Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #5,867 of 6,742
9E1C9D55-8D1C-4283-8D8F-8EEE3CAF437E.jpeg
The Elear definitely enjoy some power, but be careful because they are very sensitive and will pick up noise very easily. I’m getting great results with a Burson soloist sl on the low power setting.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #5,869 of 6,742
Why did you delete your post lok777? You have, what sounds like, either really bassy taste or a defective unit. It has been established that the drivers will clip but only with very bassy and LOUD music.

I have never heard it with my Elear, but I know it has been a problem with other's cans.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5,870 of 6,742
Why did you delete your post lok777? You have, what sounds like, either really bassy taste or a defective unit. It has been established that the drivers will clip but only with very bassy and LOUD music.

I have never heard it with my Elear, but I know it has been a problem with other's cans.
The more i read it is a known issue with them i didnt want to just flame you guys thread. Yes I listen to music absurdly loud apparently. But to me where I am putting them is just at a normal loud volume. i am 34 and have gone to concerts and shot guns my entire life so perhaps my hearing is messed up, but to me it is just medium/loud before it starts clipping. I am honestly just disapointed in all the over 500 dollar headphones I have bought I do not think i am going to continue with this hobby my- 150 JBL 305s sound a million times much better than even 1000 cans i just do not think this is my kind of thing. I love music and speakers but the headphone thing has just been super weak IMO and I am just really not impressed AT ALL with anything I have seen or heard for so much money. I just did not want to crap all over your guys hobby so i deleted my last post, but you asked :)

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #5,871 of 6,742
The more i read it is a known issue with them i didnt want to just flame you guys thread. Yes I listen to music absurdly loud apparently. But to me where I am putting them is just at a normal loud volume. i am 34 and have gone to concerts and shot guns my entire life so perhaps my hearing is messed up, but to me it is just medium/loud before it starts clipping. I am honestly just disapointed in all the over 500 dollar headphones I have bought I do not think i am going to continue with this hobby my- 150 JBL 305s sound a million times much better than even 1000 cans i just do not think this is my kind of thing. I love music and speakers but the headphone thing has just been super weak IMO and I am just really not impressed AT ALL with anything I have seen or heard for so much money. I just did not want to crap all over your guys hobby so i deleted my last post, but you asked :)

There have certainly been reports of some headphones clipping at lower volume levels than normal, but that's a bit hard to nail down unless you have a SPL meter handy. That being said, based on your description it sounds like you have a pair that I would personally send back for warranty work if possible.

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #5,872 of 6,742
There have certainly been reports of some headphones clipping at lower volume levels than normal, but that's a bit hard to nail down unless you have a SPL meter handy. That being said, based on your description it sounds like you have a pair that I would personally send back for warranty work if possible.

I have to agree. I’m 60, I’ve been playing in a Grateful Dead cover band, going to rock concerts and generally listening to very loud music my whole life. I didn’t see the original post, but my Elears don’t get anywhere near clipping at even insane volume levels. If you’re certain your Elears are not defective, or if it’s happening with multiple sets of high end cans, maybe you need to consider your source/amp rather than the headphones as the root of the problem. On the other hand, headphones simply can’t move as much air as a pair of JBLs, so maybe your deep bass expectations need to be tempered. Headphones are great, but they’ll never totally replace speakers for dynamic music. It’s a different, more intimate, less visceral experience. Have you tried closed back cans? They can generally deliver a little more punch than open backs.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #5,873 of 6,742
Perhaps it is the pair, but some tracks can go very loud, while others are just moderate and it goes to crap. I dont know but if what i have represents what they are I do not understand how people can be ok with something that does not work for so much money. I had Edition XXs and they made my THX AA desktop have an "overheating" error, not overcurrent, heating(immediatly and only over balance connection, SE could get even higher sound wise- the unit was not hot, I then had to unplug and replug it in to restart). I got a new THX amp, did the same thing so got rid of the headphones and tried these. i am sending these back and not going to be spending any more money on headphones it has just been a joke spending about 1500 bucks and having a bunch of stuff that doesnt even work correctly. I have gotten refunds on everything so whatever I am not out to much money, I just do not get why people are into these things for so much money. I love music and i have always listened to it loud, I have gone to 100s of concerts because I like loud music. i was hoping the headphones would be an extension of that but they have just been crap, and expensive crap. 1000 dollar headphone should not cause an overcurrent error on 2 500 dollar amps at medium volume. 1000 headphones clip at moderate to loud volume? what? Maybe you guys are all like enjoying a delightful orchestra, at a soothing volume, drinking a fine White Wine with a pinkie raised or something and i am this strange person listening to music at teenage levels- but I like to listen to music and hear it loudly.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #5,874 of 6,742
. I dont know but if what i have represents what they are I do not understand how people can be ok with something that does not work for so much money.

People have just told you that it's not happening to them. I have a pair, and it's not happening to me.

As others have said, maybe you have a bad pair. Or are you using a lot of EQ to boost the bass?

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #5,875 of 6,742
Perhaps it is the pair, but some tracks can go very loud, while others are just moderate and it goes to crap. I dont know but if what i have represents what they are I do not understand how people can be ok with something that does not work for so much money. I had Edition XXs and they made my THX AA desktop have an "overheating" error, not overcurrent, heating(immediatly and only over balance connection, SE could get even higher sound wise- the unit was not hot, I then had to unplug and replug it in to restart). I got a new THX amp, did the same thing so got rid of the headphones and tried these. i am sending these back and not going to be spending any more money on headphones it has just been a joke spending about 1500 bucks and having a bunch of stuff that doesnt even work correctly. I have gotten refunds on everything so whatever I am not out to much money, I just do not get why people are into these things for so much money. I love music and i have always listened to it loud, I have gone to 100s of concerts because I like loud music. i was hoping the headphones would be an extension of that but they have just been crap, and expensive crap. 1000 dollar headphone should not cause an overcurrent error on 2 500 dollar amps at medium volume. 1000 headphones clip at moderate to loud volume? what? Maybe you guys are all like enjoying a delightful orchestra, at a soothing volume, drinking a fine White Wine with a pinkie raised or something and i am this strange person listening to music at teenage levels- but I like to listen to music and hear it loudly.

Lol! Actually, I was listening to Screaming Headless Torsos at ear spitting volume, while enjoying a fine slivovitz (with my pinkie in the air). Say you don’t like the equipment, fine, do NOT presume to judge people you don’t know in your 7th post on the forum. Pretty obvious that it’s your amp crapping out, not the headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #5,876 of 6,742
Lol! Actually, I was listening to Screaming Headless Torsos at ear spitting volume, while enjoying a fine slivovitz (with my pinkie in the air). Say you don’t like the equipment, fine, do NOT presume to judge people you don’t know in your 7th post on the forum. Pretty obvious that it’s your amp crapping out, not the headphones.

Yea, trying to make fun of people who just went out of their way to help you, then ignoring their help, isn't the greatest way to garner more help.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #5,877 of 6,742
The Elear definitely enjoy some power, but be careful because they are very sensitive and will pick up noise very easily. I’m getting great results with a Burson soloist sl on the low power setting.
Burson Soloist... nice...

Agreed on Elear will be enjoyable with more power.

had opportunity to compare Burson Playmate V6 with ifi Micro iDSD BL.
I prefer ifi due more dynamic and detail. and also mobility purpose...
Although Playmate gave more raw power...

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #5,878 of 6,742
2 other observations about the Elears:

1. They take longer than usual to break in - maybe 100 hours before they start to let go dynamically. So break ‘em in loud!

2. Contrary to popular belief around here, imho, the stock ear pads are not the weak spot. I recommend replacing the cable instead. Silver Dragon V3 gave me much more openness, clarity and life, especially at the frequency extremes, but the retail price of $440 is very steep; I got a used set for $150. On the other hand, for me, they are a perfect complement to the Elears.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #5,879 of 6,742
the stock cable sucks, I bought a $50 balanced cable off amazon that is way better, and yes they do need a lot of time to break in but it is worth the wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back