Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,506 of 6,742
I just say its cheapy cause I think it will be easy to break when it gets snagged on something...thats all...I own it...it works

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #5,509 of 6,742
I'm looking at the Elear, but the reviews elsewhere are mixed. Everybody says Elex, Clear, and some Elegia better. I'm worried about getting that. I'm looking at buying used or headphones.com deal w/ the utopia or clear pads. I'm just afraid the Elex is much better.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #5,510 of 6,742
I'm looking at the Elear, but the reviews elsewhere are mixed. Everybody says Elex, Clear, and some Elegia better. I'm worried about getting that. I'm looking at buying used or headphones.com deal w/ the utopia or clear pads. I'm just afraid the Elex is much better.
I have the best of both worlds: an Elear with Elex pads (which basically makes it an Elex, maybe a smidge different). Problem is Elex pads have only once been ‘dropped’ by Massdrop so there’s no guarantee you can get them. But if you can, it’s a win-win. I like the Elear with some music, and I have Dekoni sheepskin pads (that you can easily get) that make them ‘better’ than stock Elear pads. It I do like the Elex more for more music, and haven’t taken off the Elex pads in a very long while.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #5,511 of 6,742

Elear and Elex are open. Elegia are closed back.

I own both Elear and Elex. I purchased the Elex *because* I loved the Elear I had before. They only differ in (1) pads and (2) damping scheme. Elear are faster and more visceral. Elex are developed to be more gentle, remove some high frequency spikes and have a more even frequency response (reduced bass slam). That said, they are close relatives so they sound more similar than different.

You did not state what kind of sound you prefer. Without that information, I would say: get some used Elear (cheaper than Elex). If you love the sound, you are done. If you find problems with high frequencies, try to apply some of the well known reversible modifications (basically inserting a soft tissue in front and/or behind the drivers). Otherwise, sell the Elear and go for the Elex.

In my experience, if you get used to the Elear, you will find the Elex to sound laid back and, to a point, somewhat boring. Obviously, it all depends on your preferences and the type of music you listen to. By the way, both take EQ nicely.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #5,512 of 6,742

Honestly, take the personal reviews with a grain of salt. You need to keep in mind when you get headphones at this cost, it brings out the Audiofools who are overly critical of things they think are there and aren't and throw around stupid buzzwords like "veield" whatever other crap they come up with. I was doing research hard to see if they were going to be worth it and started noticing the pattern of all these self proclaimed audiophiles talking about nothing. Check out Z-Reviews on youtube. Dude is straight to the point and doesn't BS around. The only thing I don't agree with him on is that reverb sound. I don't get that at all, but I may also be skewed on that because my only other headphones i've had for years is the OG Nighthawks, which are a very non traditional sound. So this new forward/bright sounding headphone sounds normal to me lol.

Elex was just slightly tuned so the mids were a bit more forward and I believe something with bringing the treble out a bit more? Not sure on that last one but guess what, that's what the Dekoni pads do and they do it well. So if you can get the Elear for cheap, look at some Dekoni charts to see what their different pads do for the sound and go with that.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #5,514 of 6,742
Dec 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,516 of 6,742
@spykez Those are them! But, definitely not an easy fit. I had to cut the plastic adapters out of the original pads to use as a mounting mechanism.

oh, nvm than haha. Wonder if anyone's 3D printed the plate yet? That'd be kinda neat.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #5,517 of 6,742
@spykez If they have I wasn't able to find it before I performed the operation! I posted this a while back, but here's the Elear with 1840 pads:

9939289_l.jpg

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5,518 of 6,742
Well that looks super clean. What did it do for the sound that you liked it?

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5,519 of 6,742
I have elear with original and Elex pads. I like this, since I can change the pads to get the Elex tuning, but I have a focal-made product rather than Massdrop build quality. Members on a certain other forum have measured an Elex that reaches its driver's excursion limit and buzzes in normal playback. I would say go for the elear and if the mid-treble presentation isn't to your liking try to pick up elex or clear pads. Elears can be had for much less than retail as well, so this is also likely the economical option, take a look at the FS forums here if that floats your boat.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #5,520 of 6,742
I have elear with original and Elex pads. I like this, since I can change the pads to get the Elex tuning, but I have a focal-made product rather than Massdrop build quality. Members on a certain other forum have measured an Elex that reaches its driver's excursion limit and buzzes in normal playback. I would say go for the elear and if the mid-treble presentation isn't to your liking try to pick up elex or clear pads. Elears can be had for much less than retail as well, so this is also likely the economical option, take a look at the FS forums here if that floats your boat.

What this guy said. I was part of the early AKG Massdrop headphones, they all got recalled due to quality issues. Was really bull waiting months for the headphones, get them and oh..look, I get to send them back and wait another month for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back