Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #5,821 of 6,742
Could anyone possibly tell me if these cans would need a amplifier?, I use my headphones for my note 9 cell phone and a ipod touch, the amp should cost no more than 3 or 400 dollars U.S.

thanks

I sometimes run mine directly off my iPhone 8 and it works fine so it will probably work fine for you too. Will it sound better with a quality amp and DAC? Sure, but it’s not necessary for it to sound good.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #5,822 of 6,742
I sometimes run mine directly off my iPhone 8 and it works fine so it will probably work fine for you too. Will it sound better with a quality amp and DAC? Sure, but it’s not necessary for it to sound good. They are impressively energy efficient so if you do get an amp/DAC, you won’t need much power anf it can be small, light and inexpensive. Something like a FIIO Q1 would work. If you want to spend more you might want to look at a Schiit Asgard 3 with a DAC card installed, but it won’t be portable.

You could also get a Schiit Modi / Magni combo for $200 (I’d probably get the “Heresy” version of the Magni) and that would also work really well.

A high end portable solution would be a Chord Mojo at $400, which I’ve never heard but receives rave reviews

thanks so much!

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,823 of 6,742
Elear with DAC/AMP Topping NX4DSD is good... the bass boost helps...

20191130_094330.jpg

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #5,824 of 6,742
Could anyone possibly tell me if these cans would need a amplifier?, I use my headphones for my note 9 cell phone and a ipod touch, the amp should cost no more than 3 or 400 dollars U.S.

thanks
I use mine with the es100 all the time. Even so, straight out of the iphone dongle sounds good too.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,825 of 6,742

thanks

I would certainly recommend an amplifier - these headphones are not inexpensive and you would not be getting the most out of them without an amp. That being said, you don’t have to spend a ton on an amp. As will f mentioned, a Schiit magni 3 for $99 (or less) would do very nicely.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #5,826 of 6,742
Curious if your bass shyness cleared up. My thought is that the bass takes a little time to develop when breaking in a brand new pair of headphones.

Shoot! Forgot to quote the post I was responding to and now I can’t find it again and system won’t let me delete this.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #5,827 of 6,742
Not good for me at my desk. I have a bad habit of rolling over long cables like that with my chair. :ksc75smile:

Lol! Sometimes I think I’m the only one who ever uses headphones at home, not at a desk. I’m annoyed that mine came with the 3m cable instead of the 4m cable I was promised, because I need 12+ ft. to reach ‘my spot’ in my listening room.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #5,829 of 6,742
So for a portable amp I am looking at the topping NX4DSD or the fiio q1, does anyone know if the q1 will work with a samsung note 10 or note 10 plus?
Q1 or Q1 Mark2?

if you like more portable, try Hidiz Sonata USB DAC.
I find the power is sufficient enough for Elear, from Note 8...

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #5,831 of 6,742
20191204_191918.jpg

Reterminate my Old OCC Hybrids Silver copper Litz 24 AWG 4 strand cable (like Toxic cable)..
MMCX to 3.5 TS..

Conductivity AVG 192 mOhm... for 1.2 M
Original Cable AVG 348 mOhm... for 3 M

Ugh baby.. The Mid/vocal is what I like... cheers

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,832 of 6,742
I haven't used my good old Elear in quite sometime so I figured it was time to see how they sound on my SMSL SP200 THX amp. Like with every other headphone I've used on that amp the Elear sounded better than ever. The clarity was great and I felt like they had even more depth now which is huge since that's one of my favorite parts about the Elear. I would have never guessed an amp could have this much of an affect on headphones but with that THX tech it's like listening to a new headphone because they sound so different now. I'm going to spend the rest of the day (at least when I can) enjoying my Elear again.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #5,833 of 6,742
Your headphone has a 5 year warranty from original date of purchase by the original purchaser.

Is the 5 year warranty for all Focal headphones or just certain models?
I heard that the Elears' had a particular issue with driver failure so Focal extended the warranty to 5 years. Just got mine repaired as I was able to produce the required invoice.

Thanks.....FP

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #5,834 of 6,742
Is the 5 year warranty for all Focal headphones or just certain models?
I heard that the Elears' had a particular issue with driver failure so Focal extended the warranty to 5 years. Just got mine repaired as I was able to produce the required invoice.

Thanks.....FP

according to Marine from Focal it’s all focal headphones from the Elear up. It does not include the Elex or other lower end models

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #5,835 of 6,742
I haven't used my good old Elear in quite sometime so I figured it was time to see how they sound on my SMSL SP200 THX amp. Like with every other headphone I've used on that amp the Elear sounded better than ever. The clarity was great and I felt like they had even more depth now which is huge since that's one of my favorite parts about the Elear. I would have never guessed an amp could have this much of an affect on headphones but with that THX tech it's like listening to a new headphone because they sound so different now. I'm going to spend the rest of the day (at least when I can) enjoying my Elear again.

Me and you both! I just got the SP200 yesterday- listened to music for hours last night through my Elear. Background definitely blacker with more space around each note- I wouldn't say the SP200 did anything to the width of the sound stage but the depth definitely sounded deeper and the placement of the notes seemed more precise. It's like putting on glasses for you music- everything is clearer! Using the XLR inputs from the dac and listening through the 3.5mm jack, I can only go to around 8:30ish on the volume knob on low gain- powerful amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back