberations? I guess the dip is result of tuning to prevent bass bleed to the mids?

AFAIK it is due to reflection of the cup of the headphones.

Tuning can move around the dips and bumps and affect the magnitude to some extent. With HD820 I belive they said the could not removed the dip completely and found it least offensive when placed at 300hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back