Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #5,476 of 6,742
The Dekoni pads are great, super stylish. The first thing any Elear owner should do is remove the stock pads and replace them with Dekoni or Elex pads. Speaking of which, no, the Dekoni fen sheepskin don’t turn the Elear into an Elex. They definitely ‘fix’ the stock Elear sound, are more comfy and better looking, but they’re also a bit more bassy, a touch less refined in the mids, than the smoother, more cohesive Elex sound. You should be able to order Elex pads if and when Massdrop have another drop - I’m definitely ordering a second pair when they drop because these material pads don’t last forever. They make a great flavour and comfort change from the Dekoni pads too, so depending on your mood or track you can change to either.
Is the Elear with Elex pads the same/as good as the Elex?

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #5,479 of 6,742
The Dekoni pads are great, super stylish. The first thing any Elear owner should do is remove the stock pads and replace them with Dekoni or Elex pads. Speaking of which, no, the Dekoni fen sheepskin don’t turn the Elear into an Elex. They definitely ‘fix’ the stock Elear sound, are more comfy and better looking, but they’re also a bit more bassy, a touch less refined in the mids, than the smoother, more cohesive Elex sound. You should be able to order Elex pads if and when Massdrop have another drop - I’m definitely ordering a second pair when they drop because these material pads don’t last forever. They make a great flavour and comfort change from the Dekoni pads too, so depending on your mood or track you can change to either.

Cheers for this. As I said, though, we don’t have massdrop around these parts.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #5,480 of 6,742
I ended up getting the Elex pads on Massdrop which I've been using for over a month. They're slightly more comfortable (which helps push the elear over the edge comfort-wise) & sexier than stock. Soundwise the difference is slight, not make or break, but I feel they were worth the money as I'm not sure how affordable it is to order backups otherwise.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #5,481 of 6,742
I ended up getting the Elex pads on Massdrop which I've been using for over a month. They're slightly more comfortable (which helps push the elear over the edge comfort-wise) & sexier than stock. Soundwise the difference is slight, not make or break, but I feel they were worth the money as I'm not sure how affordable it is to order backups otherwise.
They’re definitely more comfortable and I find the sound profile very different to the Elear. Much more balanced across the board with less ‘shoutiness’ and less midbass. Probably the most balanced and dynamic headphone I’ve heard to date (with the Elex pads that is).

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #5,482 of 6,742
Do the Elex or the Elear need a burn-in ? if yes how long ?

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #5,483 of 6,742
Well I was just about to enjoy my Elear's the forth pair (4th) yes I've had to go through now 4 pairs of Focal Elear's, ALL died this time it's the right driver and all within 2 years. It's just weird I own 14 pairs of hp's and the only one I've had issues with is always Focal's I really love their sound. Does anyone here have the email address for Focal North America I'm so frustrated right now I can't seem to find them listed on the net. Thanks guys, sure glad I didn't order the Clear's almost did the other day..

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #5,484 of 6,742
Well I was just about to enjoy my Elear's the forth pair (4th) yes I've had to go through now 4 pairs of Focal Elear's, ALL died this time it's the right driver and all within 2 years. It's just weird I own 14 pairs of hp's and the only one I've had issues with is always Focal's I really love their sound. Does anyone here have the email address for Focal North America I'm so frustrated right now I can't seem to find them listed on the net. Thanks guys, sure glad I didn't order the Clear's almost did the other day..
You must be the unluckiest Elear owner in history! Either that or they meet repairing your pair very poorly. Perhaps it’s come time for a switch? I love my Elear (now Elex with new pads) but even a single driver failure would spell the end of that relationship for me.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #5,486 of 6,742
You must be the unluckiest Elear owner in history! Either that or they meet repairing your pair very poorly. Perhaps it’s come time for a switch? I love my Elear (now Elex with new pads) but even a single driver failure would spell the end of that relationship for me.

interesting, how is the dnamics of the auteur compared to the elear ?

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #5,487 of 6,742
Elear more punchy
Auteur more fluid
Auteur better with my tube amp
Elear better with ss (with a little power behind it)

Auteur the better headphone and more layering details coming through

I found elear is a solid versatile hp
Auteur a great complimenting headphone that is better depending on preferences and set up. Maybe not as versatile but beings more magic. And that goes for dynamics/nuances too

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #5,488 of 6,742
The Elex/Elear excel in dynamics. It’s what they’re known for. Probably the most dynamic sounding ‘dynamic’ driver headphones on the market today. So the Auteur doesn’t quite match the Elex in dynamics, but it makes up for it in realism, timbre accuracy and soundstage, to name a few.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #5,489 of 6,742
Hello guys!
Bad news: the right pavilion of my headphones is dead I guess. But if I put the right channel of my cable on the left pavilion, I don't hear anything as well, it happens the same if I put the left channel of my cable in the right pavilion, nothing.
So I can hear only the left side. Any advice or clue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back