Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #5,806 of 6,742
Got my Elears on Thursday, and I have been enjoying them very much. They are definitely a keeper!

Today, I received an inexpensive headphone cable replacement from Amazon. And the car battery jumper cables that came with the headphones went back in the Focal box :beyersmile:
I’m also replacing my cable because it ruins the super thick, very black cable ruins the look on my desk at work... which cable did you buy? I’m considering this $43 one:

NewFantasia Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable Compatible with Denon AH-D600, AH-D7200, AH-D7100, AH-D9200, AH-D5200, Meze 99 Classics, Focal Elear Headphones with 3.5mm 1/8" Male and 6.3mm 1/4" Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3D5PXK/

2B156BE8-A08A-40F1-9473-FBDB82FD70B3.jpeg

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #5,807 of 6,742
About to put mine up for sale in the HeadFi classifieds. They were great once I found a pair that was free of factory (or related to poor climate in amazon storage?) defects. The crackling bass issue was a major no-go on my first pair - The pair I ended up with could handle thumping bass well, however! A huge step up from the Spirit Classics I upgraded from. The stock cable never bothered me, I use it at a desk.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,808 of 6,742
I’m also replacing my cable because it ruins the super thick, very black cable ruins the look on my desk at work... which cable did you buy? I’m considering this $43 one:

NewFantasia Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable Compatible with Denon AH-D600, AH-D7200, AH-D7100, AH-D9200, AH-D5200, Meze 99 Classics, Focal Elear Headphones with 3.5mm 1/8" Male and 6.3mm 1/4" Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3D5PXK/

I got their cheapest one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07Q282FKV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I have a headphone extension cable about a foot long that is plugged into my headphone amp that I had made by Ghent Audio.

So I'm going to see if they'll make me some headphone cables using the same cable. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,809 of 6,742
About to put mine up for sale in the HeadFi classifieds. They were great once I found a pair that was free of factory (or related to poor climate in amazon storage?) defects. The crackling bass issue was a major no-go on my first pair - The pair I ended up with could handle thumping bass well, however! A huge step up from the Spirit Classics I upgraded from. The stock cable never bothered me, I use it at a desk.

Not good for me at my desk. I have a bad habit of rolling over long cables like that with my chair. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #5,813 of 6,742
I have YAXI Pad... it was for my HD668b.. but I was thinking to put it on my elear...

make 3D print... hope it fits...
Just want to report.. the 3D print already done before the angle earpad comes.. I tried it... and snap... it broke in some of the clip, and broke again when to pull it out...
Hahaha... costly curiosity....

edit : YAXI pad is not compatible... oh snap again...

since alrd broken, why stop... tried my wearout angled pad...
hmm.. more comfortable...
soundwise... bass get boost...
20191127_194900.jpg
double tapes in action... hehhe

20191127_195215.jpg 20191127_195241.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #5,814 of 6,742
Just want to report.. the 3D print already done before the angle earpad comes.. I tried it... and snap... it broke in some of the clip, and broke again when to pull it out...
Hahaha... costly curiosity....

edit : YAXI pad is not compatible... oh snap again...

since alrd broken, why stop... tried my wearout angled pad...
hmm.. more comfortable...

double tips in action... hehhe

What material and printing process are you using? I found ABS/FDM way too brittle, ended up having to go with nylon/SLS.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #5,815 of 6,742
What material and printing process are you using? I found ABS/FDM way too brittle, ended up having to go with nylon/SLS.
I guess ABS... will tried to find other who used Nylon/SLS then....

Edit : confirm ABS... hmm I didn't know that... any future advice for the 2nd attempt?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,816 of 6,742

Sound impression about Angled Pad. The Pad condition is wear out, some of the protein leather peal off, but inside area still in good shape.
I stand to be corrected, that the bass is not boost, but the angled pad give better separation and felt laid back, so it gaves the low frequency better clarity.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #5,817 of 6,742
I love my elears. Got the package from headphones.com with the carrying case and a pair of utopia earpads for $599 delivered. Whale of a deal in my opinion. Definitely better than my Sennheisers and different from but just as good as if not better than my hifiman he-560s. The only thing they were supposed to come with but didn’t was the original 4m cord, which I need. It came with a three meter cord which is fine, but doesn’t quite reach my spot. Very disappointed that Headphones.com is doing nothing for me, even though their ad clearly stated that it comes with the original 4 m cable. Going to have to go out and buy an extension on eBay, which I am loathe to do.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #5,818 of 6,742
Hahaha.. I gave up for the adapter thing..

20191201_151715.jpg
Even the Nylon, also have snap clip...

Well, It seems this is just One time usage...
can't do AB comparison with these...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #5,819 of 6,742
I love my elears. Got the package from headphones.com with the carrying case and a pair of utopia earpads for $599 delivered. Whale of a deal in my opinion. Definitely better than my Sennheisers and different from but just as good as If not better than my hifiman he-560s. The only thing they were supposed to come with but didn’t was the original 4m cord, which I need. It came wit a three meter cord which is fine, but doesn’t quite reach my spot. Very disappointed that Headphones.com is doing nothing for me, even though their ad clearly stated that it comes with the original 4 m cable. Going to have to go out and buy an extension on eBay, which I am loathe to do.

Ghent Audio has very good quality extension cables. This is the one I use https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d09.html

You can also order from them on eBay, but it's usually a couple dollars cheaper to buy from them from their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back