Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,881 of 6,742
Lol! Actually, I was listening to Screaming Headless Torsos at ear spitting volume, while enjoying a fine slivovitz (with my pinkie in the air). Say you don’t like the equipment, fine, do NOT presume to judge people you don’t know in your 7th post on the forum. Pretty obvious that it’s your amp crapping out, not the headphones.

For totally unrelated reasons, I was looking at Innerfidelity's measurements of the Elear today. I never realized the impedance swing in the lower bass regions. 40hz to 60hz, these headphones are over 300 ohms. Notably, THD+noise at those frequencies is decent at higher volumes if driven well.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalElear.pdf
So yeah. Listening to bass heavy music at loud volumes that would push the amp with non-bass heavy content, they are going to distort.

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #5,882 of 6,742
@chrisgtl this cable, but now it is $75https://www.amazon.ca/NewFantasia-Hifiman-HE-400I-headphones-Balance/dp/B07884NVYZ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=balanced+headphone+cable&qid=1580820952&sr=8-9

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #5,883 of 6,742
20200213_185705.jpg

with the right amount of power... Elear become fluid...

really enjoying this pair...

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #5,886 of 6,742
this cable, but now it is $75https://www.amazon.ca/NewFantasia-Hifiman-HE-400I-headphones-Balance/dp/B07884NVYZ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=balanced+headphone+cable&qid=1580820952&sr=8-9
very happy with this cable, short about 5 feet with a slippery cable sleeve that doesnt stick to my leather chair, sounds pretty good for a 50$ cable, use it with my bryston amp

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #5,889 of 6,742
20200221_174914.jpg
o ow... ifi Zen DAC with AC power adapter, plug via balanced 4.4 to elear is my preference now, even more then ifi Micro iDSD BL...

Authority Sounding of ifi Micro iDSD BL still the best...
but musicality ifi Zen DAC seduce me, stationary and must plug to AC is big concern...

hahaha... I abstain for choosing... wish Can spend more with these two before deciding...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #5,890 of 6,742
Apologies if this has been covered already. For those that own both, was the Elear a stop-gap purchase until you can purchase the Clear or are they both worth owning? I am curious how often owners upgrade to the Clear after owning the Elear.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #5,891 of 6,742
For totally unrelated reasons, I was looking at Innerfidelity's measurements of the Elear today. I never realized the impedance swing in the lower bass regions. 40hz to 60hz, these headphones are over 300 ohms. Notably, THD+noise at those frequencies is decent at higher volumes if driven well.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalElear.pdf
So yeah. Listening to bass heavy music at loud volumes that would push the amp with non-bass heavy content, they are going to distort.

I hadn’t read those measurements before posting, but I learned empirically that the more headroom you give them with your amp, the better they sound, especially down low.

As for the cable question above, I lucked into some second hand silver dragons on the cheap, and they are a really good match for the Elears. Unfortunately, I can’t in good conscience recommend them at the retail price. That said, I paid about a third of retail and I am as happy as a pig in sh$t.

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #5,892 of 6,742
Finally got the red Focal Clear Pro pads for my Elear. Those are really hard to find, especially in Europe. Found them at Bloom Audio, but they are in the US and don't ship to Europe. I got in contact with them and the owner was so kind to unlock worldwide shipping for a short time, so I could buy them and then he shipped it to me.

I'm very happy with them, I like the sound a lot better than with the standard pads. Also, I think it looks pretty good.

010100dportrait_00100kcjmm.jpg

I also own the Dekoni fenestrated sheep pads, but these Clear pads are a lot more comfortable.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5,893 of 6,742
Finally got the red Focal Clear Pro pads for my Elear. Those are really hard to find, especially in Europe. Found them at Bloom Audio, but they are in the US and don't ship to Europe. I got in contact with them and the owner was so kind to unlock worldwide shipping for a short time, so I could buy them and then he shipped it to me.

I'm very happy with them, I like the sound a lot better than with the standard pads. Also, I think it looks pretty good.

010100dportrait_00100kcjmm.jpg

I also own the Dekoni fenestrated sheep pads, but these Clear pads are a lot more comfortable.

Care to describe what you liked better? I ordered the elex pads from massdrop but, due to a warehouse error, they are unable to fulfill the orders at this time. Thinking about the dekonis instead. I’d love to hear (read) your impressions. Thanks.

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #5,894 of 6,742
Care to describe what you liked better? I ordered the elex pads from massdrop but, due to a warehouse error, they are unable to fulfill the orders at this time. Thinking about the dekonis instead. I’d love to hear (read) your impressions. Thanks.

I didn't do a real sound comparison yet, so I'm just commenting on comfort for now. The Clear pads feel softer and I feel less pressure compared to the Dekoni. Also, the leather-like surface of the Dekoni caused a little bit of sweat building up on my skin after some time while the Clear pads don't do it at all.
The Clear pads feel amazing while the Dekoni "just" feel very good.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #5,895 of 6,742
I didn't do a real sound comparison yet, so I'm just commenting on comfort for now. The Clear pads feel softer and I feel less pressure compared to the Dekoni. Also, the leather-like surface of the Dekoni caused a little bit of sweat building up on my skin after some time while the Clear pads don't do it at all.
The Clear pads feel amazing while the Dekoni "just" feel very good.

Interesting info, thanks, i need replacement as well, i will try to persuade them to send a pair to my country as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back