Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #5,896 of 6,742
I've been using my Elear for the past day and they sound great from my SP200/D50s setup. The highs sound much more crisp and clean than before which gives them an energy I haven't heard before. The soundstage also seems larger than before with more depth.

Now I do have a new cable I'm using as well so that might also play a part in the improved sound I'm hearing. If that's the case then the $130 I spent one the cable was well worth it.

Mar 11, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #5,897 of 6,742
I didn't do a real sound comparison yet, so I'm just commenting on comfort for now. The Clear pads feel softer and I feel less pressure compared to the Dekoni. Also, the leather-like surface of the Dekoni caused a little bit of sweat building up on my skin after some time while the Clear pads don't do it at all.
The Clear pads feel amazing while the Dekoni "just" feel very good.

I really meant what did you like better about the clear pads vs the original pads. If I go dekoni, it will be the hybrids, which work great on my HD600s (and have a velour contact surface to eliminate the sweat issue with all leather pads). Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,898 of 6,742
I really meant what did you like better about the clear pads vs the original pads. If I go dekoni, it will be the hybrids, which work great on my HD600s (and have a velour contact surface to eliminate the sweat issue with all leather pads). Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Ah ok: So the Clear pads transform the Elear to the Elex soundwise, which is pretty close to the Focal Clear. I found the Elear to be too warm, bassy and "uncontrolled". The Clear pads change the sound signature and - in my opinion - improve them significantly. Comfort wise, not much difference. But they look way cooler than the standard ones hehe.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #5,899 of 6,742
Ah ok: So the Clear pads transform the Elear to the Elex soundwise, which is pretty close to the Focal Clear. I found the Elear to be too warm, bassy and "uncontrolled". The Clear pads change the sound signature and - in my opinion - improve them significantly. Comfort wise, not much difference. But they look way cooler than the standard ones hehe.
Uncontrolled... hmm, what sources you used?
using NX4DSD or Micro iDSD BL, seems very authoritive Low... IMHO...

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #5,900 of 6,742
I found clear pads for only 100 quite steal i guess

Attachments

• clear 1.jpg
    clear 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #5,901 of 6,742
Uncontrolled... hmm, what sources you used?
using NX4DSD or Micro iDSD BL, seems very authoritive Low... IMHO...

I mean uncontrolled mostly regarding the bass, that it's a bit too loose while the Clear pads make it more on point if that makes sense.

I'm using a Khadas Tone Board with a JDS Atom.

But I'm bad at describing it, there are in depth comparisons online between the Elear and the Elex that are more helpful I guess.

I found clear pads for only 100 quite steal i guess

Yeah that's a very good price. Those pads are quite expensive generally.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #5,902 of 6,742
I bought a pair of Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin series that the stitching is on the top instead of the bottom (60% 0ff) from Dekoni. I think they look great, are very comfortable and are very easy to clean. More importantly, they do seem to address the midrange and treble issues that were concerning me. I also disconnected my Black Dragon DIY cable from my Symphones, soldered some 3.5 connectors on and plugged them into my Elears / to my ears this made even more improvement. I am very pleased with the results and have been listening for hours every day smiling while exploring new and old artists on Tidal.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #5,903 of 6,742
Anyone got any experience with oidiosound or customcans cables?

I'm having quite a bit of trouble actually getting a response from customcans, and I really love the way both oidiosound and customcans braids their cables. Anyone know if they're any good?

Also, I get my elear on monday! Maybe sooner. Hoping to somehow pick up utopia pads, however. Will be pushing it with a Schiit magni 3 and modi 2!

Mar 21, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #5,907 of 6,742
what I mean is that driver failure of Focal Elear is very prevalent I've seen them in China...But I heard that driver failure issue has been amended on the end of 2019 and not sure if it's true or not...

If you buy it from authorized dealer, you shouldnot be that worry, they will take care on it :) for elear, its kindda cheap, around 90-100$ if driver failed and must be replaced, however in my country there's third party guy than can fix that failure issue easily if you dont want to wait long, so, no big deal here at all :)

My focal is from authorized dealer, and so far so good already almost 1 year, and no problem so far, here i attached some picture, this is my local authorized dealer of focal

Attachments

• MDI trading certificate.jpg
    MDI trading certificate.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #5,908 of 6,742
testing some sendy aiva pads on my elears right now and they sound pretty damn good and comfortable. I try to 3d print some pad adapters but the stupid prongs wont come out right and fall off so the pads are just sitting on the drivers at the moment. I do have some nylon pad adapters coming from shapeways. So far the sendy pads are a win

Mar 26, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #5,909 of 6,742
Just received mine, got it at 499 AUD discounted, coming from HD650. The build quality is such a huge leap, my unit doesn't creak at all, contrary to what some reviews state. However, i'm unsure as to how I feel about the sound, mixed feelings. Vocals don't sound as good as the 650s, probably because of the dip in the 3-4k range,and it sounds more 'in my head'vs'around my head' sound of the 650s (Yosi Horikawa's Bubbles). All these are my initial impressions, might change after I get used to the sound signature and will definitely do some EQing.

Feeling kinda disappointed, after hearing the claims that the elears are a step up from the 650s. Am I doing it wrong?
Both cans are paired with an O2 dac+amp.
Edit: Dekoni fenestrated pads on their way.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #5,910 of 6,742
Got my dekoni fenestrated yesterday, for me they were a huge improvement over stock pads. Mids were brought forward enough to make me not regret buying. I got mine used from a user here. Pads were pretty worn so that might have been a factor too. I still have high hopes for m sendy pads once the adapters get here I will update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back