Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #5,911 of 6,742
Where did you buy the Dekonis from @Kibbelhs if you dont mind me asking?

Is it worth buying the (Manufacturing Defect) Dekonis from their site?, its quite a discount at 40usd.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #5,912 of 6,742
Oh man. I didn’t think about the defects. Those would be a cheap route to get pad adapters

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #5,915 of 6,742
I'm also in australia thats why i asked.
Addicted seems abit pricey at $144.95 aud however cheaper than the dekoni international store.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #5,916 of 6,742
I just ordered an Elear with the Elear pads, Utopia pads, and hard case from Headphones.com for $599. I'm hoping they arrive Tuesday if all goes well. This is my most expensive headphone purchase yet. I also have an HD650, Q701, and a K371 for full size headphones.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #5,917 of 6,742
I just ordered an Elear with the Elear pads, Utopia pads, and hard case from Headphones.com for $599. I'm hoping they arrive Tuesday if all goes well. This is my most expensive headphone purchase yet. I also have an HD650, Q701, and a K371 for full size headphones.

If you're not a fan of the Utopia pads and want to make a couple bucks PM me. I need a new pair.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,918 of 6,742
If you're not a fan of the Utopia pads and want to make a couple bucks PM me. I need a new pair.

From looking at graphs and from reading what people have been saying about them, I'm thinking the Utopia pads will be the pads I prefer. I'm gonna guess that the Elear pads will make for more bass than I like, but we'll see.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #5,919 of 6,742
I'm also in australia thats why i asked.
Addicted seems abit pricey at $144.95 aud however cheaper than the dekoni international store.
Got it from A2A because I purchased my Focal Elear from them at 499, so decided to get it from them to save myself from any hassle. They're on back-order atm, mine's going to be shipped when it's in stock. Here's what I received from them:
"Unfortunately the Dekoni earpads that you purchased is temporarily out of stock and we cannot fulfill your order at this present time. However, we have placed an urgent order from the supplier and stock is due to arrive within 3 to 4 weeks. "
Hope you manage to get them elsewhere cheaper, or you'd have to wait like me haha.

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #5,920 of 6,742
I cannot tell if it's simply me still being new to the headphone, but...

I jury-rigged a pair of Eikon pads to my elears using velcro sticky tape.

They might be a lil big, but god damn everything sounds so ****ing good with the Eikons, it's ridiculous.

Test songs were Anamanaguchi: Endless Fantasy
Ayreon: Across the Rainbow Bridge
Ruff Majik: Canned Fruit Bats, Last of the Witches.
Modest Mouse: Float On.

I could actually hear the separation of voices in float on, like??? Never experienced that before.

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5,921 of 6,742
Just got my Elear and snapped on the Utopia pads. These sound great so far. So far they're just plugged into my phone with a Hidizs Sonata HDII dongle. Haven't tried with my NX4DSD yet. I also have a Meizu Pro dongle coming as well that I plan to use them with. I'll be trying the NX4DSD later tonight.

* Edit: Sounds slightly better with my NX4DSD, even just on low gain at about the 11 o'clock position.

* Edit: I think I'm going to really like this headphone. So far so good.

* Edit again: Wow, these are great. They are definitely in a whole different league than the HD650. The frequency response is similar to how I've been EQ'ing my HD650(more sub-bass, more top end), but everything else about these is just better. More detail everywhere, better resolution, better dynamics, better speed and attack, and they sound wider and more open. And the bass just has this awesome texture and detail to it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #5,922 of 6,742
elear is quite unique... Pairing with burson DAC makes songs become lust...
but going back to NX4DSD, I noticed, micro detail is the main course with the same song...

I Thought I can go all in with Burson DAC, but I still need the micro detail... so Keep it both...

I want to experiment with sheep skin pad diameter 100cm with custom pad... but current situation makes this material quite difficult to get... well will update again...

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #5,923 of 6,742
Hey guys i just purchased the Elear through headphones.com with the Utopia pads. This is my first nice headphone so I don't have much to compare them to. I got them primarily to game with, and so far they are a huge step up from my Razer headphones. For music I'm not sure how to feel about them yet. In some songs the vocals seem a bit far away but always very smooth. Also I noticed they are not very forgiving to poorly mastered music. But other than that I love the bass and low mids its just awesome. After reading through most of this thread it seems I need to get an amp to make the most out of them. Right now I just have them plugged into my Gigabyte Z390 Waterforce motherboard. And it seems I also need to break them in. So my questions are what is the best way to break them in? and what is a good AMP/DAC to pair with these in the 500 dollar range? also whats a good cable that wont break the bank as the stock one is ok but it gets quite heavy after gaming for awhile so I have to set the rest of the cord in my lap to keep it from pulling on the headphones.

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,924 of 6,742
Hey guys i just purchased the Elear through headphones.com with the Utopia pads. This is my first nice headphone so I don't have much to compare them to. I got them primarily to game with, and so far they are a huge step up from my Razer headphones. For music I'm not sure how to feel about them yet. In some songs the vocals seem a bit far away but always very smooth. Also I noticed they are not very forgiving to poorly mastered music. But other than that I love the bass and low mids its just awesome. After reading through most of this thread it seems I need to get an amp to make the most out of them. Right now I just have them plugged into my Gigabyte Z390 Waterforce motherboard. And it seems I also need to break them in. So my questions are what is the best way to break them in? and what is a good AMP/DAC to pair with these in the 500 dollar range? also whats a good cable that wont break the bank as the stock one is ok but it gets quite heavy after gaming for awhile so I have to set the rest of the cord in my lap to keep it from pulling on the headphones.

I'm using this cable. https://www.amazon.com/NEW-NEOMUSICIA-Replacement-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B01LYS3MM8

I've actually been using this same brand and model of cable on an HD650 and a Q701 as well. It's a good cable, especially for the price. I'm not a believer in cables doing enough to bother spending $100 or more on a cable.

The Elear needs power, but not a ton of power. I feel that a headphone at this price point and this capability deserves a decent amp and a decent DAC, with that said, I don't believe that you need to spend a ton on either. I use a Topping NX4DSD for mine on low gain and never have to exceed the 12 o'clock position. I've had this amp/DAC for about a year and a half and it's always done me well.

The day I got them I listened to them first with my phone and a supposedly crappy Hidizs Sonata HDII USB-C dongle and only needed about 15 to 18 out of 30 to get them to be plenty loud. I have a Meizu Pro dongle coming that I plan to use with my Elear as well. 3x the power of the Hidizs, and it measures better in every way from what I've read, and it's just built better. I still plan to mainly use the NX4DSD plugged into my laptop, but there may be times I use these with my phone and the Meizu Pro dongle. I figured when I wanted to use a dongle the Elear deserved better than a $26 Hidizs Sonata HDII.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back